Cue butt thickness

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Hi guys!
I can't seem to find much info regarding cue butt thickness. I really like thick cue butts, but couldn't find one for my taste so I put a LOT of tennis grip on my Predator butt. I like how it feels but it looks ugly. Excepting custom cues, can anyone help me with info about the thickest butt I can buy for a brand cue? My sensation is that Mezz produces thickest butts, but this is only from pictures because I have no real store in my area to actually see/test. Thanks for support!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys!
I can't seem to find much info regarding cue butt thickness. I really like thick cue butts, but couldn't find one for my taste so I put a LOT of tennis grip on my Predator butt. I like how it feels but it looks ugly. Excepting custom cues, can anyone help me with info about the thickest butt I can buy for a brand cue? My sensation is that Mezz produces thickest butts, but this is only from pictures because I have no real store in my area to actually see/test. Thanks for support!

Viking.

So much so, they offer a thinner version as an 'upgrade' lol.

http://www.vikingcue.com/new-skinny-cues-for-2016/

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most cues are in the 1.25" range. I like 'em about 1.20-1.22. Mezz vary from line to line. I have a AXI-K and these are smaller than some other Mezz cues. You just have to ask and/or measure. Go get some digital calipers and check a few. Cues used to be generally larger than today's stuff. Bigger butt cues are not as popular as they once were. Makes for a really stiff hit in most cases. Custom makers will do any size you want.

newby9

Registered
My Mike Stacey is thicker than a Joss, Schon, Mezz, and Predator. The cue seems to taper from the joint up to the beginning of the wrap and then straigtens out to the bumper. The entire wrap area is not as thin and tapered as the production cues. I like the consistant diameter throughout the grip area.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Great question....I think your hand size and how your ''pinch grip'' fits, is key to Not Too Big and Not too small. I played so much over a 30 yr period I figured out what works best for me, and when I had my last handle made, I told the cuemaker exactly what I wanted. I don't think it's any big deal to tell your cuemaker this before the cut and the inlay of your wrap. Experiment with that, and you'll find what fit's You the best. Then mike/measure the OD that works and ''get er done''. Just make sure the wrap doesn't proturde out any more than what you requested.

Again, very good question and a big concern for all top players. Not too small and not too big.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The few Lucasi sneakies I tried felt pretty thick. You can also get a leather wrap installed but ask them not to cut the channel deep so it sticks out a bit.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most good on-line sellers will measure for you. Seyberts, Mueller and Omega have all checked butt sizes for either me or someone i know. I always carry some digital calipers and electronic jewelry scale when going to the 'hall. Never know when you may need to check a cue out.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys!
I own a number of Mezz model butts, and haven't noticed any significant difference in butt diameter over most other higher end production cues. I do know my 45 year old Meucci original has a significantly thicker butt than any other cue I've seen including later model Meucci cues.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a number of Mezz model butts, and haven't noticed any significant difference in butt diameter over most other higher end production cues. I do know my 45 year old Meucci original has a significantly thicker butt than any other cue I've seen including later model Meucci cues.
Ditto on the old Meucci's. I recently got a super nice Hubbart cue but i sold it for this very reason. It measured 1.27" at the big end. Felt like a ball bat in my fingers. My Mezz AXI is just under 1.23.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto on the old Meucci's. I recently got a super nice Hubbart cue but i sold it for this very reason. It measured 1.27" at the big end. Felt like a ball bat in my fingers. My Mezz AXI is just under 1.23.
Hard to believe 4/100th of an inch would be that noticeable, but it is!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Older cues made in the 70’s and 80’s tended toward wider cue butts.
My ‘85 Runde Schon is a lot more wide, I.e,, fatter, than my other cues.
Cue & shaft weights from that period of cue-making were just heavier too.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz and Predator are both 31.5mm or 1.240" in diameter, Schon and Joss are about 32mm or 1.250"
You can find cues out there close to 33mm in diameter, I've made extensions to a few Meucci cues that where just shy of 33mm

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference is more than 4/100ths. You feel the circumference of the cue. Not its diameter.
Sorry, you lost me on that one. 4/100 diameter is 1/25th of an inch - a seemingly very small difference in diameter regarding the butt thickness of a cue. Obviously for shaft diameter thickness, that would be a huge difference.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi guys!
You can substitute a rubber wrap for the tennis grip. I think there are some brands that are nearly 2mm thick but you could double up with a thinner brand.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Sorry, you lost me on that one. 4/100 diameter is 1/25th of an inch - a seemingly very small difference in diameter regarding the butt thickness of a cue. Obviously for shaft diameter thickness, that would be a huge difference.

Circumference is Pi x diameter. A 1.23” diameter butt would result in a circumference of 3.86”. A diameter of 1.27” would result in a circumference of 3.99”. That’s a difference of .13”, or just over 1/8”. That’s quite noticeable.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Circumference is Pi x diameter. A 1.23” diameter butt would result in a circumference of 3.86”. A diameter of 1.27” would result in a circumference of 3.99”. That’s a difference of .13”, or just over 1/8”. That’s quite noticeable.
Understood, thanks