How Much More Time Do You Give Mark Wilson To Captain Team USA?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the USA Team needs are players who play as a team. Nothing against SVB or Mike Dechaine, I do not know or have any personal ill wills towards them, but they just do not seem like team players. I love me some Rodney Morris and it's true what they say about him, he's got a huge heart and the other players listen and respect him, but his time is up.

If you ask me, the USA needed to look at guys like Wilkie. He's the kind of player who even though is considered a low/mid level pro player, would be perfect for a team based tournament. He has no major sponsors or nothing to gain or lose, so he really would not see as much pressure as some of these guys get due to how high in the pecking order in pool they are.

find a few players like that and trust me, they will get engrained in their heads that the mosconi cup will basically be their end all be all in their pool careers and will be more together than our past teams have been.

As for coaches, Tony Robles and Johnny Archer are great choices if it Mark Wilson is to be replaced. Robles is a guy who wishes to see people do nothing but improve their game. And his knowledge is top notch. The same goes for Archer.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted prior to the start that the Euros had entirely too much firepower. They simply have a bigger talent pool in which to assemble their team. Does anyone think Mika Immonen, Nick Van Den Berg, David Alcaide, Karl Boyes, Daryl Peach, Thorsten Holman et al would not make this USA team if they were eligible?

That being said, WIlson has got to go. In his 3 years as captain I have never understood his lineups. Why Bergman and Woodward was not the opening doubles team today is a big enough reason to fire him. His whole approach has failed miserably. His team has yet to win a single session. Geez, you'd think they would have lucked into at least one. Top it off with the opening interview comment yesterday "We just don't want to suck" is the most shocking thing I've ever heard out of any coach involved in an event of this magnitude. Really??????

As far as Van Boening is concerned, he isn't the first dominant individual American athletic to play sub-par in a team competition. Just take a look at Tiger Woods record in the Ryder Cup. Some guys just aren't wired for it. But you have to keep him on the team regardless.

I don't have any brilliant suggestions on what the answer might be (although I liked the Manila idea), but the Wilson program has to be shut down. Another year of this wanders into unwatchable territory.

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We need a captain that can inspire our players. Instill a positive, winning mindset, and make sure our players can be focused without losing sight that it's only a game.

Right now, it only takes one little mistake to completely bring down anyone on the team.

I rooted for Mark when he was first selected, but now I think it's time to move on. My picks would be Robles or Archer.

The obvious choice for captain is.......... Rodney Morris! He's got the talent to coach and advise the team, the positive attitude to lift spirits and would really get players to gel into a proper team.

IMO, Morris as captain and a squad of youth players is the best shot USA has to turn around a quite sorry state of affairs.

Having the tournament cut short because it's not going to make it into the final day is an insult to a team that's in dire need of being put out their misery! Imagine if they said at the Ryder Cup "Right folks, Europe is up 7-2 so we are only going to play 9 holes today!" :eek:

chandler1968

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted prior to the start that the Euros had entirely too much firepower. They simply have a bigger talent pool in which to assemble their team. Does anyone think Mika Immonen, Nick Van Den Berg, David Alcaide, Karl Boyes, Daryl Peach, Thorsten Holman et al would not make this USA team if they were eligible?

That being said, WIlson has got to go. In his 3 years as captain I have never understood his lineups. Why Bergman and Woodward was not the opening doubles team today is a big enough reason to fire him. His whole approach has failed miserably. His team has yet to win a single session. Geez, you'd think they would have lucked into at least one. Top it off with the opening interview comment yesterday "We just don't want to suck" is the most shocking thing I've ever heard out of any coach involved in an event of this magnitude. Really??????

As far as Van Boening is concerned, he isn't the first dominant individual American athletic to play sub-par in a team competition. Just take a look at Tiger Woods record in the Ryder Cup. Some guys just aren't wired for it. But you have to keep him on the team regardless.

I don't have any brilliant suggestions on what the answer might be (although I liked the Manila idea), but the Wilson program has to be shut down. Another year of this wanders into unwatchable territory.

I believe there is a rule prohibiting the same doubles team more than once.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The obvious choice for captain is.......... Rodney Morris! He's got the talent to coach and advise the team, the positive attitude to lift spirits and would really get players to gel into a proper team.

IMO, Morris as captain and a squad of youth players is the best shot USA has to turn around a quite sorry state of affairs.

Having the tournament cut short because it's not going to make it into the final day is an insult to a team that's in dire need of being put out their misery! Imagine if they said at the Ryder Cup "Right folks, Europe is up 7-2 so we are only going to play 9 holes today!" :eek:

Couldn't agree more regarding the match being cut short. It's obvious that MatchRoom is trying to protect the 4th day gate receipts. Refunds would be a disaster.

So what happens if the Euros win the first 3 tomorrow?

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I haven't read all the replies so I apologize if I am being redundant.

It cracks me up that Shane and Mike are playing poorly yet people want to blame the coach for the failures. I watched a lot of fans loose their sh!t when Mark made his picks calling it favoritism and crap like that. Guess what, the players he picked has had the most positive impact. He has prepped the team and done his best to keep them focused and positive.

Shane is obviously one of the best out there but he has struggled big time this year. His attitude seems disconnected from the rest of the team. There is only one person who can change that and that is Shane himself.

Maybe we should give some credit where credit is due, Europe has played extremely well. They have had some rolls go their way no doubt. But their line up has played pretty solid pool almost every match. Mark Gray and Neils played near perfect.

And what is it exactly that Archer would have done to make this outcome any different? Most likely he wouldn't have picked Bergman or Morris.....let that sink in. Now flame away with your nonsense.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well people wanted Jason Garret fired long ago add Dak and Zeke and he's doing pretty dam good , Mark simply has not had the horses plain and simple and guess what the horses don't exist thier sporting proven world class competotors across the board
Need look no father than the betting line to prove that
His approach of bringing in young guns and take it on the chin is absolutely the right approach I said all along this was atleast a 5 yr job hell they got guys in the stands that they could plug in and get the same results ,, no one wants to hear it but it's simply the fact regardless who we have or who runs the show ,

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Couldn't agree more regarding the match being cut short. It's obvious that MatchRoom is trying to protect the 4th day gate receipts. Refunds would be a disaster.

So what happens if the Euros win the first 3 tomorrow?

won't happen

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fully support the players who qualified for or were picked for this team. They are all proven entities and can match up against the team assembled for team Europe. One has to ask then............ why are they struggling?

The role of the captain is to ensure that the team jells as a team prior to the start of the competition and they come in confident, not false bravado but calm confidence.

"Being on a team-itis" is a type of pressure that these players do not experience often enough. Yes, they play in and win big events, big money matches etc. but in those situations the pressure on them to win is their own and the only person they will let down is themselves.

In this team environment, especially considering the poor record in recent years, they have the pressure of representing their country and the other members on their team; different kind of pressure. The captain must ensure that the pressure is spread out and all players feel they belong and if one drops a game the others will pick them up. They need to feel they have the trust of the captain and the rest of the team. In particular, players like SVB should not be put in a position where they are seen to carry the team. If not, when they lose there is an overall let down and the pressure builds. A captain that is so desperate to prove he can win does not create the right team environment and adds to the pressure.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like some of you, I was not amused to hear our captain's "not suck" comment in the opening interview. What a way to describe your team's talents and/or give them added pressure.

I also support Johnny Archer to be the next captain.

Our captain can't even get his player to tuck in his shirt to show professionalism and avoid potential fouls?! When Bergman walked down the steps with his shirt hanging out I had a feeling that he was going to foul sometime in the match.

That being said, Bergman and Woodward were a great team. You could tell by the way they play and in their post-win interview. What these young guns have is the magic that the whole team needs. Mutual respect, experiences playing doubles, and a forgive-and-forget attitude.

Not giving up on Team USA yet, but ending day 2 down five points doesn't give fans the warm and fuzzy.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's hard to place the blame solely on Mark's shoulders, but with that said, I would suggest Jimmy Mataya as captain. He has been lobbying for that role for many years and I think he would bring the fun back to the team. Plus he knows a thing or two about pool.

At the very least it will not be the same old thing, that's for sure.

Dave

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But that aside culture has to change we need team oriented players Euro team is much more in tune with that even having players who did not make the team there not home sucking thier thumbs ,

Yes, exactly....here's my post from the other thread.....

I'll have to say, watching the Europeans embrace the stage is quite impressive.
The post match expression between Darren and Albin after they won the hill hill match was as if two brothers just finished a marathon.
Darren in the post match interview says Albin's shot on the four was the best shot he's ever seen in his life. Albin responds with a brotherly kiss on the cheek. (What kind of confidence does a compliment like that from Darren Appleton give to a player?!)

These guys are like family.

Earlier, I watched skylar ask for Shane's advice on the safety off the 3, and Shane responds with "just hurry we're almost out of clock".

We are watching two different styles of play here. Just two different styles of embracing the spotlight and the sport.

Karl Boyes didn't even make the euro team, yet he was in the stands cheering (like Shaw was last year). You never see that on the American side and I believe it plays a major role.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The coach isn't the problem. The mindset of the American players is. There are a lot of factors that go into that, and no coach is going to automatically change that thinking in just a few days.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like some of you, I was not amused to hear our captain's "not suck" comment in the opening interview. What a way to describe your team's talents and/or give them added pressure. ,,,

I, too, cringed when I heard Wilson say that. But I think he was just trying to be funny (fail) with his opening comment; it's not how he really felt. Two sentences later he said: "We've prepared to win, we've trained to win, and we deserve to win."

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I am not a huge fan of Mark Wilson but he is irrelevant.

Get rid of him, don't get rid of him, it makes not one bit of difference because the USA does "not" have PLAYERS that can compete with the likes of Shaw, Ouschan, Appleton, Feijen, ect...

SVB has the skill to compete with the above players, but it is REALLY obvious to anyone with a lick of common sense that he has zero faith in the USA team and it negatively affects his own performance. I think SVB could potentially actually shoot well on a team if he actually though his team was full of his peers or equals that could back him up. But every time I watch him in the MC he looks like a guy who does not think his performance will matter one way or the other and that his team simple cannot win. He would never admit it, he would say "oh no, Sky and Bergman and Mike are great players and Rodney is a legend" but in reality he knows Shaw, Feijen, Appleton and Ouschan will shoot any of them into a coma in a proper world class event.

It is not the coach, it is the players. Beyond SVB the USA has no one winning world class events, you hardly have any players who even play in them FFS. How the heck are you going to beat a team full of world champions who compete constantly on the world stage?

Billy Thorpe? Justin Hall? Josh Roberts? Oscar? Against world champs like Albin, guys like Shaw who just won the Kuwait Open? Multi-time World champ and US open winners like Appleton? Yeah freaking right... Give me a freaking break, what is next the guy who won the APA singles last year? Yeah, he will have Albin shaking in his boots! Do you guys comprehend if Albin or Shaw plays Josh Roberts or Billy Thorpe in the World 9-ball championships in a race to 13 what the line would be in the Action Room for people betting actual money? That is a obscenely lopsided match.

The USA's problem is not the coach, you guys don't have the players to be able to win this. Sky is not good enough, Bergman is not good enough, Rodney is years past being good enough, Dechaine is not good enough, and SVB is not much better then 50/50 against team Europe in short races, they are all his actual peers and are all champions as well.

You cannot win this year, you won't win next year, and you wont win any of the 5 years after that the way things are looking. Europe is producing world champion caliber players, the USA is not, and there is nothing on the horizon that gives any indication whatsoever that is changing any time soon.

Archer as captain? Who cares, he is not going to miraculously make players better than they truly are.

When your team is full of players who would rather try to win $5,000 in a local USA bar box event than go to Asia and compete against the elites of the world like Ko, Chang, Albin, Wu, ect... to attempt to win a world class even you are going to lose. You can say "well that makes economic sense" but it is precisely a sign that these guys are not out there to become world class players and rise to the top, they want paydays, and second place in the Mosconi Cup is just another payday for them.

You CANNOT build a world class 5 player team with 1 world class player, it simply cannot be done.

Last edited: