Pool Table Lighting with Limited Ceiling Height - Help Needed

VKR

I am in need of lighting guidance for my 9-foot table.

Unfortunately, I have a limited 82” ceiling height. With a table height of 30”, I only have 52” between the table surface and ceiling. In addition, there is an 18-inch-wide air duct above the drywall ceiling that goes directly down the center of the pool table’s length. Consequently, there is not adequate space above the ceiling for recessed can lights above the table. However, there is room to install ceiling electrical boxes.

What are my light options given the limited 52” distance between table surface and ceiling? Would I be best with a Brunswick/Diamond/Littman style, or a pendant style light? What light type, size, and height above the table would provide adequate table illumination without cushion shadowing etc.?

Thanks for any expert guidance you can provide.

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out l.e.d.

My lights over my 5 by 10 are only 1 inch thick, mounted flat on celing. I use 2, 1 ft by 4 ft plenty of light

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am in need of lighting guidance for my 9-foot table.

Unfortunately, I have a limited 82” ceiling height. With a table height of 30”, I only have 52” between the table surface and ceiling. In addition, there is an 18-inch-wide air duct above the drywall ceiling that goes directly down the center of the pool table’s length. Consequently, there is not adequate space above the ceiling for recessed can lights above the table. However, there is room to install ceiling electrical boxes.

What are my light options given the limited 52” distance between table surface and ceiling? Would I be best with a Brunswick/Diamond/Littman style, or a pendant style light? What light type, size, and height above the table would provide adequate table illumination without cushion shadowing etc.?

Thanks for any expert guidance you can provide.

Two panels of 2' X 4' LEDs. Place on either side of the duct. They would only take up 2-3" space. Walalight in Florida.

The Bronx Bull

Registered
I wasn't a fan of the aesthetic that the LED panels have (though their lighting is great), and I thought the Brunswick lights were too large and bulky. I ended up going with a four-light pendant light with a matching bar pendant. My ceiling is 57.5" from the playing surface, but I would have still been in the clear with a slightly lower ceiling, like yours. The bottom of the pendant lights is 34" from the playing surface. I use four 100W daylight bulbs and the table is nice and bright.

Here's a photo: https://imgur.com/KiNUjXv

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I guess I should raise my light and try it like that. Right now it sits at about 5ft off the floor, about 30" above the table.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 629

VKR

I wasn't a fan of the aesthetic that the LED panels have (though their lighting is great), and I thought the Brunswick lights were too large and bulky. I ended up going with a four-light pendant light with a matching bar pendant. My ceiling is 57.5" from the playing surface, but I would have still been in the clear with a slightly lower ceiling, like yours. The bottom of the pendant lights is 34" from the playing surface. I use four 100W daylight bulbs and the table is nice and bright.

Here's a photo: https://imgur.com/KiNUjXv

Thanks for the image and comments. Your table and four pendant lights look great. I am just a bit concerned that your light in my application would not look as nice since I would have to remove 5" to 6" of chain to keep a similar table surface to light shade distance. I'm thinking it would just make my low ceiling look even lower.

VKR

No. LED panels like at Walalight.com. Get the 2 foot X 4 foot panels for the very best lighting and forever.

This is definitely a viable option and most likely I would have to tuck the fixture close to the ceiling in my application. I have a few questions:

What is your distance between the table surface and the bottom of the light?

I understand you purchased the Walalight panels. Did you fabricate the light fixture yourself or purchase from someone?

Did you install a diffuser of any sort under the LED Light Panels? I believe the Diamond lights have some sort of diffuser to cut down on glare when someone is sitting lower than the light and looking toward the table.

babyboy70363

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member