how are ya'll doing in league ?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Back into league play after 4+ year hiatus

Yep, after 4-plus years of my elderly dad living with us, a mild heart attack, atrial fibrillation, diabetes, swollen prostate, and my wife getting breast cancer and her subsequent recovery, we are getting back into APA league play (8-ball) starting Jan. 22nd.

I contacted the League Operator about playing on a Jack-n-Jill team and was informed that I had to play on either an 8-ball or 9-ball team to do that. I told him that we weren't ready to play on two teams a week due to health concerns and us being away from leagues for so long (I am now at the cusp of 65 years old). My eyesight is not what it used to be and I now wear trifocals. I was a strong 6 when I left and judging from the way I now shoot on the home table (practice only), I am probably shooting like a strong four. So I imagine I'm going to get my butt whupped quite a bit.

Which is OK because when I spoke with the LO I told him the reason we wanted to play on a Jack-n-Jill team was because my wife and I don't care about the winning/losing aspect of it, that we just want to get out of the house and meet people and maybe have a drink or two. So, he said that he would get a team together with him on it and find some people to play on it with like-minded players.

So....we'll see how it goes. I will post again sometime after the first night of play.

Maniac

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not officially in the league, but I've been playing as a phantom player for the league operator. I appreciate it because it gets me out of the house and playing again(having a kid hampers playing time) and it helps him because he is testing out a new format for the league championship. he has 80 players throughout the week playing in different places in NYC and only the top 48 players point wise will make it to the playoffs. As you can imagine, a lot of people are really going in hard this season. Half do not like the idea whereas others are loving it. It really gives the players something to shoot for.

So far I've played 4 weeks and have won all of them. Mind you, I'm a lower handicap compared to the players I'm playing, but I kick and pot well enough where I'm a very strong low level player.

As for other stuff in league life, I'm going to be joining a straight pool league starting this sunday.

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my first session of APA in 14 years. I'm an SL4 and it has been a weird start. I won Rackless my first night to a SL5. I played pretty good, but lost 4-0 to a SL6 the second week. Last week I won 4-0 to a SL2, and this week I lost 4-0 to another SL5. The second week I probably played my best pool, but just couldn't finish the games. This week I played terrible with short stretches during each game where I thought I was out till I blew an easy shot. For some reason my aim was just all over the place.

It has been all or nothing for me so far, hopefully I can get settled in soon.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Yep, after 4-plus years of my elderly dad living with us, a mild heart attack, atrial fibrillation, diabetes, swollen prostate, and my wife getting breast cancer and her subsequent recovery, we are getting back into APA league play (8-ball) starting Jan. 22nd.

I contacted the League Operator about playing on a Jack-n-Jill team and was informed that I had to play on either an 8-ball or 9-ball team to do that. I told him that we weren't ready to play on two teams a week due to health concerns and us being away from leagues for so long (I am now at the cusp of 65 years old). My eyesight is not what it used to be and I now wear trifocals. I was a strong 6 when I left and judging from the way I now shoot on the home table (practice only), I am probably shooting like a strong four. So I imagine I'm going to get my butt whupped quite a bit.

Which is OK because when I spoke with the LO I told him the reason we wanted to play on a Jack-n-Jill team was because my wife and I don't care about the winning/losing aspect of it, that we just want to get out of the house and meet people and maybe have a drink or two. So, he said that he would get a team together with him on it and find some people to play on it with like-minded players.

So....we'll see how it goes. I will post again sometime after the first night of play.

Maniac

Nice to see you back again. Sorry to hear about the health/family stuff...

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Had a guy quit on me last night. He asked me at the beginning of match 4 if he was going to play the last match and I told him yes I thought so. However, the fourth match didnt go our way at all (our guy got skunked) so I decided to throw up our strongest 8 ball player, against a guy he has a great record against and had just dominated in 9 ball 18-2, to try and salvage a win. My quitter now claims I have no integrity and am not a man of my word. I feel like I was just trying to do what was best for the team. Screw being a captain, Im done after this session. I think Im just going to play tournaments from now on.

Tournaments?! You can't play tournaments, you have no integrity...
....well, after all you did put him on your team......

Don't sweat it, every team has a Princess

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we finished our first ever APA 8 ball session and qualified forTricups. We made it to the finals of Tricups and lost the final match 8-5, so we did not qualify for Cities...maybe after this session. I finished the session as a SL 4, and while I lost a few matches, I was proud that I never lost a match to someone ranked at my level or lower. All of my losses were to SL 6's and 7's. I also got a few patches- "rackless" , "took down a 7" and "break and run" .

Couple of things I learned about myself and my game:

I have the shots to play pretty good (for my level), but many times I try to play like I am much better than I actually am, sounds strange, but many times during a match I would sit there and analyze a table and plan a run like I can shoot like SVB. This gets me tight and stressed. The smart play at my level is to make a 3 or 4 ball run and look for a good safety, vs. trying the ultra creative, high english shots.

Once I settled down and stopped analyzing every missed ball or over run position during the match, I begin to play much faster an looser. As a result my match results improved.

I

Started the new session last night with a Rackless over a SL5 who beat me last session, so off to a good start so far.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost both my matches to people I had no business losing to. Just poor concentration this time as I have been moving for two weeks and have spent every waking hour doing that...and the handicap disadvantages are killing me in these matches. Less than a month til I get my home table and can practice every day though. Consistency should skyrocket after that

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
We lost our 8-ball Wild card match last night, and I can't be upset about it.

We're down to the last match, I have to shut out my opponent for us to win. Any other result, we lose. I'm SL5, playing an SL3. She's really nervous, but a good player. Not sure, but could have been her first time in a playoff environment.

First game, it's down to my last ball before the 8, she has 3 balls left. She has ball in hand, and gets her last coach. Her coach goes over the progression she should follow, and she does a good job on the first two balls, and after making the third ball, she gets a little out of line for the 8-ball.

She has no coaches left, and is faced with either a table length cut at about 45 degrees, on a 9-foot table, or to try and bank it somewhere. She takes her time, and looks it over, clearly unsure and nervous. Gets down on the shot, and makes a beautiful cut shot, all the way down the table. I was standing pretty much on the shot line, and I could tell the moment she hit it that it was in.

She was so elated, and she still didn't realize that winning that one game (which put her on the hill and thus guaranteed her at least one point, all her team needed) had clinched the match for her team. She was so genuinely happy. I was happy for her. She beat me with a great shot, tip your hat and move on...

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I had an interesting week.

Thursday apa 9 ball. Won 38-33 vs a 6. Admittedly that 6 seemed a lil off from what I have seen from him before but I shot pretty good . Only made a couple mistakes that let him get close to me.

Had masters today at 2:00. Lost my first match 7-6 to another 5. Won my 2nd match 7-2 to a different 5.

Left there at 5:00 for my 6:00 double jeapordy league..

Here is where it got real interesting and I can see why so many people cry leagues are full I sandbaggers. Both of my opponents played way above their normal level of play from what I have seen from them before. I myself have had days like they both did today.

I played 8 ball vs a girl who is a 4. I won 4-2 however it was a hard fought win and I had to saftey the heck out of her for that win. It just amazed the heck out I me when I played a lockdown safe and she made a successful jump. In all my years in apa I have never seen a 4 jump. Well I had the opportunity to okay another safe on her and again she made a jump where she cleared the obstructing ball but hit my ball first which was froze to hers. After the match I asked her what brand of cue she was using to jump. A friggin players lol. Makes me want to get rid of my predator bk 3 and get a players lol.

Now on to 9 ball where I faced a 3. I lost 35 -25 in a 38-25 race. This guy was running out from everywhere. He had a heckuva 8 ball match also against one of my 4's . This 3 won 2-0 . First rack went 2 innings and he had a break and run the 2nd rack. I doubt if he will stay a 3 long he keeps shooting the way he did tonight.

Usapl starts up tomorrow night after a 3 week layoff. 2 weeks off for the holidays and did not make playoffs last week. Usapl reports to Fargo rate. The last week I played I was a 495. I looked today and saw I was raised to a 508 even though I have not played any. Interesting thing is your rating will go up or down according to how previous opponents are doing even if you dont play. My goal is to reach 550 this year. I dont know if its feasible or not. Hard to get better the older you get lol.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Both my 8-ball and 9-ball teams won at Tri Cup this weekend, qualifying us for states in both! Pretty pumped up about it...great weekend.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both my 8-ball and 9-ball teams won at Tri Cup this weekend, qualifying us for states in both! Pretty pumped up about it...great weekend.

Congrats dub . :thumbup:

I dont have any teams that can be competitive at our higher level tournaments but at last pool is still fun for me. :smile:

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
We lost our 8-ball Wild card match last night, and I can't be upset about it.

We're down to the last match, I have to shut out my opponent for us to win. Any other result, we lose. I'm SL5, playing an SL3. She's really nervous, but a good player. Not sure, but could have been her first time in a playoff environment.

First game, it's down to my last ball before the 8, she has 3 balls left. She has ball in hand, and gets her last coach. Her coach goes over the progression she should follow, and she does a good job on the first two balls, and after making the third ball, she gets a little out of line for the 8-ball.

She has no coaches left, and is faced with either a table length cut at about 45 degrees, on a 9-foot table, or to try and bank it somewhere. She takes her time, and looks it over, clearly unsure and nervous. Gets down on the shot, and makes a beautiful cut shot, all the way down the table. I was standing pretty much on the shot line, and I could tell the moment she hit it that it was in.

She was so elated, and she still didn't realize that winning that one game (which put her on the hill and thus guaranteed her at least one point, all her team needed) had clinched the match for her team. She was so genuinely happy. I was happy for her. She beat me with a great shot, tip your hat and move on...

Great write-up, great sportsmanship. Would play for your team any day of the week.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Lost in semi for 9ball tri-cup. Tied first 8ball match of session (to the number 2 team last session) with 2 new players - one has never played APA before. More a bar banger - but I think he'll learn. First 9ball week was a bye. Week 2 tonight; 8ball.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I played 8 ball vs a girl who is a 4. I won 4-2 however it was a hard fought win and I had to saftey the heck out of her for that win. It just amazed the heck out I me when I played a lockdown safe and she made a successful jump. In all my years in apa I have never seen a 4 jump. Well I had the opportunity to okay another safe on her and again she made a jump where she cleared the obstructing ball but hit my ball first which was froze to hers. After the match I asked her what brand of cue she was using to jump. A friggin players lol. Makes me want to get rid of my predator bk 3 and get a players lol.

I thought it was against APA rules to jump.

Maniac

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
No its not against the rules and you are not alone in that thinking. The rule states jump cues are not allowed but you can use a full 2 piece cue to jump.

Needs to be a full length cue. And if the establishment says no jumping, that overrides the rule (like with masse).