Should I have my 10-year old Southwest rewrapped?

mostly mozart

SFGiants4me
The linen is showing a bit of age on my Southwest and I wanted to get your guys opinion on whether to do it or not, and if it's to be done, should I have Southwest do it or a a very good shop like Proficient? Don't want to lose value. Thank you in advance,

Terry

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The linen is showing a bit of age on my Southwest and I wanted to get your guys opinion on whether to do it or not, and if it's to be done, should I have Southwest do it or a a very good shop like Proficient? Don't want to lose value. Thank you in advance,

Terry[/QUOTE

I would leave it in its original condition. Like any collectible original untouched condition will always bring a premium from the purists..

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[

I would leave it in its original condition. Like any collectible original untouched condition will always bring a premium from the purists..

I'd think more info would really be needed.

Is it a cue that is an active player or does it sit in a case?
Is the cue going to be sold soon?
Does the old wrap's condition bother the owner?
Would the alleged increased value of retaining original wrap that may need replacing really exceed the value of the same cue in better condition?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Speaking only of Proficient, guy where I live has used them 5 time or more. He says they do super work.

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet a light cleaning and burnishing will bring back some life to that wrap.

Personally if looking to replace the wrap I’d have SW do it. But I know their turn around for a job as small as that might be longer than u are willing to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you plan on keeping it to play with I would have it done as cheap as possible... then if you plan on selling it... send it back to southwest for a refresher before sale

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you plan on keeping it to play with I would have it done as cheap as possible... then if you plan on selling it... send it back to southwest for a refresher before sale

This is what I would do, too.

Get somebody who installs wraps well and uses nice linen, but who is cheaper and quicker than SW would do it. Send to SW later if needed for resell.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can have a linen wrap replaced for 50-75 dollars and done right too...i had mike guylassey replace a wrap on a southwest i had (i had black with white speck on it originally from southwest but i wanted white with black speck) mike used blue mountain or something? He said it was the original brand of linen that all cuemakers used to use? He did it in about 30 minutes to an hour and it was just perfect...wrapped a little tighter than southwest does(itold him i prefer it that way,tight and kinda slick) and he did it...i think he actually pressed it too after putting it on...i think he charged me 50 bucks and it was really better than the original linen. If you’re gonna play with it replace it. I,m all for leaving things original but i,m not sure anyone can tell if linen is installed correctly

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just have it cleaned and pressed. Most cuemakers use a spray of starch. You can restore any linen this way, usually to near good as new. This will not devalue a cue.

Send it to Proficient. If your gonna sell it later, send to southwest.

Who would be able to tell the difference, and how would they be able to tell the difference? Just curious.

And, why the need to ship it anywhere, just for a rewrap? Most local areas have a cue maker, or reputable cue repair person, who could do a good job at re wrapping a cue, and then there would be no worry about it getting lost, stolen, or damaged through the mail.

Why send a $5000 cue through the mail just for a re wrap?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy -

Changing the wrap on Southwest will have ZERO impact.

Southwest cues are not rare (except very few), they make 100's of them each year and are as close to a production custom cue as any out there.

They basically make 1 model and change the woods and veneers.

Yep, they play great (at least the ones I have had), but they are a production cue in my mind.

Change the damn wrap and enjoy the cue.

Ken

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Terry,
As far as value-
Really only way to hurt value rewrapping your S W,
have a really bad wrap done....
" Not too bad idea- send your cue back to Laurie @ S W for rewrap
KEEP YOUR INVOICE-