OB Cues family needs your help.

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
Tuesday of last week we had a lightning strike at my home in Florida that struck my 29 year old son in law Luke Shimer. I found him on our porch about 60 seconds after it happened and his heart had stopped. I called 911 and they walked me through doing chest compression CPR which I did for 10 minutes until the first responders arrived. He was taken to Flagler Hospital in St Augustine and they got his heart started right when he arrived at the ER. He has not woken up yet and has remained critical in ICU for the last 9 days.

Luke joined the Army in 2008 and spent 9 months in Afghanistan and 4 months in Kuwait. He left the Army in 2014 and joined the National Guard. He is also a full time Special Ed teacher at Gaines school in St Augustine. Luke is a very special person who has served his country and survived an IED explosion in 2010 so we know he can beat this. His wife Kari and her mom Jody (my wife) have slept at the hospital for the last 9 days along with a ton of family and friends are all here supporting Luke.

We don't know how long Luke will be here, when he will wake up or the extent of the damage to his brain. We know we have a long road ahead and we are all doing and will continue to do everything we can to get Luke on the road to recovery.

His wife Kari setup a gofundme account as we know that there will potentially be a significant financial burden on them because of all of this. I would like to ask for your prayers, best wishes and if possible a donation to the gofundme page. If you are unable to donate I would appreciate it if you can at least visit the page and share it on Facebook. Thank you everyone. https://gofundme.com/LukeShimer #shineagainshimer

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, hows your luck?

I wish you and your son in law the best during such tough times.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But for the grace of God......it could have been any of us or our children........Luke is in my prayers and I hope the Go Fund goal gets exceeded.

Matt B.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shared on Tor Lowry's "14 Days" face book page.

So sorry to here this Shane.

John

Last edited:

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A prayer said for a complete recovery, as well as for you and yours.

51JpowIVLrL._SX300_.jpg

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know Luke Shimer…..but I did read his Go Fund Page.

Here’s a young man that’s proudly served our nation in the US Army for 6 years, was been deployed on tours in Afghanistan & Kuwait and returned home safely to only ultimately suffer a horrible freak accident.

I would like to invite all of my pals on AZ to read Luke’s Go Fund Page and possibly see if they’re able, to make a contribution to help this young man and veteran. I realize this is an admittedly a hackneyed expression ”But for the grace of God go thee.” Nonetheless, it is so true and so I’d like to think that I never have to deal with a tragedy like this.

Anyway, let’s see if we can find a silver lining to Luke’s problem. The Go Fund Campaign has stalled…..the goal is only $20k and it is stuck on $11,800 since yesterday.

How about we try to make a effort this Memorial Day Weekend to at least put a big dent in this fundraising campaign which is less than $9k to reach goal.

Thanks for reading my post.......here's the link: https://gofundme.com/LukeShimer

Matt B.

Attachments

• Luke Shimer.jpg
    Luke Shimer.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 835

DJ62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with Luke and his family.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Joel.......
The Go Fund Campaign to help Luke's family started on 5-19. As of this morning, the drive had $11,825 of its $20k goal.....217 people in 9 days.......yesterday the Fund had $11,800.......it's is slowing down when it truly needs to speed up.

I cannot think of a more appropriately befitting time than Memorial Day Weekend to lend a hand to one of our servicemen who survived tours of duty Afghanistan & Kuwait and returned home safe & sound. And then while he is on the front porch of his house, he gets struck down by lightning.

The Go Fund Goal is $8,175 short of its $20k goal. Luke and his wife aren't going to go on some extended vacation with this money. He is trying to cope with the costs and consequences of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Imagine being on the porch of your home and .......so I am hoping that with all of the folks that visit the AZ Forum this Memorial Day Weekend, a really good cause might get noticed and maybe Luke's Go Fund Drive can get kick started.

Yesterday it was $11,800......today it is $11, 825........I hope it becomes a much bigger number sooner than later for Luke's sake. So please tell all your friends if you do Facebook which I do not otherwise I'd be posting this message there. If you are in a position to financially help Luke with a small donation, than that's even better.

I'll put it to you this way.......while you are enjoying your Memorial Day weekend and spending time with friends and family, Luke isn't able to do what you get to enjoy. Bills pile up fast and one can't help but stress when that happens. So instead of grabbing that extra bag of ice while at the store this weekend, I 'd like to think some Azers can see their way to contributing even $5 bucks into Luke's Go Fund Account........$8,175 to go......divided by $5.00........1,635 donations needed........that's a lot of Azers.....but not when you include your social network contacts which I have so few but that doesn't seem to apply to most of the readers or so I'm imagining.

Again, I've never met Luke Shimer but nonetheless, I can spot a earnest, good cause just like most of you. I respectfully submit for every reader's consideration that lending a helping hand to Luke at this time easily qualifies as a very good cause to support. And being Memorial Day, can there be a more befitting time to help Luke with his dire circumstances and I pray for his complete recovery. Never leave a fallen comrade behind and just because Luke is stateside, he still qualifies in my eyes and hopefully, yours as well. Heck, why not try exceeding the goal if it can be accomplished.......This isn't a profit motivated campaign and it's about just trying to give Luke's family some hope and a helping hand.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this post and I hope that none of us ever experience what has happened to Luke. I hope everyone enjoys a safe & happy Memorial Day Holiday.

Attachments

• Luke Shimer.jpg
    Luke Shimer.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for the support. Luke has not woken up yet but they turned off his sedation so we are hopeful that he will wake soon and then they will have an opportunity to assess his neurological function. Keep praying!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife served in Afghanistan and is a disabled vet. We are in Palm Coast, if you need any help locally pm me.

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
Monday Morning Update: Luke is still on the ventilator but he is doing the vast majority of the breathing himself which is great. They did finally get him off of the last sedative yesterday morning however he has not woken up yet. This is not uncommon as he still has a bunch of medications lingering in his system. We remain at his side and continue to pray and are hopeful that he will wake up soon. #shineagainshimer https://gofundme.com/LukeShimer

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
www.gofundme.com/LukeShimer?viewupdates

Okay........the Go Fund Campaign is $16k short of its campaign goal.........Luke's medical expenses continue to mount........click on the above link.

318 people have contributed $18,966 and the goal is $35k.......seems awfully low to me based upon what Luke is going through but be that as it may.........another $16k is needed.......certainly with the number of Azers on this Forum & hopefully read this thread, the Go Fund goal can be met but not without your pro-active support..

$16k,,,,,,it's easily reachable,,,,,,1600 people @ $10.........3200 @ $5,00 or 16,000 at a buck each....just a $1.00. I wish I had a video of Luke;s therapy so readers could better appreciate what this guy is going through......a challenge that would crush the spirits of most of us but not Luke.....He's a warrior and is determined to beat this but can't do it without our prayers and donations.

Surely there are Azers that know how to use social media to help promote this.......how long would 10,000 views take, 20,000 or more importantly, 16.000 one dollar donations.......heck, if it only brought in 10% of the goal, that'd be $1600 more than now.......what if it yielded 20%......40%.......or the whole amount? But it can;tt happen without folks more savvy about Facebook, Tweets, Twitter or whatever the hell else is the popular social media.

Anyway, please spread word about Luke and his predicament.

Thank you,

Matt B

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
OB cues has always been one of my favorite companies. Shane, you probably don't remember but you helped me out before this too when you were with Predator - glad to return the favor.

Last edited: