how are ya'll doing in league ?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
That's not a bad layout. What's killing us is having four 6's and two 5's. We were told by our LO at the City Cup tournament that we are only allowed to play two "high handicap" players. They consider a 6-9 to be high handicap.

That's the APA standard in 9 ball, only two senior level players in any 9 ball match, no such rule in 8 ball

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Our season is 32 weeks, Yuck ! I stayed in the Top 3 for several weeks (as I always do),
then my dislike of most other players started creeping into my head and I dropped down
to the Top 8 or so. Now, at 2/3rds. through the season, I am down to16th O/A (out of 100).
Weds. rolls around and I dread showing up to play. If it weren't for being on a Great Team,
I'd probably look for an Alternate to finish the season. We are solidly in 2nd O/A with a
chance to be Top Overall Team in the playoffs (May). Next year is a "maybe" for me.

Best of Luck to all of you who still look forward to league night. You are blessed.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Gotcha. I've always played 8-ball and never heard that rule, up until recently, when I switched to 9-ball.

Also, there used to be a rule in HLT rules, I don't know if there still is, no MALE S/L 1's in 9 ball, or MALE S/L 2's in 8 ball

a little sexist if you ask me

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I'm doing pretty well overall. I would like to see my ratings get above 80 but it's tough; you have to get on a hot streak and win multiple weeks in a row. Also, because it's lagger's choice, you may not play a game for a while. The last time I played 9-ball was back in October!

Aside from winning multiple weeks in a row, you go up faster based on break and runs and rackless weeks I think.

It seems like it is easier to drop multiple points for a loss but I am not sure how that works. I lost 5-5 vs a 90 last week and dropped 3 points. It was a 7-5 race so it isn't like he ran over me or anything.

Maybe it matters more whether you are playing an opponent with a higher or lower rating than yourself when winning or losing.

Do you win the lag and choose to play other games? I usually lose the lag so they either want to play whatever format they get the most games in or 9 ball. I have to say 9 ball is my least favorite format based on the rules used in NAPA.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, there used to be a rule in HLT rules, I don't know if there still is, no MALE S/L 1's in 9 ball, or MALE S/L 2's in 8 ball

a little sexist if you ask me

We were told no SL1 males in HLT or Division play. I think it's sexist and stupid. Do they think only males can sandbag to the point of being the lowest handicap?

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Aside from winning multiple weeks in a row, you go up faster based on break and runs and rackless weeks I think.

It seems like it is easier to drop multiple points for a loss but I am not sure how that works. I lost 5-5 vs a 90 last week and dropped 3 points. It was a 7-5 race so it isn't like he ran over me or anything.

Maybe it matters more whether you are playing an opponent with a higher or lower rating than yourself when winning or losing.
You definitely go up 2 points for a rackless. I don't think I've ever dropped 3 points before.

Do you win the lag and choose to play other games? I usually lose the lag so they either want to play whatever format they get the most games in or 9 ball. I have to say 9 ball is my least favorite format based on the rules used in NAPA.

I usually lose the lag and when I do my opponent almost always chooses the game.
If I win the lag, I usually let my opponent choose the game because I always believe I can get the rackless. :thumbup: Two out of my last 3 matches, I was one bad shot from rackless wins. The only time I don't let my opponent choose the game is if he's much better than I am. Then I choose the game with the best race (i.e., biggest difference.)

No one seems to like 9-ball much. "Too much slop" I guess, though in reality it doesn't come up very much. I'm not a fan of the rotation games ONLY because my opponents tend to attempt really low-percentage combinations on the 9/10 ball.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
A little off the topic, but...

I know for many of us APA players our City Tournaments or Las Vegas Qualifier are just a couple of months away. Do any of you plan to make the trip regardless of whether or not your team qualifies? In some previous years our team, both 8 and 9 has qualified and it's been fun. But even when we haven't qualified, going still to be in that environment and play in the mini's, watching some of the teams that are there to play and meeting players from around the country, I love it, it's a blast. I know not everyone is a fan of The APA, but they do put on a pretty good show. You guys and girls, even if your teams don't qualify, consider heading out for a couple of days anyway, it's kinda like 24/7 AZ Billiards - LIVE!

Last edited:

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know for many of us APA players our City Tournaments or Las Vegas Qualifier are just a couple of months away. Do any of you plan to make the trip regardless of whether or not your team qualifies? In some previous years our team, both 8 and 9 has qualified and it's been fun. But even when we haven't qualified, going still to be in that environment and play in the mini's, watching some of the teams that are there to play and meeting players from around the country, I love it, it's a blast. I know not everyone is a fan of The APA, but they do put on a pretty good show. You guys and girls, even if your teams don't qualify, consider heading out for a couple of days anyway, it's kinda like 24/7 AZ Billiards - LIVE!

I may do this. We are qualified in 8 for the LTC and hopefully 9 after this session so I already scheduled the time off. Plus I have never been to Vegas, and this year's venue looks sweet. May drive instead of fly if we don't qualify, would have to work out the cost difference.

Banks

Banned

Plenty of action at the team event, too.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fri night scotch doubles. i got a butt whipping by a 6 in 9 ball singles ....46-28....dang !
did a lot better in 8 ball doubles. my other 5 and i faced this same 6 and their 4 and we won 4-0 in a 4-4 race.

sunday night double jeapordy i faced a 7/9 in both 8 and 9 ball. got my butt handed to me in both games. actually it was not as bad as i make it sound. i played pretty good....just not good enough to hang with the best player in the league lol.

kinda league related....played in our 8 ball top gun saturday.

1st round i drew a pretty tough player i have faced several times and its always close. my 1st thought when i saw who i drew was ....oh shit, not him. then i told myself ...just play the table....don;t worry who your opponent is. i won 4-3.

2nd round i faced a former team mate. i was on ...won 4-1. my only loss was a scratch when i made an 8 on the break. last rack was a break and run.

3rd round i faced a guy i have never played before. saw real quick he was a pretty good shooter and i played smart since i saw i could not out shoot him. hill -hill and i play a safe with me having 2 balls left and him 1. he kicks at his last ball ..it caroms off my ball and falls in the side pocket leaving him perfect on the 8. it was a bummer losing hill -hill on a fluke shot.

4th round. i faced another player i have never played before. another guy who i saw real quick was a pretty good shooter. i played a lot of safes but he was getting out of them by making shots i never thought of and have never seen 7's attempt. dang ! i lost 4-2.

no pool at all for me this week until sunday. i dropped off my tue night team and have a bye fri night. got masters sunday afternoon and double jeapordy sunday night.

may hit a few here at the house some .

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played masters today.

We play 2 matches every other week. I won the 1st match 7-6. Played the same guy the 2nd set. Guess he took it personal losing the 1at set. He put on a clininc the 2nd set winning 7-3

As the saying goes....you can't win sitting in the chair.:D

Got double jeapordy tonight. Hope I shoot as good as I did today

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
played double jeapordy tonight.

faced another 5 in 8 ball and won 4-1.

played the same guy 9 ball and lost 38-18. i aint exagerating when i say he hit every ball at warp speed and slopped half of them in. guess thats 9 ball for you.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Played the first four games of my match about as well as I have in some time....

....then it went in the crapper. Couldn't make a shot. My opponent was playing well, but that wasn't the issue. I constantly missed very makeable shots. Especially after playing so well earlier.

So discouraged. Really bad feeling.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been there countless times dub.

Strange how I can play like a 7 then start shooting like a 3.

Some times can go from o e level to the other from one rack fo the next :(

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only played one match of NAPA this week. 8-4 race in 8 ball. He won the first game and then I won the next eight. Played pretty well after the first game.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Any of you ever had anything like this happen: You're in an APA (or a points based) match. So you're playing a player that you should clearly beat. Things are going well you're running balls, your break seems to be working and finally you're approaching your final 10 (or so) points, you break maybe make one or two but you're totally in jail, you can't see your object ball and can't see any clear path to the ball. You swing and miss, BIH for your opponent and he runs out and then he just keeps making balls. He might miss a ball or two in the next game but he poops something in and when he misses he leaves you hooked and you never get another clear shot and wind up losing. That happened to me the other night, I'm humming along and then the bottom dropped out, and not just a little, went down faster than a drunken prom queen. Afterwards all I could do was smile and say, "Nice comeback".
Geeze, I hate that

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Been there countless times dub.

Strange how I can play like a 7 then start shooting like a 3.

Some times can go from o e level to the other from one rack fo the next :(

That's exactly what happened last night. Frustrating, discouraging, aggravating....again, its not the loss itself its how I played that makes me feel so badly about it.

Grrrrr