Lead tape

GrayBeard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been thinking of experimenting with forward weighting vs. rear weighting on my cue
by using lead tape. Has anyone tried that? It seems like it would be an easy way to
change the balance without messing with weight bolts. Any thoughts? How much weight
would be enough to effectively change the balance point?

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been thinking of experimenting with forward weighting vs. rear weighting on my cue
by using lead tape. Has anyone tried that? It seems like it would be an easy way to
change the balance without messing with weight bolts. Any thoughts? How much weight

Here is a good product.

https://www.amazon.com/Brampton-Lea...1535449949&sr=8-3&keywords=adhesive+lead+tape

You will know when the weight distribution of the cue feels right while in the shooting position. Just keep layering the tape upfront on the shaft joint and then on the butt cap.

Once you feel you have reached the feel you want remove the tape from the shaft joint and the butt cap. Take the tape (don't forget to mark which is which) to a cue maker and have them install permanent weights in the same areas.

It's fun to experiment. :)

John

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would think it should. I use to put it on all my Tennis Rackets. Should effectively change any balance point to whatever you are wanting.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Yup, I used solder and wrapped it around the cue. When I got it like I wanted I put some tape over it. Funny, I used the cue like that for several years. I think most people thought I had broken the cue and taped it up. I played in some big tournaments with that cue and it got a lot of second looks.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't think it will alter the balance point very much in small quantities

when i put an 8 inch 6 oz extension on my cue it really moved the balance point back

i think you will be able to find what you like to play with,
i hope you keep us informed with your results

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of this sounds pretty interesting to try out. I was reading the reviews for the tape and one guy said once it’s on it’s not coming off. Would this damage the finish of the cue in any way?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a good product.
https://www.amazon.com/Brampton-Lea...1535449949&sr=8-3&keywords=adhesive+lead+tape
You will know when the weight distribution of the cue feels right while in the shooting position. Just keep layering the tape upfront on the shaft joint and then on the butt cap.
Once you feel you have reached the feel you want remove the tape from the shaft joint and the butt cap. Take the tape (don't forget to mark which is which) to a cue maker and have them install permanent weights in the same areas.
It's fun to experiment. :)
John
I agree...experimenting is fun.
I just placed an order for some of this tape at the link you posted. I never heard of the stuff (not a golfer).
We'll see what happens since I'm getting grief from TD's about the extension idea of yours.
I'm curious to see if this tape stuff will accomplish the same thing being put around the back end of the stick to achieve your "pull through" effect.
I don't get concerned about "how it might look".....the worse the stick looks, the better I like it. The less anybody thinks of how I can play or what my equipment looks like is all to my benefit. As the old fat man said...."I know everything they know and they don't know nothing that I know".:thumbup2:
Regards,
Lowenstein

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree...experimenting is fun.
I just placed an order for some of this tape at the link you posted. I never heard of the stuff (not a golfer).
We'll see what happens since I'm getting grief from TD's about the extension idea of yours.
I'm curious to see if this tape stuff will accomplish the same thing being put around the back end of the stick to achieve your "pull through" effect.
I don't get concerned about "how it might look".....the worse the stick looks, the better I like it. The less anybody thinks of how I can play or what my equipment looks like is all to my benefit. As the old fat man said...."I know everything they know and they don't know nothing that I know".:thumbup2:
Regards,
Lowenstein

I removed the Balance Rite mid cue extension from my cue. I really miss the 2oz in the middle of the stick. I'll add one or two ounces (maybe more. who knows) of tape to the middle of the cue until I get the feel that the cues weight distribution for me is good to go.
My cue now is 68"long (that's long enough).

John :)

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, I used solder and wrapped it around the cue. When I got it like I wanted I put some tape over it. Funny, I used the cue like that for several years. I think most people thought I had broken the cue and taped it up. I played in some big tournaments with that cue and it got a lot of second looks.

Ya mean........like this?
Miss the 2oz from the BR. Read your post and started rolling solder.

3 pieces each 12" long weighing 0.5 oz for a total weight of 1.5oz. Wrapped around end of the shaft. Don't forget to use some tape to hold it in place.
Edit: added another 12" piece (for a total of 4 pieces, each 12" long) for a total weight of 2oz. The same weight as the Balance Rite. Life is good again. :)

I know just the guy that would jump all over this. He's big into sports psychology :) he would probably use pink tape or even green tape. :) He might even tell them he broke his shaft and had to repair it. This is all while he is stealing their money.

Thanks for the idea. This will work until I get the lead tape in.

John

Attachments

• Solder at mid joint (Small).jpg
    Solder at mid joint (Small).jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you want the additional weight to be effective in moving the cue ball, you have to mount it in a way that is solid during the tip-to-ball contact. Maybe tape can do that. If it slides, it doesn't put its momentum into the ball.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how much room you have to work with, but lead washers at the joint might add some... I would try to sandwich the lead between plastic.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... How much weight

In experimenting with my cues, I've found that a decent rough estimate is that adding/subtracting an ounce of weight to the back end moves the balance point of the full cue about an inch backward/forward.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of this sounds pretty interesting to try out. I was reading the reviews for the tape and one guy said once it’s on it’s not coming off. Would this damage the finish of the cue in any way?

If you're worried about damaging the finish (I've done it without damage), you could put some masking tape on first and then put the lead tape over the masking tape.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're worried about damaging the finish (I've done it without damage), you could put some masking tape on first and then put the lead tape over the masking tape.

Cool sounds about right, will try

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In experimenting with my cues, I've found that a decent rough estimate is that adding/subtracting an ounce of weight to the back end moves the balance point of the full cue about an inch backward/forward.
Center of gravity is a simple calculation. If the cue is 18 ounces with some starting balance point (center of gravity) and you put an ounce 19 inches back, and consider the point an inch in back of the original balance point, the cue pulls down with 18 ounces one inch from that point, and the added weight pulls down with one ounce 18 inches from that point. That balances at the new point.The two torques cancel exactly.

Since most cues weigh about 18 ounces and have 19-inch balance points, the rule of thumb is probably close enough.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya mean........like this?
Miss the 2oz from the BR. Read your post and started rolling solder.
3 pieces each 12" long weighing 0.5 oz for a total weight of 1.5oz. Wrapped around end of the shaft. Don't forget to use some tape to hold it in place.
Edit: added another 12" piece (for a total of 4 pieces, each 12" long) for a total weight of 2oz. The same weight as the Balance Rite. Life is good again. :)
I know just the guy that would jump all over this. He's big into sports psychology :) he would probably use pink tape or even green tape. :) He might even tell them he broke his shaft and had to repair it. This is all while he is stealing their money.
Thanks for the idea. This will work until I get the lead tape in.
John
*likes the pink idea*...pink is good
:thumbup2:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I imaged searched them and what I thought were pictures of lead were actually steel.

They have to exist, I would think.

Lead has a specific gravity (density) of 11.3 (relative to water). Steel is 7.85, and brass is about 8.5 depending on the alloy. Depleted uranium is 18.9. I think I'd go with steel or brass and accept that the washer needs to be 50% thicker.