Predator Revo Shafts

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
JoeyA have you hit with a 12.4mm as well as your 12mm? If so did they hit similar? If they did, it makes me super excited for the possible release of the 11.8mm

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I`ve tried both Revo shafts, with various tips and it`s just not for me, Predator continues their quest for low deflection, wich is fine, but the shafts have less and less feel to them and this is my biggest problem with the Revo shafts for shots that requires feel and finesse they lack feedback and have a dead feel to them. In 9 and 10 ball it`s not such a big deal as you don`t do as many finesse shots, but for straight pool where you must have absolute CB controll, and often on close distance shots I find it hard to judge my shot due to the lack of feedback.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just goes to show ya, it's different for everybody. I think the feedback and "feel" of the Revo shafts are outstanding. I think what most players have trouble with is the sound. It is definitely different than wood. However, imo, the performance and accuracy far outweighs the difference in sound.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I`ve tried both Revo shafts, with various tips and it`s just not for me, Predator continues their quest for low deflection, wich is fine, but the shafts have less and less feel to them and this is my biggest problem with the Revo shafts for shots that requires feel and finesse they lack feedback and have a dead feel to them. In 9 and 10 ball it`s not such a big deal as you don`t do as many finesse shots, but for straight pool where you must have absolute CB controll, and often on close distance shots I find it hard to judge my shot due to the lack of feedback.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
JoeyA have you hit with a 12.4mm as well as your 12mm? If so did they hit similar? If they did, it makes me super excited for the possible release of the 11.8mm

Yes, the 12.4 is quite good and very similar hitting with low cue ball deflection. The 11.8mm is quite small and I find that if I don't use it for just a couple of days, I have to work hard to get back to decent proficiency. I think I would like a 12.25 Revo, but that might not help my game either. Probably just need to turn back the clock. Lol

JoeyA

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Yes, the 12.4 is quite good and very similar hitting with low cue ball deflection. The 11.8mm is quite small and I find that if I don't use it for just a couple of days, I have to work hard to get back to decent proficiency. I think I would like a 12.25 Revo, but that might not help my game either. Probably just need to turn back the clock. Lol

JoeyA

Good to know, I'm comfortable with a 11.65mm as I used an Ultimate Weapon for a bit, so 11.8mm should fit right in.

Clarky

Registered
So, for people with experience with the Revo, and coming from playing a predator shaft before in the 314 realm, which diameter shaft did you prefer and why. 12.4 or 12.9?

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, for people with experience with the Revo, and coming from playing a predator shaft before in the 314 realm, which diameter shaft did you prefer and why. 12.4 or 12.9?
I prefer a fuller sized shaft and I prefer the taper of the 12.9

xnoitulos

(wordy) REVOiew

Ok this is for all who are now using a Revo shaft.
Whats the verdict?
Please provide a quick review.
Happy? Just Ok? Best shaft ever?
Thanks in advance.
gordml

Hi, this is my first post, and I'm excited to share my experience with the Revo. Right off the break (pun?) I have to let you know a few things; I've been playing for 30 years and this is my first cue! Less ability to compare, but can clearly sense the raw difference in play. Long story short, I told myself I don't deserve a cue until I can run out 3 racks in a row. Ran 2 in a row, but then dry break. Ordered a Valhalla 241 because it looks identical to the house cues at my spot. It arrived with a crack in the butt :mad:, possibly from temperature fluctuation during shipping, or super tiny knot in the wood. Either way, had to send it back for warrenty. Started reading around and came across the Revo. Was not easy, but found a SP2REVO4 (maybe the last one stateside). The replacement Valhalla arrived a couple weeks ago, so I've had a chance to play with both.

I want to touch on everything I've read in this thread, but let me start with what I believe is the greatest benefit of the Revo; highly resistant to damage! I'm sure it could get scratched or whatnot, but the typical stuff that will ding up a regular shaft doesn't faze the Revo at all. For example, I let my buddy shoot with the Valhalla while I played the Revo. I witnessed nothing abusive from him, but on it's very first day out it ended up with a decent dent near the joint, and another small ding in the middle of shaft. Meanwhile, the Revo has been knocked to the floor, banged against the rail, even let a partner use it while she was eating chicken and waffles! Zero damage and it's nice not worrying about it. I'm going to add this here, as far as I know the fatigue life for carbon/epoxy/composite is exceptionally high so I have no problem breaking with it also. It's quite stiff and yes I know it comes with a Victory soft tip, but no issues breaking, doubt it's ever going to get "rubbery".

i hate the sound it makes as it slides through my fingers
other than that it's fine

The surface texture of the shaft does produce noise when sliding across fingers, but so does a wood shaft! Unless someone wants to argue about the tone or intensity, it's just like any other cue.

I have the .4 and .9. Both as straight as day one and nick free. I'd buy it again. I'd recommend to a friend.

I only have the 12.9, and yes the idea of zero warpage is attractive. I will say this tho, it does seem to have about ~1.5mm of runout! When I roll it across the table, the middle of the shaft is off the felt and the gap clearly varies a small amount. Was definitely surprised by this.

I've been playing Predator shafts for 20+ years, starting with the 314, 314-2 then the Z, then the Z-2, then a Predator Vantage shaft the past few years. I switched to a Revo 12.9 shaft 3-4 months ago, so there was virtually no adjustment in shaft diameter for me, as the Vantage was very close to the same taper as the 12.9 Revo. The biggest adjustment for me was the "tingy" sound and the "less than solid" feel in comparison to a wood shaft like the Vantage. However, I quickly got used to that sound/feel with the immediately noticeable difference in decreased deflection - resulting in less adjustment in aiming, particularly for a longer shot (with distance between the CB and OB) when loading up with english. Also, no question I think I can also get more inside and outside english on the CB without having to go as far off center on the CB, resulting in being able to get more action off the rails for positioning. The smoothness and durability of the shaft was not an issue for me, as I wear a glove anyway, and I've always taken excellent care of my cue at all times, to avoid dings. A lesson I learned a long time ago - NEVER let anyone else use your cue - even just to try it out!

Bunch of good points here. Absolutely less deflection. I had to adjust my game because there is practically zero squirt! This leads right into the ability to get more english on the CB! Just think about it, shouldn't be hard to see how a stiffer shaft with less deflection can deliver more english. From my newfound experience I'd agree with you regarding any nice cue/shaft that can be damaged easily (read: wood). However, the Revo? No problem, go for it! (unless total knucklehead)

Last person I allowed to try out my cue, despite him being told in advance not to rake balls with the shaft, that is of course the first thing he did, so needless to say he didn't get to try it out for very long!

I had to laugh about this because I was just raking balls with my Revo, lol. Obviously, not something you want to do with a wood shaft. (of course I'm not batting them around, just pushing them.)

Maybe this is where my noobness shows, but I'd love someone to explain this. Plenty of talk about "feel" and "feedback". As far as I can tell, the only time you feel anything is AFTER you strike the CB! Is the cue going to tell you something during your stroke so that you can correct it?? Sure, AFTER you contact the CB often you know/feel whether it was a good shot, but never before or during. Even if you had extreme resolution feedback about your shot, you either hit it too hard, too soft, or just right. If your cue dampened all vibration and you felt nothing, you either hit it too hard, too soft, or just right. Regardless of what the cue does, it's all about your stroke and speed, and your eyeballs are giving you the feedback that truly matters! Am I crazy here? Is there a super feedback cue you can give to help a blind man's game? I'd bet somebody with numb hands can still run a table. I think it's more about knowing your cue AND your stroke.

They have hardly any deflection because they are so ugly they repel the ball before the tip can touch it.

lol, this statement is ridiculous. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Could leave it at that, but have read a couple other things about the color. Mostly that it's harder to sight the tip without a ferrule, and that it really looks tricky if you replace the tip with one that is black. I'm still using the stock Victory soft which is maroonish, and yeah the first few shots did look strange, but it quickly became natural with no distraction.

Now for a couple things I've yet to read in this thread. First, I read somewhere that this shaft maintains it's slick feel even when damp or even totally wet! I was truly excited about this ability, but it's plain false. I don't use a glove, and yes, it slides well, but sure enough when the hand gets damp it's just like any other cue, sticky, draggy. Went for the hand chalk and just like any other cue, problem solved.

Question: Does the Revo shaft eliminate the need for a glove, or, will you still need to wear a glove if your hands tend to sweat?
The second to last thing I wan't to mention is unique to this shaft. I have read it elsewhere also, but (how I can best describe it) dirt and oil somehow get embedded into the texture/porosity of the shaft. It's happened multiple multiple times now, and quite unsettling. Wipe it down, whatever, feels good, setup for the shot, alignment strokes, and then suddenly it's sticky! It's crazy, but real. Manifest quicker with closed bridge. What I've seen appear is tiny rolls of "dirt?" Quite similar to what you see if you rub your palms together hard when they're dirty. Today, it was happening time and time again, almost every other shot, even though I was diligently wiping the shaft off. Finally, I washed my hands thoroughly, and used a revo wipe on the shaft. Not much came off the shaft, but it did stop it from happening for last 3 racks. Packed it up, hit another table, and within a few strokes it was back:confused: Like I said, never had this with any other cue, and it occurs regularly with this one. I do think that a glove would probably solve this problem.

Extra Credit:
Before this thread dies, is it pronounced "rev-o" or "reev-o"?

I think it's from REV-Olution, but everyone I've ever talked to calls it a Ree-vo

Summary:
This cue can outperform everything else, but does have some quirks. Again, I went with it because it doesn't ding, knick, warp, discolor, etc. Hoping it's my first and last cue. :cool:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I only have the 12.9, and yes the idea of zero warpage is attractive. I will say this tho, it does seem to have about ~1.5mm of runout! When I roll it across the table, the middle of the shaft is off the felt and the gap clearly varies a small amount. Was definitely surprised by this.

Hi and welcome aboard. I will check my Rev's for any runout, daylight, etc

Cocoa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, this is my first post, and I'm excited to share my experience with the Revo. Right off the break (pun?) I have to let you know a few things; I've been playing for 30 years and this is my first cue! Less ability to compare, but can clearly sense the raw difference in play. Long story short, I told myself I don't deserve a cue until I can run out 3 racks in a row. Ran 2 in a row, but then dry break. Ordered a Valhalla 241 because it looks identical to the house cues at my spot. It arrived with a crack in the butt :mad:, possibly from temperature fluctuation during shipping, or super tiny knot in the wood. Either way, had to send it back for warrenty. Started reading around and came across the Revo. Was not easy, but found a SP2REVO4 (maybe the last one stateside). The replacement Valhalla arrived a couple weeks ago, so I've had a chance to play with both.

I want to touch on everything I've read in this thread, but let me start with what I believe is the greatest benefit of the Revo; highly resistant to damage! I'm sure it could get scratched or whatnot, but the typical stuff that will ding up a regular shaft doesn't faze the Revo at all. For example, I let my buddy shoot with the Valhalla while I played the Revo. I witnessed nothing abusive from him, but on it's very first day out it ended up with a decent dent near the joint, and another small ding in the middle of shaft. Meanwhile, the Revo has been knocked to the floor, banged against the rail, even let a partner use it while she was eating chicken and waffles! Zero damage and it's nice not worrying about it. I'm going to add this here, as far as I know the fatigue life for carbon/epoxy/composite is exceptionally high so I have no problem breaking with it also. It's quite stiff and yes I know it comes with a Victory soft tip, but no issues breaking, doubt it's ever going to get "rubbery".

The surface texture of the shaft does produce noise when sliding across fingers, but so does a wood shaft! Unless someone wants to argue about the tone or intensity, it's just like any other cue.

Bunch of good points here. Absolutely less deflection. I had to adjust my game because there is practically zero squirt! This leads right into the ability to get more english on the CB! Just think about it, shouldn't be hard to see how a stiffer shaft with less deflection can deliver more english. From my newfound experience I'd agree with you regarding any nice cue/shaft that can be damaged easily (read: wood). However, the Revo? No problem, go for it! (unless total knucklehead)

I had to laugh about this because I was just raking balls with my Revo, lol. Obviously, not something you want to do with a wood shaft. (of course I'm not batting them around, just pushing them.)

Maybe this is where my noobness shows, but I'd love someone to explain this. Plenty of talk about "feel" and "feedback". As far as I can tell, the only time you feel anything is AFTER you strike the CB! Is the cue going to tell you something during your stroke so that you can correct it?? Sure, AFTER you contact the CB often you know/feel whether it was a good shot, but never before or during. Even if you had extreme resolution feedback about your shot, you either hit it too hard, too soft, or just right. If your cue dampened all vibration and you felt nothing, you either hit it too hard, too soft, or just right. Regardless of what the cue does, it's all about your stroke and speed, and your eyeballs are giving you the feedback that truly matters! Am I crazy here? Is there a super feedback cue you can give to help a blind man's game? I'd bet somebody with numb hands can still run a table. I think it's more about knowing your cue AND your stroke.

lol, this statement is ridiculous. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Could leave it at that, but have read a couple other things about the color. Mostly that it's harder to sight the tip without a ferrule, and that it really looks tricky if you replace the tip with one that is black. I'm still using the stock Victory soft which is maroonish, and yeah the first few shots did look strange, but it quickly became natural with no distraction.

Now for a couple things I've yet to read in this thread. First, I read somewhere that this shaft maintains it's slick feel even when damp or even totally wet! I was truly excited about this ability, but it's plain false. I don't use a glove, and yes, it slides well, but sure enough when the hand gets damp it's just like any other cue, sticky, draggy. Went for the hand chalk and just like any other cue, problem solved.

The second to last thing I wan't to mention is unique to this shaft. I have read it elsewhere also, but (how I can best describe it) dirt and oil somehow get embedded into the texture/porosity of the shaft. It's happened multiple multiple times now, and quite unsettling. Wipe it down, whatever, feels good, setup for the shot, alignment strokes, and then suddenly it's sticky! It's crazy, but real. Manifest quicker with closed bridge. What I've seen appear is tiny rolls of "dirt?" Quite similar to what you see if you rub your palms together hard when they're dirty. Today, it was happening time and time again, almost every other shot, even though I was diligently wiping the shaft off. Finally, I washed my hands thoroughly, and used a revo wipe on the shaft. Not much came off the shaft, but it did stop it from happening for last 3 racks. Packed it up, hit another table, and within a few strokes it was back:confused: Like I said, never had this with any other cue, and it occurs regularly with this one. I do think that a glove would probably solve this problem.

Extra Credit:

I think it's from REV-Olution, but everyone I've ever talked to calls it a Ree-vo

Summary:
This cue can outperform everything else, but does have some quirks. Again, I went with it because it doesn't ding, knick, warp, discolor, etc. Hoping it's my first and last cue. :cool:

Welcome to AZ,

The little balls of dirt you describe are from the hand chalk that you should never use on Revo.

Clean everything with alcohol and start again, watch for cross contamination.

Your description of 1.5 mm runout must be with the shaft and butt together and thats a facing issue...roll the shaft by itself and check again

I had similar issues with mine and had Paul Drexler face my butt end and both roll perfect now.

pampi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How dare you comparing Tony's shaft to a REVO shaft!!! I guess they are both ferruless ...thas why the price is the same.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I'm currently playing with the 12.9 Revo. I can say that I actually like the feel and hit of the Revo. I would not trade it for any of the shafts I've played with over the past 30 plus years. Of course, hit and feel is different for each player but I like it very much personally. I am still zeroing in on controlling the CB. Draw seems to be much easier as does spin while remaining very very low deflection. I love my REVO. YMMV

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
After ordering a 12.4 mm Revo at the beginning of November, I still have yet to receive it. It is back-ordered pending import of more into the country. I am "patiently" waiting. (I did receive my Dark Matter "Becue" break cue today though. It definitely has a different feel, but I like it so far).

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a chance to hit with one last night at league and I am now seriously considering buying one when they become available again. I was shocked at how much I liked the hit of it.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I finally got mine yesterday (12.4 mm). It came literally minutes before I left for league. I decided to play with it last night, even though it was brand new to me.

I ran the first two racks that I played with it. It honestly didn't feel way different than my normal shaft to me. The texture obviously feel different in your hand, but the hit and feedback felt pretty good to me. So far, I like it.

I did let one teammate hit a couple shots with it. His only comment was that it felt "different" in his bridge hand to him. I say, it's a keeper.