THE HUSTLER MOVIE this Sunday April 19 on TCM

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you a Turner Classic Movie subscriber? Film Noir is one of my passions- close to billiards in some degrees. Well, if you have TCM on your cable TV subscription, THE HUSTLER from 1961 will air this Sunday April 19 at 9:45 PM.

Some cable systems, like Xfinity will allow you to watch aired movies for 3 full months after they are shown on your TV- just use the voice control to request it. Others may have access to this movie via other types of subscriptions- this is just for the TCM people like me who use traditional cable systems. Enjoy!

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually you can stream current and recently played movies on the TCM app any time. :thumbup:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you a Turner Classic Movie subscriber? Film Noir is one of my passions- close to billiards in some degrees. Well, if you have TCM on your cable TV subscription, THE HUSTLER from 1961 will air this Sunday April 19 at 9:45 PM.

Some cable systems, like Xfinity will allow you to watch aired movies for 3 full months after they are shown on your TV- just use the voice control to request it. Others may have access to this movie via other types of subscriptions- this is just for the TCM people like me who use traditional cable systems. Enjoy!

Awesome!!

I like the noir stuff on there too. Last week they had a Pam Grier prison movie. Pretty good visuals, story line and ending.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mama_White_Mama

:thumbup:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always a good watch!!

I have a plot point question about the movie that I have always wondered about. After winning the billiard match with the flamboyant gambler Eddie elects to walk back to the hotel while Burt and Sarah get to the hotel first via car.

Did Burt rape Sarah before she went into the bathroom and killed herself? Or was it a thing that she agreed to after he treated her like a whore and threw money on the bed? Nothing is shown but something is implied there. Part of Burt's persona is breaking down people so he can control them and either scenario would fit in this case. I realize this is a tacky question but this film has been studied for every nuance so I figure someone here knows.

Last edited:

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always a good watch!!

I have a plot point question about the movie that I have always wondered about. After winning the billiard match with the flamboyant gambler Eddie elects to walk back to the hotel while Burt and Sarah get to the hotel first via car.

Did Burt rape Sarah before she went into the bathroom and killed herself? Or was it a thing that she agreed to after he treated her like a whore and threw money on the bed? Nothing is shown but something is implied there. Part of Burt's persona is breaking down people so he can control them and either scenario would fit in this case. I realize this is a tacky question but this film has been studied for every nuance so I figure someone here knows.

She was willing. The part where you mention Bert breaking people down is spot on. The money on the bed and the writing on the mirror confirms that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually you can stream current and recently played movies on the TCM app any time. :thumbup:

Thanks I just googled this movie and it is available from amazon and other places for $3.99 to stream or on hulu subscription. I doubt I will watch this movie. But just letting you guys know.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed some thing watching the beginning of the movie that I hadn't paid any attention to before. Eddie breaks the first game against Fats and has the " I didn't leave you much" line. Fats replies "you left enough" and plays a dead combo out of the pack. The entire sequence appears to me as one take, did the dead combo actually happen after the break or was it set up?