Turning Stone Classic 9-Ball Open -- Winners and Runners-Up

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With Turning Stone XXVIII coming up this week, I thought I'd re-post my list of the winners and runners-up, and the score of the Finals match, from each of the previous 27 events.

The 27 Turning Stone events have been won by 15 different players. Bustamante, Van Boening, and Immonen have each won twice, Shaw has won 5 times, and Archer has won 6 times.

The 27 events have seen 21 different players finish second. Hatch, Sossei, Immonen, and Morra have each been runner-up twice, and Morris 3 times.

The player list on the Joss Tour website is dated 8/1/2017, so I do not know whether it is still current. But, based on that list, 7 of the previous event winners (who have accounted for 18 wins) and 8 of the runners-up (who have accounted for 13 second-place finishes) are scheduled to play this week. Their names are shown in blue.

I, July 2000 -- M. Immonen d. F. Hernandez 13-2
II, May 2001 -- F. Bustamante d. E. Reyes 13-11
III, Aug. 2001 -- C. Williams d. M. Immonen 13-11
IV, Feb. 2005 -- S. Tavernier d. R. McCreesh 13-2
V, Aug. 2005 -- F. Bustamante d. D. Hatch 13-11

VI, Feb. 2006 -- T. Hohmann d. K. McCready 13-3
VII, Aug. 2006 -- J. Archer d. S. Sambajon 13-9
VIII, Feb. 2007 -- J. Archer d. J. Morra 13-4
IX, Aug. 2007 -- L. Vann Corteza d. L. Ulrich 13-7
X, Feb. 2008 -- J. Archer d. J. Sossei 13-8

XI, Aug. 2008 -- J. Archer d. C. Williams 13-6
XII, Feb. 2009 -- R. Souquet d. D. Hatch 13-7
XIII, Aug. 2009 -- O. Dominguez d. Z. Zvi 13-5
XIV, Dec. 2009 -- J. Archer d. R. Morris 13-11
XV, Aug. 2010 -- J. Archer d. R. Morris 13-8

XVI, Dec. 2010 -- C. Deuel d. S. Moore 13-11
XVII, Sept. 2011 -- R. Morris d. A. Pagulayan 13-7
XVIII, Dec. 2011 -- S. Van Boening d. R. Hundal 13-9
XIX, Aug. 2012 -- M. Dechaine d. S. Putnam 13-4
XX, Jan. 2013 -- S. Van Boening d. J. Archer 13-5

XXI, Sept. 2013 -- E. Strickland d. J. Sossei 13-7
XXII, Sept. 2014 -- J. Shaw d. M. Immonen 13-6
XXIII, Jan. 2015 -- J. Shaw d. J. Morra 13-11
XXIV, Aug. 2015 -- J. Shaw d. M. Dechaine 13-10
XXV, Jan. 2016 -- M. Immonen d. E. Hjorleifson 13-2

XXVI, Aug. 2016 -- J. Shaw d. K. Corr 13-5
XXVII, Jan. 2017 -- J. Shaw d. R. Morris 13-6
XXVIII, Sept. 2017 -- ?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No hill/hill Finals, and no shut-outs or 13-1's. The Finals loser has won 7.0 games on average.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Archer rules with six wins at the Stone....
...but Shaw is the king of the Stone...
...five wins with a lot less starts.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great info as always.

Any way of checking to see how many winners went undefeated through the whole tournament, and how many came from the one loss side?

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did shaw play in the one he's not in the finals? I'll go out on a limb n guess no. Either way he OWNS turning stone. That's awesome!

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also to all the current buzz surrounding earl making the mosconi cup squad. If earl makes the finals of turning stone I'm jumping shotgun on his bandwagon

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great info as always.

Any way of checking to see how many winners went undefeated through the whole tournament, and how many came from the one loss side?

12 undefeated (events, without the Roman numerals, # 2, 5, 6, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 24, 26, 27)
15 from the losers' side

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12 undefeated (events, without the Roman numerals, # 2, 5, 6, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 24, 26, 27)
15 from the losers' side

And if I'm not mistaken, aren't all of Jayson Shaws 5 wins from the undefeated side??

So that number was a little more lopsided before Shaw.

I remember Jim Boeheim, coach of Syracuse basketball, dislike for the top team double bye during the big East tournament because he said his team would be at a disadvantage having to sit for two days, while the other teams play.

I suppose that translates to pool here are the turning stone with the wait in the hot seat then to a long race to 13, while the one loss player stays at the table.

It's also an aspect I dig about Shaw's game in that he can leave the arena and when he comes back, no matter how long, he's ready to go. The guy has great sport psychology in his arsenal of weapons.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
And if I'm not mistaken, aren't all of Jayson Shaws 5 wins from the undefeated side??

So that number was a little more lopsided before Shaw.

I remember Jim Boeheim, coach of Syracuse basketball, dislike for the top team double bye during the big East tournament because he said his team would be at a disadvantage having to sit for two days, while the other teams play.

I suppose that translates to pool here are the turning stone with the wait in the hot seat then to a long race to 13, while the one loss player stays at the table.

It's also an aspect I dig about Shaw's game in that he can leave the arena and when he comes back, no matter how long, he's ready to go. The guy has great sport psychology in his arsenal of weapons.
Shaw's competitive attitude reminds me of why the Romans built Hadrian's Wall. :eek:

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
The only in-the-money finishes I find for him in the AzB database are:

TS II -- 17th/24th
TS III -- 3rd
TS VI -- 7th/8th
TS XII -- 25th/32nd

Thanks for that. I am lazy to not look.
I know AZB doesn't have all of your other stats available. Thanks for what you do

Billiardscollec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw came from loses bracket

Shaw lost in one of his titles and came form the losers bracket. He lost to Alain Parent (Quebec) 9-3.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

So that number was a little more lopsided before Shaw. ...

Shaw lost in one of his titles and came form the losers bracket. He lost to Alain Parent (Quebec) 9-3.

Shaw won his first two TS titles (XXII and XXIII) from the losers' side, and was undefeated in his most recent three (XXIV, XXVI, and XXVII).

Before Shaw's first win, the record stood at 9 undefeated winners and 12 from the losers' side; it's 3-3 since then.

After the first 17 events, it was close at 9-8. Then 6 winners in a row came from the losers' side to take it to 9-14. But 3 of the last 4 have been undefeated, taking us to the current 12-15.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do y'all know there's a warmup event at the new Salt City Billiards in Syracuse, NY?
They just opened this summer after the old site burned down in February.

SVB vs. Jayson Shaw challenge match before a $100 entry tournament on Wednesday.

Go see it!