how do break and runs work?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how does it work money wise? I'm looking to have one for my league for the players. I've only ever participated in one but never got the details on how it works from the league director.

all I know they used a small bottle with red looking dice in them to determine something and each ball got the player $15.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how does it work money wise? I'm looking to have one for my league for the players. I've only ever participated in one but never got the details on how it works from the league director.

all I know they used a small bottle with red looking dice in them to determine something and each ball got the player $15.
We do our break it runs different than virtually any other pool room I’ve heard of that has break and run contests along with their tournaments, and it has worked out great. Every tournament participant is eligible to enter for $5 per week which gives everyone who enters one shot at the break and run. We have a number of 9 foot tables that have different size/toughness of pockets, so the ranking of the player determines what table they have to attempt their break and run on. They must run all balls to win, even if they pocket the 9 ball early in the run.

The lowest rank players actually get to do their attempt on the most forgiving pocket tables, as well as being given ball-in-hand after their break and they are not required to pocket a ball on the break. The tables get progressively tougher as well as the rules getting tougher for higher ranked players. Our highest ranked players must attempt a 10 ball break and run on our tightest table - 4-1/8 inch corner pockets. This, in essence, handicaps the different levels of players and gives them all a close to an equal chance to successfully complete their break and run.

Break and run winners receive 2/3 of the total pot, with the other third being carried over to start the pot for the following week, thereby the pot is never completely wiped out. As the owner and tournament TD, I contributed $200 to the pot when we started, I have since reimbursed myself back my $200 after the pot was built up significantly.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I think they work pretty well :rolleyes:

In reality, most places have the player break. Balls pocketed count toward the pot. Each successive ball counts. Once you miss, or break dry, you are done.

So if you are running a 10-ball break pot. Each ball pays 1/10 of the pot.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I think they work pretty well :rolleyes:

In reality, most places have the player break. Balls pocketed count toward the pot. Each successive ball counts. Once you miss, or break dry, you are done.

So if you are running a 10-ball break pot. Each ball pays 1/10 of the pot.

Also may want to include the option to stop and take the money.

If you made 6/10 balls and are faced with a blood test, you can cut out and take your cash.

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
We do our break it runs different than virtually any other pool room I’ve heard of that has break and run contests along with their tournaments, and it has worked out great. Every tournament participant is eligible to enter for $5 per week which gives everyone who enters one shot at the break and run. We have a number of 9 foot tables that have different size/toughness of pockets, so the ranking of the player determines what table they have to attempt their break and run on. They must run all balls to win, even if they pocket the 9 ball early in the run.

The lowest rank players actually get to do their attempt on the most forgiving pocket tables, as well as being given ball-in-hand after their break and they are not required to pocket a ball on the break. The tables get progressively tougher as well as the rules getting tougher for higher ranked players. Our highest ranked players must attempt a 10 ball break and run on our tightest table - 4-1/8 inch corner pockets. This, in essence, handicaps the different levels of players and gives them all a close to an equal chance to successfully complete their break and run.

Break and run winners receive 2/3 of the total pot, with the other third being carried over to start the pot for the following week, thereby the pot is never completely wiped out. As the owner and tournament TD, I contributed $200 to the pot when we started, I have since reimbursed myself back my $200 after the pot was built up significantly.

This is a great idea! I wish other rooms would take this and run with it! Will give the lower players a chance and build a ton of interest! Thanks for the post