LED pool light for home table

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at a 4x2, that’s 5000 lumens. Do you think that would work for a 8.5 foot table?

Any suggestions on places to look for a light? I think I am going to build a box to put it in.

I’m not a master electrician either, has anyone had experience replacing a standard light fixture with an LED?

Thanks everyone

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
It will be the bare minimum you would want to run IMO.

If you're asking if it is difficult to retrofit LED lamps in a typical strip type fixture, the answer is, no. It is pretty simple and doesn't not require a master electrician. If you are slightly handy and have YouTube, you should no problem. Besides you say you can build a box to put the light in so you should be able to handle a ballast bypass LED retrofit or a lamp swap with LED's compatible with a ballast in line.

If the 2x4 fixture isn't enough light, you could add a 2x2 next to it to get what you need. Experiment with light height and placement before building your box. That's what I would do anyway. Let us know how it goes and post up some pics!

I'm actually headed to hang 2 lights over 2 brand new Diamonds this afternoon at a friends garage! I'm so pumped to hit some balls it's going to be free work from me haha

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Looking at a 4x2, that’s 5000 lumens. Do you think that would work for a 8.5 foot table?

Any suggestions on places to look for a light? I think I am going to build a box to put it in.

I’m not a master electrician either, has anyone had experience replacing a standard light fixture with an LED?

Thanks everyone
I have .
You have to remove the balast .
Not a biggie.
Just read the instructions. The LED bulbs run in series.
You might have to replace the standoffs . https://youtu.be/SCWoI0X4jw0
But, if you are going to build a box, you can run two linkable . 3 footers ( pair )

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I built my 2'x6' light box, I used 3 - 2'x2' LED panels that were a little more than 4000 lum each, so a total of a little over 12,000 in total, and while brighter than the 3 can lights that I had before, the three panels are just about the right amount of light. Not sure if 5000 would be, but maybe. You don't need to be an electrician to assemble something like this, they are very simple to splice together.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, qty 1 2x4 LED panel will be good for an 8' table.

I hung qty 2 2x4 LED panels over my 9' table, end to end. During the install, I put only one just to test if it was bright enough, and I thought it was better than most of the lights at pool halls. This was also with the light flush to my ceiling, rather than hanging down on chains.

I'd get the light on either ebay or amazon. They normally ship in a double pack for like $120-150.

If you want to see my setup, here is a thread where I chronicled my whole adventure...
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6552007&postcount=76

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I built a light with 3 2x2 panels.Iused channel made for windows and brackets for ceiling tile .My table is a GC4.Plenty of light .About $120 invested.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An aside.

Be sure to checkout local on line ads. In my city here are currently 3 sets of pool table lights for sale. $15 o $60. He $60 s for a fancy stain glass type with 4 lights.

I have 2 sets of 4 foot fluorescents for my 12 Snooker table. Over my 9 foot pool table a fixture I ith row of 4 hanging incandescent lights.

I personally prefer flourescent lights. Inexpensive, no issues with shadows, glare, etc. Also handy if installing as can get thrm to hardwire or plug in.

LED ‘can’ be good. A friend has them over his table. Hiwever, it took him adjusting and fiddling to get the right brightness and light color. He also had to replace a bulb and not cheap.

Last edited:

wood600rr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• Pool room.jpg
    Pool room.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 463

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the light I bought for my 9-foot diamond Pro-Am:

It is flush on the ceiling, 9-foot ceiling in my living room, super bright light, no shadows, I am very happy with it. I built a box from 5 1/4" crown moulding and added a grid diffuser to help with some of the spray of light on the walls and TV.

Nice work!

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 4x2 flat panel led above my 9ft table and it lights up the table great. Just put it high enough to cover the whole table.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

jshaw

Registered
Look for cool not warm LED on the temperature scale so you get more of a "white" light.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two LED panels , 2' x 4', set end to end, gives plenty light, IMO. Got 'em at Home Depot.