Pool Media, Broadcasters, and Live Streamers

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are your thoughts on a person representing the media or a live streamer or a broadcaster expressing their thoughts in public, in writing such as Facebook or AzBilliards, about politics using vulgar profanity?

People are quick to judge pro pool players for the way they dress, act, walk, and talk, but should the pool media, broadcasters, and live streamers be held to a standard as well?

I recently deleted a post on my Facebook page about the government shutdown, not because of the variety of opinions expressed. I'm okay with that. I'm used to it, actually, living in D.C. But it was one representative of the pool media, broadcaster, or live streamer that used vulgar language to express his opinion on my thread, which made me delete it. I was ashamed of the thread after this person wrote their opinion using such vulgarity.

I will never, ever watch a live stream, read an article, or listen to any broadcast if this person is involved. I used to work graveyard shift in a pool room, so I'm used to the jargon that you hear in a pool room. Heck, I've been known to throw a few curse words out there myself. :eek:

What do you think about these folks—pool media, broadcaster, live streamer—being vulgar in public and/or in writing? :confused:

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jam
i agree
i dont think its ever ok to be vulgar in a public forum

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I'm with you on this one Jam...........Stick to pool not your political beliefs and using curse words isn'r cool on any forum........Free speech is one thing but where there is a forum for it....I don't want to know pool players or commentators political beliefs, period....I didnt' ask so why tell me???

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I don't post things like that on social media because personally I think it seems kind of classless. The other thing is I avoid posting anything about politics on social media. Nobody has ever changed their opinion based on a facebook post. People want to keep up with whats going on in your life. They aren't friends with you to get their feeds clogged with political stuff, and it ticks people off unnecessarily.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What are your thoughts on a person representing the media or a live streamer or a broadcaster expressing their thoughts in public, in writing such as Facebook or AzBilliards, about politics using vulgar profanity?

People are quick to judge pro pool players for the way they dress, act, walk, and talk, but should the pool media, broadcasters, and live streamers be held to a standard as well?

I recently deleted a post on my Facebook page about the government shutdown, not because of the variety of opinions expressed. I'm okay with that. I'm used to it, actually, living in D.C. But it was one representative of the pool media, broadcaster, or live streamer that used vulgar language to express his opinion on my thread, which made me delete it. I was ashamed of the thread after this person wrote their opinion using such vulgarity.

I will never, ever watch a live stream, read an article, or listen to any broadcast if this person is involved. I used to work graveyard shift in a pool room, so I'm used to the jargon that you hear in a pool room. Heck, I've been known to throw a few curse words out there myself. :eek:

What do you think about these folks—pool media, broadcaster, live streamer—being vulgar in public and/or in writing? :confused:
I tend to agree on this, JAM....these people are representing the GAME.
I’ve told a few players the same thing as they moved up the ladder....
...you are now living in the public realm...how you act now reflects on the game itself...
...and your fellow players.

At this time in society, a lot of rules have been broken...we are devolving.
Years ago, it was a pleasure to hear Fatty woofing up a pool hall...his language?...
...would’ve been welcome in a clubhouse of an elite golf course.

I didn’t play tournaments for the first half of my pool life...so I missed a lot...
...one of the first ones I went to, Keith and “Floyd” were playing race to 11...
...they nattered at each other non-stop....went to hill-hill...Keith won....
...Mataya shook his hand and smiled...took the loss gracefully...
...their language?...very colorful...but your mother could’ve been a spectator.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
You represent 24-7

Something to remember if you own a business, represent the business, or are seeking a sponsorship, when you represent somebody or an entity like a business, you represent them twenty-four hours a day seven days a week.

Some people seeking sponsorship or trying to sell something don't recognize there is no "off time" when you don't represent the people and businesses behind you. I have even been told they only represent their sponsors when competing. Nope, full time. How quick did companies drop their association with bill cosby because of what he was accused of doing on his own time?

Years ago I had money coming in but no time, I was working 60+ hours a week and on call 24-7. I decided to sponsor somebody. I took my time and picked out a nice clean cut young man that was very well liked. Seemed to have everything going for him. Local competition and I wasn't sole sponsor so I had ten-thousand a year in mind along with some technical and maybe a little hands on assistance plus an occasional infusion of cash if needed.

I was trying to arrange time to meet with him and discuss things when there were a couple of public incidents. No huge deal but not what I wanted to see representing me. Did these incidents happen twice a month, twice a year, twice in ten years? I don't know, I just know there was only a two week gap between these two incidents. No sponsorship!

Hu(before my PM box blows up, these days I couldn't afford to sponsor a duck.)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. It is good to read.

I decided to sleep on it, to see how I'd feel after a day goes by.

And I'm still pissed.

I am toying with the idea of writing to the sponsors associated with this person's pool-related activities to let them know how I feel. I know it probably won't mean a hill of beans to the sponsors, but it will put them on guard. If this person continues to abuse others with this vulgarity, maybe sponsors will ban him from being involved in any of their sponsored activities.

If a pro player acted like this or wrote words such as this person, everybody would be outraged.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. It is good to read.

I decided to sleep on it, to see how I'd feel after a day goes by.

And I'm still pissed.

I am toying with the idea of writing to the sponsors associated with this person's pool-related activities to let them know how I feel. I know it probably won't mean a hill of beans to the sponsors, but it will put them on guard. If this person continues to abuse others with this vulgarity, maybe sponsors will ban him from being involved in any of their sponsored activities.

If a pro player acted like this or wrote words such as this person, everybody would be outraged.
Hi Jammie,

I was obviously posting on that thread and furious when I read that person’s comments. I lost any respect I had for him. He came off sounding like an unhinged jerk.....took it waaaay too far.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy must be pretty dumb to outright alienate people, especially the ones he is trying to sell to-Wish i knew who it was so i could try not to support them.

My mom used to say " You can have any damn crazy opinion you want as long as you express it civilly."

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Jammie,

I was obviously posting on that thread and furious when I read that person’s comments. I lost any respect I had for him. He came off sounding like an unhinged jerk.....took it waaaay too far.

I had to delete the thread. My aunt is a reverend/pastor -- I'm not sure of her title -- and actually, most of that side of my family is very faith-based, even my brother. I did not want her to read those words on my FB page. It was embarrassing.

It is okay that we all have different opinions, and I enjoy a good back-and-forth sometimes. We can each learn from each other if we have open minds. Nobody knows it all. Even if I do not agree with somebody, I would never use words that that guy did to express an opposing view. Never.

But this guy, I've never seen anybody write words like this in public. Even in the pool room, if somebody said that to me, they might have not liked the response that some of my friends would have had if they were there with me. This guy was gross, vulgar, and I'm still pissed about it. :angry:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy must be pretty dumb to outright alienate people, especially the one he is trying to sell to-Wish i knew who it was so i could try not to support them.

My mom used to say " You can have any daman crazy opinion you want as long as you express it civilly."

Exactly right. There is no reason to express opinions with vulgarity.

I am a female, but I can take the curse words okay, but it's the vulgarity that really bothered me the most.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Facebook is for people who love visiting the proctologist...it's an anal exam of data mining.

It happens here too, but not to the same extent.

(edit) As far as what I see and/or hear on the various media influencing my reading or viewing habits? You bet it does. For example, when the NFL comes on the tube, I take a knee and change the channel, I quit viewing late night TV talk shows, and more.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Jam...why not name names? I hate complaint threads like these.

Somebody pees in your Wheaties, tell us who it is.

Otherwise, shut up already.

Reactions: JC

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it's not enough these days to just ignore a-holes. Or tell them directly what you think. The digital crowd can't just see it for what it is and move on. They have to tell everyone about it. Then tell us what it means to them. Then why it means this to them. Then they hope we can all get in a drum circle and talk about it some more. And this time we don't even know what was said and why. Funny stuff.

If what you are saying is true, and I don't doubt it is, and you were really offended by it then do something. Complaining about it on a separate message board seems like pretty limp effort to accomplish anything other than getting your hand held and your belly rubbed.

Call the schmuck out. You know you saved a copy of the message.

Non Smoker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You came on here to vent, so lets have it. Name the person, we don't need to read what they wrote just a name will do. Otherwise your effort is wasted.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What are your thoughts on a person representing the media ....

IMO, those who are in the billiard media, established or otherwise, there is an amount of responsibility that one must assume, else they’re not striving for professionalism and advancing our sport. Public vulgarity within the context of billiard communication isn’t responsible .

Freddie <~~~ US Billiard Media Member

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
It's sad but I can think of a few people it could be.

Usually you can pin it down but in this case??

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, those who are in the billiard media, established or otherwise, there is an amount of responsibility that one must assume, else they’re not striving for professionalism and advancing our sport. Public vulgarity within the context of billiard communication isn’t responsible .

Freddie <~~~ US Billiard Media Member

This was a post about the government shut down and had nothing to do with billiard communication, right? Let's face it, if we're banking on the character of our players and media to save pool we are screwed. Why go after this person's livelihood because of one post. Oh wait, I forgot, we haven't had the drum circle yet. Or did I miss it?