Teachers Billiards, St. Louis trip (Long post)

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I wanted to post our experience from this past weekend, as I feel that it was an awful way to treat people and of action protocol.

2 of us went out looking to play. No ducking around, or snapping off YMCA tournaments, just grabbing a table and seeing if anyone was looking for a game.

Let me preface this with saying the guy with me wasn't a player, not a shortstop, he plays well, but is not near the shortstop speed from where we are.

We had been all around, and finally before going home we decided to stop at Teachers Billiards in St. Louis. Grabbed some balls, and got a table, then my back gave out, so I stopped playing. The guy I was with asked a few people playing one pocket if they knew any place to get a few games as we had been to 5 other places in St. Louis and hadn't had any luck.

Here's where it should have been a clue of what was to come.

He asked where we were from, and we tell him, he says "you guys are a bunch of nits and lock artists just like that Strong Arm and George" He doesn't know us, and we asked to play, (offered our names, and oh, he didn't offer his, nor his hand)

The unknown friend of Andy throws out an amount, and my guy begins to play.

Here is the move of the century. The guy is 3 games up (for a decent amount) and all the while he is saying that he (the unknown ST Louis player) can't win and my guy plays better than he does. Non stop talking and sharking. My guy gets his headphones out and puts them on and wins a game back.

The other guy says that he can't win, but he'll call someone to play, either we can play. He is up 2 games at this point, and says we can play Justin Bergman, but he doesn't want to keep playing. Although he will be kind enough and play us one more so that we aren't stuck so much or 2 more so we can get even. So the best if we win the games is even, the worst is 4 games stuck.

Then Andy comes in and sits down (granted he hadn't been there for any of the previous conversations) and begins to take the side of who he said was his friend.

So let's review our options.

We can keep playing to try and get even or be stuck 4 games.
We can play the player that someone "called" who is undoubtedly better than the person we are playing.

We can leave and cut our losses.

We left, all the while listening to how much this unknown guy will bet, how he has more money than anyone, and his group of friends co signing the entire way.

The various sites and people said this was an "us vs them" type of atmosphere, and I have to agree. We played in 8 different halls, not one issue, we had fun, and everyone was incredibly nice. This place ruined St. Louis for us for sure, and we would have never treated anyone coming through here like he treated us.

If anyone knows who he is, I sure would like to know (sure it wouldn't be hard to find out)

Oh, last but not least, he added that no one from Indiana can play, and anyone can come to his house and play Justin Bergman, I'm not so sure Justin wants this guy being his mouthpiece and speaking up for him, but maybe so.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Stew_Pidaso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which night was this? I am thinking you are confusing Andy Hurwitz with someone else. What did this "Andy Hurwitz" look like and what did the "player" look like?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to post our experience from this past weekend, as I feel that it was an awful way to treat people and of action protocol.

2 of us went out looking to play. No ducking around, or snapping off YMCA tournaments, just grabbing a table and seeing if anyone was looking for a game.

Let me preface this with saying the guy with me wasn't a player, not a shortstop, he plays well, but is not near the shortstop speed from where we are.

We had been all around, and finally before going home we decided to stop at Teachers Billiards in St. Louis. Grabbed some balls, and got a table, then my back gave out, so I stopped playing. The guy I was with asked a few people playing one pocket if they knew any place to get a few games as we had been to 5 other places in St. Louis and hadn't had any luck.

Here's where it should have been a clue of what was to come.

He asked where we were from, and we tell him, he says "you guys are a bunch of nits and lock artists just like that Strong Arm and George" He doesn't know us, and we asked to play, (offered our names, and oh, he didn't offer his, nor his hand)

The unknown friend of Andy Hurwitz throws out an amount, and my guy begins to play.

Here is the move of the century. The guy is 3 games up (for a decent amount) and all the while he is saying that he (the unknown ST Louis player) can't win and my guy plays better than he does. Non stop talking and sharking. My guy gets his headphones out and puts them on and wins a game back.

The other guy says that he can't win, but he'll call someone to play, either we can play. He is up 2 games at this point, and says we can play Justin Bergman, but he doesn't want to keep playing. Although he will be kind enough and play us one more so that we aren't stuck so much or 2 more so we can get even. So the best if we win the games is even, the worst is 4 games stuck.

Then Andy comes in and sits down (granted he hadn't been there for any of the previous conversations) and begins to take the side of who he said was his friend.

So let's review our options.

We can keep playing to try and get even or be stuck 4 games.
We can play the player that someone "called" who is undoubtedly better than the person we are playing.

We can leave and cut our losses.

We left, all the while listening to how much this unknown guy will bet, how he has more money than anyone, and his group of friends co signing the entire way.

The various sites and people said this was an "us vs them" type of atmosphere, and I have to agree. We played in 8 different halls, not one issue, we had fun, and everyone was incredibly nice. This place ruined St. Louis for us for sure, and we would have never treated anyone coming through here like he treated us.

If anyone knows who he is, I sure would like to know (sure it wouldn't be hard to find out)

Oh, last but not least, he added that no one from Indiana can play, and anyone can come to his house and play Justin Bergman, I'm not so sure Justin wants this guy being his mouthpiece and speaking up for him, but maybe so.

Thanks for reading.

Physical description please.

Lou Figueroa

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Sunday 7PM.

Man and wife playing on one table.

Guy we played and another guy playing on one of the 2 9ft tables (one pocket)
5'9 220 balding probably 45 yrs old. Sweat pants and a St. Louis billiard shirt on.

The Andy kid was probably late 20's beard, small case with shaft in the jump cue pocket sticking out.

Which night was this? I am thinking you are confusing Andy Hurwitz with someone else. What did this "Andy Hurwitz" look like and what did the "player" look like?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sunday 7PM.

Man and wife playing on one table.

Guy we played and another guy playing on one of the 2 9ft tables (one pocket)
5'9 220 balding probably 45 yrs old. Sweat pants and a St. Louis billiard shirt on.

The Andy kid was probably late 20's beard, small case with shaft in the jump cue pocket sticking out.

Well, based on that skimpy info it's tough to say with any certainty so I won't say a name but I think I know who you ended up playing.

Let me just say that in any case he is not representative of how players behave around here. By and large the players around here are civil and honorable, even old school. Sorry you had a bad experience, it happens.

Lou Figueroa

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I appreciate that Lou.

We enjoyed every other hall we played in, even though we didn't get any action.

The whole "let me call someone" and it's a Justin Bergman is rather funny.

Here, as most ppl who have come through know, we don't treat people like that, and are incredibly welcoming.

Oh well.

Well, based on that skimpy info it's tough to say with any certainty so I won't say a name but I think I know who you ended up playing.

Let me just say that in any case he is not representative of how players behave around here. By and large the players around here are civil and honorable, even old school. Sorry you had a bad experience, it happens.

Lou Figueroa

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Lou - where are you playing now that The Break has closed?

As to this experience, I hear there are two sides to every story.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
There are 2 sides.
If you can find a differing one, please let me know.

You've been over to Indy haven't you watchez? Treated well correct? Any issues while over here? Get sharked, have moves put on, been ganged up on?

Why is there any reason to believe that what I took the time to post is incorrect?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I've been to Indy twice related to pool -- John Waynes and Brickyard.

John Waynes when I was there was the Jeanette Lee Calcutta incident. Would you care to make a comment on your stance of that and if you have an issue with that?

Brickyard - no issues. Tommy is a perfect gentleman. I've know Brian Groce for years and always fun to be around. Brian Gregg treats everyone like a gentleman. And I'll state that Strong Arm has more gamble than 98% of the pool world.

But to make more of what 'happened' to you in St Louis than what it is, well is simply ridiculous. I had 3 people that I all respect their opinion and were there tell me that the St Louis player and your boy Brian Wilson only played 3 games. You were one game loser and told the best you could get was even cause the St Louis player knew he couldn't win. Then it turned into a typical pool woofing match of Brian Groce will play Bergman anything, etc etc.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I'm glad that the 3 people that were there who you all respect took that stance.

I know how many games were played, so do they. You obviously have 0 comment on the methods of "I can't win, no way I can win" while my guy was shooting. And of course the whole phone a friend attitude.

Ya left out that the attitude of immediately calling someone derogatory names based on where they are from.

There were 3 other present, all of which are friend to the incident and of course what would they do, side with someone from out of town who they wont ever see again.

If you condone that attitude, and the actions they took , then that says a lot about you.

P.S. the Brian comment was when they said no one in Indiana does anything but steal and there are no gamblers at all.

I've been to Indy twice related to pool -- John Waynes and Brickyard.

John Waynes when I was there was the Jeanette Lee Calcutta incident. Would you care to make a comment on your stance of that and if you have an issue with that?

Brickyard - no issues. Tommy is a perfect gentleman. I've know Brian Groce for years and always fun to be around. Brian Gregg treats everyone like a gentleman. And I'll state that Strong Arm has more gamble than 98% of the pool world.

But to make more of what 'happened' to you in St Louis than what it is, well is simply ridiculous. I had 3 people that I all respect their opinion and were there tell me that the St Louis player and your boy Brian Wilson only played 3 games. You were one game loser and told the best you could get was even cause the St Louis player knew he couldn't win. Then it turned into a typical pool woofing match of Brian Groce will play Bergman anything, etc etc.

chandler1968

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Teachers

Hello U12,
My name is Jay Pettlon and I was the one playing Jake when you came in. You two got off to a rough start in the negotiating and by that time, even when I was pleasant to you, you were in no mood to be friendly.

I left but had a feeling words were going to be exchanged.

There are players in St. Louis that will gamble also, including myself.

Jay

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Hi Jay,

Well when you (the guy we played) call someone a nit and lock artist out of the gate...

Was he in the right for that? If he didn't want to play, no worries, we had fun for 2 days.

I don't remember any conversation we had though, as I was in the booth next to the table. Bad back and such.
I found you to be quiet and otherwise not like the guy we played though, and I thank you either way.

Hello U12,
My name is Jay Pettlon and I was the one playing Jake when you came in. You two got off to a rough start in the negotiating and by that time, even when I was pleasant to you, you were in no mood to be friendly.

I left but had a feeling words were going to be exchanged.

There are players in St. Louis that will gamble also, including myself.

Jay

Last edited:

chandler1968

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U12,

Teacher's is a good place to go. Good people, good equipment and good food.
There are a lot of people gambling and matching up in there, so don't let one bad experience prevent you from coming back. The "you vs us" attitude I do not believe is any more prevalent there than anywhere else where a local is playing an out-of-towner.

Jay

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Thanks again Jay.
Kind of you to post, and I appreciate it.

U12,

Teacher's is a good place to go. Good people, good equipment and good food.
There are a lot of people gambling and matching up in there, so don't let one bad experience prevent you from coming back. The "you vs us" attitude I do not believe is any more prevalent there than anywhere else where a local is playing an out-of-towner.

Jay

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
If you condone that attitude, and the actions they took , then that says a lot about you.

Did any of my posts make it personal towards you -- all I said was that I heard a different story. Now that it has been said, you have to swing it to making some kind of attack on my character. That says a lot about you.....and more insight to probably what happens when you enter a pool room and the response you receive.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Still at The Break for a couple of hours during the day, watchez. (When they started closing during the day last summer Mark gave me a key.) But, I expect that may come to an end at any moment. Sounds like Teacher's is the place nowadays.

As to the two sides, yes, but you gotta admit it's pretty easy to ID who was involved on this one :)

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did any of my posts make it personal towards you -- all I said was that I heard a different story. Now that it has been said, you have to swing it to making some kind of attack on my character. That says a lot about you.....and more insight to probably what happens when you enter a pool room and the response you receive.

I thought the same thing.

I have gone to more pool rooms than almost anyone, as I traveled quite a bit.

I play cheap, I mean really cheap. I am not a great player. But play $5 or $10 game 9 ball or $10 or $20 game one pocket. If that makes me a nit, then so be it.

Never had an issue, but reading the different accounts of a single event, I can, like Watchez, imagine what the real deal was.

Ken