SVB Vs Alex Match Tonight?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Someone in the action forum said Shane on his Facebook that Alex and him were playing tonight for big cheese. Anyone know if this is going down and where we can get updates? Thank you. Johnnyt

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Facebook

SVB definitely posted that on his Facebook. Race to 40 for a "large amount"

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Don't know the amount but I heard SVB is betting his own $.

It is a race to 40 supposedly for a pretty nice chunk......at least 20 bucks or so.:thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
These guys are unique! Two top flight pool players who can make a nice living playing tournaments and yet they both want to challenge each other for pool supremacy. Now that takes heart! Lots of it.

It's the filipino way, and thank God for that. In the Philippines there is a constant battle going on to maintain your ranking. Kind of like college tennis here. You must win to hold your position. Shane is one of the few American players who will still get in the trenches, and battle against the world's best players! Johnny and Rodney used to do the same thing. Successfully I might add. But they are older with businesses and families to support. It's Shane's turn now to carry our colors against the rest of the world. And he's doing a pretty good job of it. Plus, we've now got Dechaine who's rapidly moving into this elite battlefield as well.

Somehow I don't feel that these private games need to be live streamed. It's nice when they are, but if they aren't, that only adds to their allure. Money games perhaps are best left as performance art. You must be there to see it. I kind of like the direction TAR and some of the others are heading in, to bring us live coverage of the biggest and best tournaments. This is something that has been sorely lacking in the country, until now. Finally our sport is a leader in online coverage among professional sports, rather than lagging behind. Who knows, with it's head start, pool may become one of the biggest online sports to watch, with large worldwide audiences. Stranger things have happened.:)

Somehow some momentum is beginning to build, with quite a few more major tournaments on U.S. soil, and a steadily increasing online audience. This may all work well for the players and the sport. I'm encouraged by what I see. :thumbup:

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's gonna happen

But I won't get another call till it's over.
Sure hope someone is there for us.

RRPhantom

Banned
These guys are unique! Two top flight pool players who can make a nice living playing tournaments and yet they both want to challenge each other for pool supremacy. Now that takes heart! Lots of it.

It's the filipino way, and thank God for that. In the Philippines there is a constant battle going on to maintain your ranking. Kind of like college tennis here. You must win to hold your position. Shane is one of the few American players who will still get in the trenches, and battle against the world's best players! Johnny and Rodney used to do the same thing. Successfully I might add. But they are older with businesses and families to support. It's Shane's turn now to carry our colors against the rest of the world. And he's doing a pretty good job of it. Plus, we've now got Dechaine who's rapidly moving into this elite battlefield as well.

Somehow I don't feel that these private games need to be live streamed. It's nice when they are, but if they aren't, that only adds to their allure. Money games perhaps are best left as performance art. You must be there to see it. I kind of like the direction TAR and some of the others are heading in, to bring us live coverage of the biggest and best tournaments. This is something that has been sorely nsin the country, until now. Finally our sport is a leader in online coverage of professional sports, rather than lagging behind the others. Who knows, with it's head start, pool may become one of the biggest online sports to watch, with large worldwide audiences. Stranger things have happened.:)

Somehow some momentum is beginning to build, with quite a few more major tournaments on U.S. soil, and a steadily increasing online audience. This may all work well for the players and the sport. I'm encouraged by what I see. :thumbup:

Dont mean to burst your bubble, but no American player compares to the Phillipinos or Taiwanese players and even Europeans. Thats why if you notice when the Americans compete against Asians they dont fair to well.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay-tons of respect but how many people really care where alex is from?
the rest of the philipinos i see where people get it but jose and alex are more like from here anyway-that being said-shane is prolly mad at his money (jk)
i hope dechaine is not our future in american players he s too boston

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont mean to burst your bubble, but no American player compares to the Phillipinos or Taiwanese players and even Europeans. Thats why if you notice when the Americans compete against Asians they dont fair to well.

Even Europeans? Why don't you ask applehead how he faired against The Hatchetman last time they played. And didn't the great Mika lose to uummm an American before the Open this year. You better go have another pint matey.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member

Come on, please leave poor Jay's bubble alone.

We all here on AZ sorta try to protect Jay. He really hasn't been around much, doesn't know much about pool, but he's a pretty nice guy so we all humor him and pretend he makes sense and we leave his bubble alone.

Man I wish you hadn't done that. Poor Jay probably off feeling hurt and all corrected by you and your superior knowledge.

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited:

RRPhantom

Banned
Even Europeans? Why don't you ask applehead how he faired against The Hatchetman last time they played. And didn't the great Mika lose to uummm an American before the Open this year. You better go have another pint matey.

You are talking about the exception rather than the rule. Did you forget who won the Mosconi Cup? If I remember correctly Europe won. Also, I notice you dont mention the Asians. How did the Americans fair playing in the Phillipino Open and Bejing Open? :wink: How do you think they will do in the China Open? How do the American players do when they play in Europe?

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Someone in the action forum said Shane on his Facebook that Alex and him were playing tonight for big cheese. Anyone know if this is going down and where we can get updates? Thank you. Johnnyt

Dang, Johnnyt - you got good ears! I doubt anyone - streamer - is covering it since it just sprung up. I may swing by after dinner and check out the action :wink:

S.G.

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are talking about the exception rather than the rule. Did you forget who won the Mosconi Cup? If I remember correctly Europe won. Also, I notice you dont mention the Asians. How did the Americans fair playing in the Phillipino Open and Bejing Open? :wink: How do you think they will do in the China Open? How do the American players do when they play in Europe?

Why quote crap races to 5 / 7 / 9 matches and play a real one to 100. Theres a big difference between a tournament and a real match. I do agree with you about the Pinoys and the asians are without a doubt to be reconed with but pulease, the Europeans are by far NOT dominant to any country you mentioned. BTW why didn't the great Karl Boyes accept that challenge from Dennis Hatch, oh I forgot he don't gamble he only plays crap races to 9 at the most.

Could you do me a favor as well and actually count the # of mosconi cups won by the Europeans & the Americans and give me a total. You might not like what you add up. ;)

RRPhantom

Banned
Why quote crap races to 5 / 7 / 9 matches and play a real one to 100. Theres a big difference between a tournament and a real match. I do agree with you about the Pinoys and the asians are without a doubt to be reconed with but pulease, the Europeans are by far NOT dominant to any country you mentioned. BTW why didn't the great Karl Boyes accept that challenge from Dennis Hatch, oh I forgot he don't gamble he only plays crap races to 9 at the most.

Could you do me a favor as well and actually count the # of mosconi cups won by the Europeans & the Americans and give me a total. You might not like what you add up. ;)

I am talking about the present and not the past. Europeans are the current Mosconi Cup winners. How many American players can beat Souquet, Thorsten, Appleton and Mikka.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm talking mano a mano here, not tournament pool. Shane, Hatch and yes Earl as well, have all proven they can play for the cheese (in large chunks). And are willing to take on all comers. I don't see a whole lot of filipinos chasing after the Big D. or Earl for that matter.

That said, I still believe that the Philippines spawns more top flight money players, who are willing to gamble against anyone. We just don't have as much of that type of competition here, except for recent TAR matches. Of course, with Alex and Darren around, that could all be changing too. The biggest problem we have is this is a very big country and all these players are not in close proximity, like they are in the Philippines.

As far as the top Taiwanese players, you are absolutely right. There are a few guys over there that will play anybody who steps on their soil and the sky's the limit. I don't really like anyone's chances over there; filipino, European or American. ;)

Last edited: