Room Lighting Outside the Playing Area Perimeter

VKR

I am looking for room lighting guidance/suggestions in the area outside the perimeter of the playing surface. I have a nine-foot table and have a minimum of 64” and a maximum of 75” around the head, foot and one side of the table. My ceiling height is only seven feet high in this area. In addition to having the lights on a dimmer, is there any other guidance you can provide? For example:

• Do I center the recessed lights between the edge of the playing surface and the wall?
  • Do I use downlights, or would it be better to use an “eyeball” style recessed light and wash the walls? Possibly this would eliminate any shadowing to the playing surface and light some sports memorabilia on the walls.
Please provide me any constructive guidance, my main concern is to avoid shadowing onto the playing surface. Possibly, I am over analyzing this and the planned 2’ x 4’ LED light panels (creating 2’ x 8’ lighting) would eliminate any shadows if the perimeter lights are dimmed.

Thanks

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Dim and indirect lighting...the old time pool halls had it right.
...Brunswick, a few decades ago, had it wrong.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking for room lighting guidance/suggestions in the area outside the perimeter of the playing surface. I have a nine-foot table and have a minimum of 64” and a maximum of 75” around the head, foot and one side of the table. My ceiling height is only seven feet high in this area. In addition to having the lights on a dimmer, is there any other guidance you can provide? For example:

• Do I center the recessed lights between the edge of the playing surface and the wall?
  • Do I use downlights, or would it be better to use an “eyeball” style recessed light and wash the walls? Possibly this would eliminate any shadowing to the playing surface and light some sports memorabilia on the walls.
Please provide me any constructive guidance, my main concern is to avoid shadowing onto the playing surface. Possibly, I am over analyzing this and the planned 2’ x 4’ LED light panels (creating 2’ x 8’ lighting) would eliminate any shadows if the perimeter lights are dimmed.

Thanks
Recessed ceiling or wall lights should be far enough from the table so as to not possibly result in any shadows from those lights on the surface of the pool table, as they cast light on the lower hanging pool table lighting. That should be easily determined by angles, based on the size and height of your pool table light location relative to the other room lights.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
What you do over the table offers all sorts of options and those are pretty well covered elsewhere on and off this forum.

In my current and a previous basement home room I went with wall sconces (on dimmers) that bounce light off the walls and ceiling. Not a fan of the recessed cans where it can be avoided.

Attachments

• 20180510_203355.jpg
    20180510_203355.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 124