how are ya'll doing in league ?

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i have to admit that score keeping in apa is more involved than other leagues. i honestly believe all the info we put down is an effort to prevent sand bagging. its like any thing else...once you get used to it it becomes no big deal.

apa 8 ball is pretty simple.

if you win by shut out you get 3 points. your opponent gets 0
if you win but your opponent wins at least 1 rack you get 2 points . your opponent gets 0
if you win and your opponent gets on the hill you get 2 points and your opponent gets 1.

apa 9 ball is a points based game like bcapl 8 ball. the difference is the scoring. in apa your score is based on a sliding chart provided on the score sheet.

who ever reaches the points required based on their s/l 1st wins the match. the score is based on how many points you held your opponent to.

lets just use a s/l 5 since that is what i am. if my opponent is a 5 also he has to reach 38 points before i do to win the match.

if my opponent holds me to less than 7 points he wins 20-0
if i get 7-10 points he wins 19-1
11-14 points he wins 18-2
it goes on down to 12-8.
and like any other league ...the team with the highest score after all matches are played wins.

i hope that clarifies what we are talking about when we state score concerning apa.

napa is pretty easy to keep score compared to apa and their on line scoring system automatically totals up the scores for you.

some examples of napa scoring.
20-0 for a shutout
14 if you win but your opponent wins at least 1 rack.
3 points if you lose but you won at least 1 rack.
1 extra point each for b&r...8 on the break...9 on the snap...rackless

It does help, thank you. Now I see why I was unable to simply figure it out. At least now when I read about your league nights I have some clue as to what the hell went on. LOL Thanks guys!

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
NAPA lagger's choice last night.

Won a 5-3 8-ball race 5-0 (rackless) :thumbup:

Unfortunately, last week we had to forfeit a match because one guy was out of town and I was sick as a dog so this week, we dropped to second place. But only by 10 points so we're doing all right.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NAPA lagger's choice last night.

Won a 5-3 8-ball race 5-0 (rackless) :thumbup:

Unfortunately, last week we had to forfeit a match because one guy was out of town and I was sick as a dog so this week, we dropped to second place. But only by 10 points so we're doing all right.

Congrats on the rackless. That should help close the gap if y'all are still in second place going into next week. I am still trying to get my first rackless.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
NAPA singles league. I won a 4-4 9-ball race 4-2. Neither of us played very well but I played less bad. This puts me in first place with 4 matches to go.

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got killed in my 9ball match this week, lost 15-5 against a male SL2. I was just off, every run stopped by a hanger that on another day would have dropped. My captain is sitting me in 8ball since I got moved down to a 3, guess he's waiting to play me at cities.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Final night of VNEA league tonight, our team is down by 1 round after leading the league since the third week, much of the time by 17 or more rounds. The first place team was behind us by 25 rounds just 6 weeks ago.

Update, Lost all rounds and will probably end up in 3rd.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing in a "Straight 8" bar table league with some friends of mine. They have been playing in it for a while, because they hate the APA out here. It's not as bad as everyone would think it is and I sort of enjoy it. You don't have to call eeeevvvvverrrryyyything like you would expect. Rather, you only have to call the shot. If I'm going to bank the 8 in the side, I have to call it. If I'm going to shoot the 3 ball off the 4, into the corner, I have to call it. I don't have to call that the ball will rub the rail and hit the facing... lol

I like the format the most. There are 6 players, from each team, that play each night. There are six singles games, three doubles games, and three scotch doubles games. A total of 18 points is up for grabs each night. One point is awarded for each singles win and two points for each doubles win. There are no handicaps, since it's literally a race to one with each matchup. So far, I've won 5 out of 6, only losing one scotch doubles match, because my partner missed an easy bank shot.

I'm still a SL6 in APA 9-ball and I probably won't get to play the rest of the session, unless they need me in the playoffs.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've been in quite a funk the last few months, and have gotten discouraged. No excuses, its all in my control, I simply am not playing well, and not correcting the reasons why.

Its gotten so bad that many nights, after a particularly poor performance, I get to feeling that I just don't wanna go thru this any more.

Then, a day or two later, I'm looking forward to playing again :p today is one of those days. Hope my opponent tonight is ready, cuz I'm after it!

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I've been in quite a funk the last few months, and have gotten discouraged. No excuses, its all in my control, I simply am not playing well, and not correcting the reasons why.

Its gotten so bad that many nights, after a particularly poor performance, I get to feeling that I just don't wanna go thru this any more.

Then, a day or two later, I'm looking forward to playing again :p today is one of those days. Hope my opponent tonight is ready, cuz I'm after it!

There's nothing wrong with taking a break if you get in a funk.

I hate to follow your funk with... what's the opposite of a funk? Oh yeah... ass-kicking :))) but I won my Lagger's Choice team match last night. Between my singles and team divisions I'm 7-1.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
There's nothing wrong with taking a break if you get in a funk.

I hate to follow your funk with... what's the opposite of a funk? Oh yeah... ass-kicking :))) but I won my Lagger's Choice team match last night. Between my singles and team divisions I'm 7-1.

Nice! Congrats.

A break sounds good. Problem is me and my blasted sense of responsibility. I'm the captain of one team, and co captain of the other (also the team that's qualified for states coming up)....and I just won't go and drop those responsibilities, unless I'm forced to.

So I shall carry on! Duty (and beer) calls, I shall answer! My teammates are great, I enjoy almost everyone that participates in our league, its really good that way. I just gotta get my head in the game properly. If this is my worst problem, I'll be ok

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Aaaaaaand back to not wanting to play this stupid game anymore :p

Sigh.

Sometimes you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
We just recently won our BCA session so our team will be going to Vegas hopefully, the prize money wasn't very much so we'll be coming out of pocket for 80% of the flight and all of the rest. Might come out early to play some singles events and maybe if I can sucker someone into being my partner we'll try to get into some doubles events too.

Late July and early August right?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We just recently won our BCA session so our team will be going to Vegas hopefully, the prize money wasn't very much so we'll be coming out of pocket for 80% of the flight and all of the rest. Might come out early to play some singles events and maybe if I can sucker someone into being my partner we'll try to get into some doubles events too.

Late July and early August right?

You gotta pay 80% ? Wow !.

My spa team went 2 years ago. Our lo paid for 4 rooms for 5 nights. 7 round trip flights and 600.00 cash .

I would not even go if I paid weekly dues and had to pay 80% of the cost also.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
You gotta pay 80% ? Wow !.

My spa team went 2 years ago. Our lo paid for 4 rooms for 5 nights. 7 round trip flights and 600.00 cash .

I would not even go if I paid weekly dues and had to pay 80% of the cost also.

Yeah it's almost pointless to play but we have a good team and enjoy each other's company, so being in Vegas as a group will be a great time. Sure it would have been nice to get paid enough to foot the bill or at least make it feel like you won something but whatever, just means we have to push a little harder when we get there to make up the difference!!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it's almost pointless to play but we have a good team and enjoy each other's company, so being in Vegas as a group will be a great time. Sure it would have been nice to get paid enough to foot the bill or at least make it feel like you won something but whatever, just means we have to push a little harder when we get there to make up the difference!!

Good attitude and good luck

Banks

Banned
Aaaaaaand back to not wanting to play this stupid game anymore :p

Sigh.

Sometimes you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug

Yeah, dumb game.

Just go and play to have fun and play your game. That's what i try to do if i think I'm not having much fun with league and playing poorly, sorta turns into trying too hard. Either way, i at least enjoy playing more.

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
finished 3rd

I finished 3rd in our BCA 9 ball league. 1st was an Oklahoma Grand Master and 2nd was an Oklahoma Master. finished above some other master players and felt I shot good through the year.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finshed both leagues this week and I'm blah about my year. I moved up a level in both leagues I play and finished one 50-42 and the other 37-32 and finished both with an 8 average. Barely over .500 in both and I only had 4 ero's during league. I wish I could transfer over how well I do in practice to how well I do in league but I don't practice with the same level of competition as I shoot against in league.

I'm pretty happy about my tournaments. I only failed to cash in one singles tournament I played in and out of 5 team tournaments we cashed in 3 but I didn't shoot my best. I wish I could translate my singles performance to teams matches too.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My current APA 8 ball team will have to restructure next session because of handicaps. Two of our team member's handicaps have increased over the session. Our current S/Ls are 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3 (we had two S/L 4s at the beginning of the session).

I believe that I'm on the 6/7 borderline. A lot of people in our league are surprised that I'm not a S/L 7 yet. I stopped playing when our first S/L 4 got advanced to a S/L 5 because I felt that it would screw the team for me to go to a 7 this session (although my ultimate goal is to be a 7, I was in contention for league MVP, and I was on pace to beat my single session win/loss record of 8-1 or 89%).

Fast-forward to last night...

3 of my teammates (a S/L 6 and two S/L 5s) were out of town playing in a tournament for another league so we already had it figured out that we were going to have to forfeit the last match because of the team handicap rule. However another teammate (S/L 5) had a family emergency and couldn't make it. Our opponents were cool and allowed our S/L 3 to play twice which allowed me to play and remain under the team handicap. I played a S/L 6 and beat him 5-0.

I'm currently 7-0 this session and waiting to see if I will move up a S/L next week.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I was accused of having to cheat to win this week. Funny thing is that I was down 4-1 in the previous rack....thought it was match and shook hands. No it wasn't over yet. He gave me BIH after the foul and subsequent name calling. 4-2....4-3....oh yes name calling throughout. He left and forfeited the last 1 or 2 ( I may have the score wrong ). It was a 5-5 race. We lost and got bumped out of 1st place by a different team.

Probably my last APA year.
This ain't golf my friends. Tired of arguing fouls.