Determining left / right inside or outside pivots or sweeps

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, I have both of Stan's videos and watched all his you tubes. Also seen Bob Nunley's you tube on determing sweeps.
Waiting like everyone else (I am) who's interested for his book and TS.
Here's my question and I'll explain it.
When trying to determine sweeps/ pivots, inside or outside your supposed to be able to determine which it is, once you do the next part you should be able to determine if it's thick or thin. Alot of times I know which it is just because I can see the shot, but not always.
So if someone can just tell me what I 'm supposed to be looking at, it would be appreciated.
I get the visuals, see the fixed cb, and supposed to look through center cb to see if its thick or thin.
I'm not behind either line. I'm not supposed to be looking down the CTEL or the edge to a, b or c lines.

So, when looking through the cb center, after doing the above, what am I supposed to be looking at through center cb ?

I'm thinking it's simple, I'm just not seeing it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, I have both of Stan's videos and watched all his you tubes. Also seen Bob Nunley's you tube on determing sweeps.
When trying to determine sweeps/ pivots, inside or outside your supposed to be able to determine which it is, once you do the next part you should be able to determine if it's thick or thin. Alot of times I know which it is just because I can see the shot, but not always.
So if someone can just tell me what I 'm supposed to be looking at, it would be appreciated.
I get the visuals, see the fixed cb, and supposed to look through center cb to see if its thick or thin.
I'm not behind either line. I'm not supposed to be looking down the CTEL or the edge to a, b or c lines.

So, when looking through the cb center, after doing the above, what am I supposed to be looking at through center cb ?

You really just need to do a SEARCH. There are a zillion posts on here dealing with this. Also, Stan has quite a few vids on YT dealing with this.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen it before. I'm going to just try reviewing more yt.
Maybe someone will be able to give me an answer.
Thanks for the reply.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member

A lot of good info on this site:

http://www.billiardsthegame.com/offset-and-pivot-aiming-systems-395

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Nobody will just answer a simple question?
Wasn't Hal's version ALWAYS from left to right ?

CTE pivot must be so complicated and must be in secrecy even though nobody owns CTE.

Geometrically, the pivot should be the same angle and direction from the center of the ob to the contact point on no english shots.
But, that's double the distance aiming. lol

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When trying to determine sweeps/ pivots, inside or outside your supposed to be able to determine which it is, once you do the next part you should be able to determine if it's thick or thin.

This is a little confusing the way you worded it.
The visual give you thick or thin which i turn determines the left or right pivot.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody will just answer a simple question?
Wasn't Hal's version ALWAYS from left to right ?

Hal initially taught both left and right pivots.
He then told you that they could all be left to right but quite often left that for the student to figure out how to do.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets say for an example a Left cut to the upper R corner.
OB is a few inches off the long rail about even with the 2nd diamond on the R side. the CB is a few inches off the short rail and maybe a little less then a diamond away from the R rail . Close enough in line that you know its not a B.
So your visuals are CB Left edge to A. CTEL to the R side of OB.
Your not behind either line. You now have a fixed CB. The shot is either a inside {left) or outside (right) sweep / pivot.
The shot is hard to determine if its left or right sweep / pivot.
So now you've got your visuals, fixed CB and your supposed to look at the center CB and you should be able to tell whether its going to need to be a thick or thin cut. The part I'm not getting, is when I look at the Center CB, where / what am I looking at / through the center CB that tells me to either thin it or thicken it.
Hope that explains it better.

stockbob55

Registered
Ok, once you have your perception and the fixed cue ball.
Look through center cue ball to imagine the resulting path of the object ball.
Does it hit the rail thick or thin of the pocket?
If it would would appear be a too thick contact then you need to thin the shot, which would be a half
tip pivot from the inside...
and vice versa.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it would would appear be a too thick contact then you need to thin the shot, which would be a half
and vice versa.

That's what I was trying to determine. I'm sure I knew it at one time, but couldn't remember.
Thanks for the reply.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
and vice versa.

Bingo! No easier way to explain it.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, we were lead wrong then.
Thanks.

Nah, it was Hal being Hal. And you couldn't blame him with all the bullshit flung around him. Besides figuring out the whole "everything can be left to right" is a challenge well worth the end result.