Dispelling the myth: Magic Chalk

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If you watch any of the shows on tv about smuggling, it would be easy to have cocaine
or some other profitable drug inside the chalk. So the only way to be certain it is truly
chalk and only chalk, core samples must be taken. Guess what? If you transport a cue
into or out of the USA and it has what looks to be ivory, the same thing will happen with
your cue. There will be core samples taken to confirm if it is ivory, the type and the age.
The hall pass is to have a CITES certificate for your cue(s) but none have been issued.
Absent that, bring all your documentation for your pool cue or else leave it safe at home.

Yeah, with chalk I only lose 20 bucks or so on 4 or 5 messed up boxes, so not too bad. I'm assuming they destroy the cue if they drill into it. That would suck.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I have bought Magic and Blue Diamond and used them all the time.
Couple weeks ago I played all day and left those chalks in my case.
I played with Masters and never miscued or noticed any difference.
I do have the habit of chalking before every shot or two.

When my high end chalks wear out it's back to Masters.
$5.00 a cube or free and no difference?
For me that's an easy decision.
And I gave up on layered tips also.

I wonder if anyone on here ever notices that SVB uses Masters Chalk on a regular basis?

I'm using Predator 1080 right now because somebody gave me a sleeve of it. To me, it's just like Masters Blue. When I run out I too will be going back to Masters.

Maniac

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, just by habit I always chalk between every shot. I promise you will be impressed by the Taom chalk for it's cleanliness. You can play with it for hours with absolutely nothing showing on the cue ball or on the cloth. I always brush my table after practicing on it by habit, but really there is no reason to even brush the table after a session when playing with the Taom Pyro chalk. Like I said, the price is likely the only reason it is not very popular. As it takes forever to go through a single piece, to me the price is not a factor when considering the importance of my pool game to me as well as the importance of playing with a clean cue ball and clean cloth throughout a long session. The only problem is you can't make your opponent use the Taom chalk as well, so the cue ball / cloth will invariably get chalk marks.

Everything ^^^^^^^^^ said is true at my house except the opponent not using it.

If the table belongs to me, the chalk that is used on it will be a chalk approved by me or they don't play. No exceptions...

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It had better last a really, really long time.
I checked the price of Taom pool chalk.

It is absurdly priced. If you want clean, then
try Blue Diamond at a fraction of the price.

A carton of Blue Diamond on eBay is selling
for $115; 4 boxes are selling for $22.53. The
chalk is as clean as any I have tried & seems
like a bargain compared with Taom & others.

I bought a BD carton (25 boxes) several years
ago & still have 1/2 carton left. I use it mainly for
its cleanliness since I apply chalk on every shot.

BD works as well as any chalk and in contrast to
some other chalks, especially Taom, it’s a bargain.

You and I have a lot in common when talking about cue specs. Almost identical.

For chalk though, we don't. BD is not even close to taom in cleanliness....not even close.

If I'm willing to spend just north of 9k for my table and accessories and a few more thousand for pool cues, I don't think twice about $20 to $30 once or twice a year on chalk.

Putting cost aside, IMO...the cleaner the chalk the less maintenance I have to do. At my current state of health I'm appreciative of anything that makes it easier for me to play. Taom chalk added almost 30 minutes to my playing time every day. I use to spend about 30 minutes a day cleaning the felt, rails and balls after sessions. Since starting with taom chalk I spend about 30 minutes a week....total on cleaning everything and could probably go longer than that, but I'm very picky about such things.

Jeff

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff,

If I had the home table set-up you have, I’d also want nothing but the best for my accessories.
And just like you, cleanliness would be #1 since my pre-shot routine is never going to change.
My venue is strictly in pool halls so TAOM’s cleanliness wouldn’t matter versus what I’m using.

Matt B.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything ^^^^^^^^^ said is true at my house except the opponent not using it.

If the table belongs to me, the chalk that is used on it will be a chalk approved by me or they don't play. No exceptions...

Jeff
Just try doing that when you own/operate a pool hall and see how that goes over with your customers!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff,

If I had the home table set-up you have, I’d also want nothing but the best for my accessories.
And just like you, cleanliness would be #1 since my pre-shot routine is never going to change.
My venue is strictly in pool halls so TAOM’s cleanliness wouldn’t matter versus what I’m using.

Matt B.

Understood sir.

I currently use Magic Chalk when I'm in public rooms. When the magic chalk is used up, I will go back to masters chalk.

Then again, I forgot that I've got BD, Kamui and numerous other brands of chalk in my pool cue cabinet. So, I guess I'll go back to Masters Chalk when all the various pieces I have are used.

It may be mute point in my case. It will probably take me a decade or more to use all the various chalks I own.

Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to live long enough and stay healthy enough to actually use what I already have. If I am, I will most certainly go back to Masters chalk for public rooms but, will stick with taom unless someone comes out with an even cleaner chalk that still works as well.

Jeff

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Oh, I forgot about the room owner part. Yes sir, in your case it wouldn't be an option unless you don't like money.

Jeff

Or you’re willing to buy tons of Taom for people to steal lol.. Maybe hand out 1 piece with the balls and keep hold of a credit card or a hundred spot deposit : )

Thanks the rundown fellas. I’ll check them out for sure.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or you’re willing to buy tons of Taom for people to steal lol.. Maybe hand out 1 piece with the balls and keep hold of a credit card or a hundred spot deposit : )

Thanks the rundown fellas. I’ll check them out for sure.
Not a bad idea to consider. In our rural location, we wouldn't require holding a driver's license or anything for the balls and chalk, as we've never had a problem. We could give out one piece of Taom or Magic chalk per table with the tray of balls, then confirm it is returned when the customer checks in the balls. I would just have to count on our waitstaff to follow through on confirming the chalk is in the tray. Using Taom chalk would be easier for the waitstaff to confirm, as it is round in shape as opposed to the standard square shape.

Most of our recreational players would have absolutely no idea how expensive the chalk is so would have no reason to steal it, particularly if they know it's going to be checked when they turn in the balls. We would just need to invest about $350 on 20 pieces of Taom chalk or $120 for 40 pieces of Magic chalk, so I'd have backups along with the 10 pieces we'd start with for our 10 tables. My guess is each 10 pieces of Taom chalk ($175) would likely last 4-6 months. Each 10 pieces of Magic chalk ($30) might last 1 month, so there is minimal price difference between the two considering how long they last.

Last edited: