spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
before we can outlaw jump cues in the men's pro tour, WE NEED A MENS PRO TOUR

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Neil said:
I have to disagree with you in principle on this one. Not in your actual statement though. I say that because you said "secret manufacturers group". And, I agree, they are not a secret. Everyone knows of the BCA, you even mentioned them as being one of the ones that made the 40" rule.

Then you state that some jump cues are essentially the same as just using a shaft. Since that is so, why the rule? The rule made by the manufacturers association? How many jump cues do you really think would be sold if it was legal to use just the shaft? I would say, not many.

I did get an idea from this thread though! I do own a jump cue, and use it, it's foolish not to when your opponent does. But, I think I might take a joint protector, superglue 2 or 3 straws on the end of it, and screw it into my shaft. It will be 40" long, so it has to be legal. With that, I know I can jump anything. I have jumped a ball with a dollar bill sandwiched between the ob and the cb before. It might be worth it just to watch the jump cue purists complain about it!

I think the rule was not created by the industry group, the BCA, but rather by the tournament promotion organization, The Texas Exrress group or whatever the official name was. I am sure that Robin Adair or Randy Goetlicher can clarify this. I believe the BCA only adopted their rule. As far as I know the rule was put into effect to stop the production of the jump rods which were steel or wooden clubs with 15mm tips that were shorter than shafts. I do not know what the exact reasoning here was but I am POSITIVE that it wsan't to spur the sales of jump cues.

Jump cues with handles had been around well before the jump rods. Joss, Meucci, and Huebler all had versions. Many people had made their own from broken cues including me.

The reason shaft jumping is not practical is that you have very little control over the cueball.

Yes, you can make the cueball hop easier. But that is like saying that the only value to a pool cue is that you can make the cueball go forward.

You are not the first person to think of the "fake" handle idea. Lots of people have done it and abandoned it not because it's against the rules but instead because it severely limits the amount of CONTROLLED jump shots you can make.

Just as the pool cue itself has evolved into it's present form as the optimum instument for controlling the cue ball so has the jump cue evolved into it's present form as the optimal way to control the cue ball on a jump shot.

As for the Dollar Bill jump I was once doing an exhibition at a show and a guy came up and offered to bet that he could do it with five tries for $500 using a Bunjee Jumper Jump cue (the brand I was selling). I pulled out a couple thousand and threw it on the table and said, "you have one try for all of it". He declined. Later that evening he brougth someone else to the booth and got them to bet $500 on five tries and he did on the second try using a 9oz Bunjee Jumper jump cue. Then he showed me how to do it for free.

Again though, it's not the act of jumping one ball over another one that is the hard part. That's just proper technique and stroke. The hard part is controlling your cue ball on a jump shot.

So, if you can use your shaft with straws taped to it to control your rock then great. I will bet serious dough that I can set up 20 jump shots and you will not make 15 of them with just a tricked up shaft.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Nothing consistent about any of those things mentioned in the pool world.

Actually there is plenty consistent.

Balls: Round, made of phenolic resin compounds, all weigh about 6oz, and have around the same degree of elasticity. In pool the standard diameter is 2.25inches.

Cushions: Made of gum rubber, nose is approximately the same height on all tables, elasticity is very close over various brands.

Cloth: Comes in two types, with nap and without and within those two types there is very little variation. Whichever one is used provides a consistent playing surface.

Slate: precision machined to provide a stable and flat surface regardless of manufacturer.

Cues: have evolved into tapered instruments that are all pretty much the same with only slight variances. The shape and weight and size of a pool cue is nearly the same the world over.

Tips: they are all about the same, made of pressed and treated leather and shaped pretty much in the same way all over the world.

Chalk: pretty much the same composition all over the world.

In other words pool as it stands right now is vastly different than it was 100 years ago. And it's a more consistent playing environment which showcases players able to perform to the best of their ability.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
allen is old school. its funny to even see him jump. i know he hates it but the game has evolved. change or get out. i know old school pros that refuse to own a jump cue

making this rule would be like saying you can never draw the ball

Geez....if I saw in one of his videos that he invented a jump tip......hes way ahead pf you man

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I just got done watching SVB vs David G live...
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/fast-eddies-olhausen-9-ball-tour

Some moments that stood out:
-David G rolls out by nudging the CB to within 8ish inches of the interfering ball. The 1 is maybe 6 inches on the other side of that ball and a foot from the pocket. David is basically daring shane to jump and risk knocking something off the table.. and shane takes him up and drills it in. People were pretty excited by that.

-David made a nice longer jump to sink a ball in the corner and drew back just enough to get shape on the next ball.

-Shane tried a very close jump at a ball that's near the rail and drives both CB and OB off the table.

The first two added excitement and enjoyment for the spectators, and I'm sure if you asked the players they'd say they enjoyed it too. The last example is just to remind everyone that it's not just a matter of having the right cue or even being good at jumping. Even a world class player can screw it up. It is not the easy way out or shortcut that some people makes it sound like. And if you screw it up, you are virtually guaranteed to lose, so there's risk.

Despite both players being fine jumpers, I think I saw like 4 jumps in 30 racks. They haven't drastically altered the game or ruined pool's integrity, or even ruined kicking and safety play. There were far more kicks than jump attempts, and the majority of the safes were not situations where the CB is locked in tight against another ball. One of the awesome shots I witnessed was when David G kicked at an un-cuttable ball on the short rail even though there was no interfering ball... and made it and got out. Kicks are not some lost art that is dying out just because they keep coming up with slick new jump cues.

If it adds excitement to the game and something new for the players to master, without compromising the basics of what makes pool great... then I doubt it's a bad thing.

PS to Flex-
=/ You can be literal and pretend that I meant 'absolutely never, in the history of the sport, has a jump ever been attempted in straight pool or 1 pocket by any human being on the entire planet'... or you can act like the smart human being I know you are and admit that it is so rare that you might as well call it "never".

I mean, I could go out of my way to talk about the zillion 1p and 14.1 videos I've seen where there are 0 jumps, or how the commentator in one JS match said jumps were simply not used in that game (because yes, JS did eyeball a shot for a jump at one point... don't recall if he actually took it or made it). But it's pretty self-evident.

Jumps change (not ruin) 1 niche aspect of a few (not all) pool games. Let's not make them out to be more than they are. Pool has survived jump cues 20+ years after their introduction. The game is clearly not some frenzy of airborne balls where only the elderly bother with kicks.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
PS to Flex-
=/ You can be literal and pretend that I meant 'absolutely never, in the history of the sport, has a jump ever been attempted in straight pool or 1 pocket by any human being on the entire planet'... or you can act like the smart human being I know you are and admit that it is so rare that you might as well call it "never".

I mean, I could go out of my way to talk about the zillion 1p and 14.1 videos I've seen where there are 0 jumps, or how the commentator in one JS match said jumps were simply not used in that game (because yes, JS did eyeball a shot for a jump at one point... don't recall if he actually took it or made it). But it's pretty self-evident.

Jumps change (not ruin) 1 niche aspect of a few (not all) pool games. Let's not make them out to be more than they are. Pool has survived jump cues 20+ years after their introduction. The game is clearly not some frenzy of airborne balls where only the elderly bother with kicks.

Thanks for your comments, CreeDo.

It's true that jumps are seldom employed in 14.1 and one pocket, but they do come up from time to time, and I've seen others attempt them.

Jumps do not unalterably destroy the game, and most of the older players I know with whom jumping has been discussed (and who do not jump) have told me they never learned how to do it. If they're interested, yours truly is only too happy to show them how, and what sort of cue works particularly well for certain types of jump shots. If they don't want to learn, that's their business. Nevertheless, if they see me jumping at times and winning because of that, and they express displeasure or nausea, that's not my problem. Jumping, with a jump cue or full cue with regular tip (and I'm able to do both) is a necessary skill, especially today, no matter one's age.

Flex

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
The DCC only allows jumping with your playing cue. That tournament does okay. :p

Why does DCC ban jump cues? Is it because Diamond sells those tables afterward and wants them in good shape? If so, doesn't that pretty much prove that jumping is hard on the table and cloth? And if that is true, isn't that reason enough to ban jump cues?

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't half outlaw a shot.

I just wish pool halls would allow people to practice them more openly...

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
On top of that a kicking system and a jump cue are also the same. Should I get high praise because I can count diamonds and therefore my kicking percentage is well above 50%?

Am I cheating or going against tradition when I measure my kicks and banks according to geometric systems that are nearly foolproof?

Kicking systems like that don't exist. Rails all play differently, balls skid and go long on new cloth and the more worn the cloth is the shorter the rails play to a point. Hitting anything but straight center alters the path of the kick in any one of a million different ways and it is critical to often play kicks with spin.

The reality is the best bank pool players, the best 1-pocket players, the best kickers in the game of pool do not use systems. They do not sit there and count out diamonds and do higher math with a protracter and a measuring tape out to figure out how to hit the ball. They hit a ridiculous amount of kicks, both single and multi-rail and they build a inherant knowledge of how the cueball comes off the rails, and they adjust to the various conditions, cloth, dead rails or overly lively rails accordingly.

There is NONE of that kind of learning curve with the jump cue. Those cues took a hugely rich and developed part of the game that takes as much practice as any part of the game to excel at and made it irrelevant 90% of the time.

It's not just vendors and manufacturers who benefit here. It's tons of amateur players who love having a wider range of shots available to them.

It is the hacks who cannot play shape or have not put in the time, or have the skill to successfully kick that love having "that" wide range of skill and knowledge required to kick largely mitigated by their ability to jump out of 90% of the safeties or self made hooks they face. The jump shot does not require nearly the time and practice to master, it is a crutch for people to lean on and a equalizer between the good, and not so good players of the world. And that is the last thing this game needs atm.

You made the rules, we jump cue makers just filled the need created by those rules.

Not sure about where you live but shaft jumps were outlawed quite quickly in most events I played in. Jump cues were invented to cover the (40 inch or more) rule trying to make jumping as easy as technologically possible for players. That was not the intent of the rule, the rule should just change to (you must shoot with the same cue you shoot with after the break, start to finish).

Now the art of jumping has come so far that there is no denying that people want to be able to do these shots and they enjoy them.

Not everyone, I am the younger generation and I bloody hate jump shots. They are a gimmick and I honestly feel they are doing more harm then good to the game by far. When is the last time you saw a person play a masse shot in a pro event? People used to like seeing those, good luck seeing one very often with jump cues allowed. And masse shots take heaps more skill then a jump cue made jump shot, which is the reason people use jump cues constantly over the masse to begin with, the same with the kicks. People don't even think "kick" anymore, it is an automatic run for the jumper.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Why does DCC ban jump cues? Is it because Diamond sells those tables afterward and wants them in good shape? If so, doesn't that pretty much prove that jumping is hard on the table and cloth? And if that is true, isn't that reason enough to ban jump cues?

Greg should come on here and explain why he does not allow jump cues. They obviously are used in the action games at the DCC so it's not as if the wear on the table is the primary reason. I bet it's just a way for Greg to show his dislike of them. Like I said many times it's one of the reasons that this game will never get big. Every promoter and tournament director changes the rules to suit themselves.

Jumping is NOT HARD on the tables or the cloth. Please stop perpetrating this myth.

A jump shot flattens the fibers creating a white spot that is white BECAUSE the fiber is reflecting light at a different angle. That spot can be brushed out and made to disappear. Nor does the shot affect the slate in any way.

I have show this to room owners around the world.

ARRRGH - OK Spidey - no more typing - YEAR OF THE VIDEO PROOF.

John - has a lot of videos to make.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said Celtic !!!

Kicking systems like that don't exist. Rails all play differently, balls skid and go long on new cloth and the more worn the cloth is the shorter the rails play to a point. Hitting anything but straight center alters the path of the kick in any one of a million different ways and it is critical to often play kicks with spin.

The reality is the best bank pool players, the best 1-pocket players, the best kickers in the game of pool do not use systems. They do not sit there and count out diamonds and do higher math with a protracter and a measuring tape out to figure out how to hit the ball. They hit a ridiculous amount of kicks, both single and multi-rail and they build a inherant knowledge of how the cueball comes off the rails, and they adjust to the various conditions, cloth, dead rails or overly lively rails accordingly.

There is NONE of that kind of learning curve with the jump cue. Those cues took a hugely rich and developed part of the game that takes as much practice as any part of the game to excel at and made it irrelevant 90% of the time.

It is the hacks who cannot play shape or have not put in the time, or have the skill to successfully kick that love having "that" wide range of skill and knowledge required to kick largely mitigated by their ability to jump out of 90% of the safeties or self made hooks they face. The jump shot does not require nearly the time and practice to master, it is a crutch for people to lean on and a equalizer between the good, and not so good players of the world. And that is the last thing this game needs atm.

Not sure about where you live but shaft jumps were outlawed quite quickly in most events I played in. Jump cues were invented to cover the (40 inch or more) rule trying to make jumping as easy as technologically possible for players. That was not the intent of the rule, the rule should just change to (you must shoot with the same cue you shoot with after the break, start to finish).

Not everyone, I am the younger generation and I bloody hate jump shots. They are a gimmick and I honestly feel they are doing more harm then good to the game by far. When is the last time you saw a person play a masse shot in a pro event? People used to like seeing those, good luck seeing one very often with jump cues allowed. And masse shots take heaps more skill then a jump cue made jump shot, which is the reason people use jump cues constantly over the masse to begin with, the same with the kicks. People don't even think "kick" anymore, it is an automatic run for the jumper.

I knew if I kept peeking at this thread, some younger guy would express my exact feelings on the jump cue BS.
Very well worded too, Celtic.
Also your take on rail systems is spot on correct IMO.
One thing nice about internet squabbles, you CAN get a word in edgewise.
(even if you are up against someone who thinks they know just about all there is to know about everything)

Dick <---still kicks and masses. I notice you don't see 'NO MASSE SHOTS ALLOWED' signs in pool rooms any more. I'm sure its because the room owner's got tired of all the young bangers asking.... "whats a masse" ?

PS. Please read Celtic's original post, as the phrases he was referring too did not carry over.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

A kicking system is to kicks what a jump cue is to jump shots. It allows a person who is relatively inexperienced to perform the shot. Sorry but I have seen Tom Rossman teach C player how to kick three railers and hit the object ball EVERY TIME in less than five minutes. Of course there are a lot of variables that an experienced player learns to take into account which is why they are called an experienced player.

Can I ask you how many top players you are around and of those how many you have interviewed to know what they do or don't use? I will give you three that I know personally who use systems to kick and bank, Jimmy Reid and David Matlock, and Kelly Fisher. The reality is that top players use everything they can to win. If a system works then they would be foolish to ignore it.

So you are talking about all the nuance in kicking and banking and then you want to say that a jump cue ALL BY ITSELF automatically gives the user knowledge of which angle to use, what stroke to use, what spin to use and so on.... when performing a jump shot. So when Shawn Putnam makes a three foot jump shot into a six inch window and draws the rock out for position then HE did not do anything skillful it was all the cue?

Really, then why do so many good players own jump cues? Are they all hacks?

An equalizer? Really? If you truly think that then you can pick your top player - any name you want and I will let you play them even and they do not get to use a jump cue and you do.

You know as well as I do that any "good" player will JUMP at the chance to play any "not so good" player for ANY AMOUNT of money if the ONLY handicap is that that the lesser player gets a jump cue and the better player does not.

And actually IF your assertion were true which it is not, but if it were then ANYTHING that makes lesser players feel like champions and gets more of them playing IS GOOD FOR THE GAME. Can you say Chris Moneymaker, who made every internet wannabe feel like they too could be a poker world champion.

The 40" rule has been in place for 15 years. It's established. The jump cues of today are normal tools for playing the game under the current rules. Jump cues were around long before the specification was established.

Will you people that DON'T KNOW why a rule was enacted and DON'T KNOW the history or facts stop spouting off as if you do? Please. Or preface your comments with "I think" or "It's my opinion" or even "I don't know".

Of course the jump cue is there to make the act of jumping a ball as technologically easy as possible. Is it supposed to made harder?

What do you think a chalked leather cue tip does for the game of pool? Would you prefer if we still used maces to move the cueball around?

Not everyone, I am the younger generation and I bloody hate jump shots. They are a gimmick and I honestly feel they are doing more harm then good to the game by far. When is the last time you saw a person play a masse shot in a pro event?

Well just a few days ago actually when I watched the Niels Feijen vs. Santos ( I think it was Santos) final at the DCC. Pros play masse' shots all the time, they play whatever shot they feel is highest percentage. Don't you do that when you play? I play for the dough and not for show.

People used to like seeing those, good luck seeing one very often with jump cues allowed. And masse shots take heaps more skill then a jump cue made jump shot, which is the reason people use jump cues constantly over the masse to begin with, the same with the kicks. People don't even think "kick" anymore, it is an automatic run for the jumper.

Let me see, you say that you are from the "younger generation" and yet you make statements about what people "used to do" and think. If you want to see all the showy masse' shots then go check out Artistic Billiards
where they make massive masse' shots. Of course they also use special cues called Masse" cues for a lot of them.

Ray Martin, author of the 99 Critical Shots in Pool, a former World Champion said in his book that that you almost NEVER see a professional player using a "full masse" shot in competition. He compared to it to lunacy. The half masse' however is used quite often. So again I think that your descriptions of what reality is are mixed up with what you would like things to be.

Please don't make generalities that you cannot support. Pool players "think" of whatever shot is highest percentage for themselves based on their own skill and experience level. Better players weigh the kick vs. the jump. Lesser players might automatically go for the jump when the kick is the better shot and vice versa. Unless you have active stats based on verifiable observation please don't make such general statements as if it were fact.

As for "heaps more skill", you do realize that all shots are performed by a person hitting a ball right? The skill comes from each person not the cue and not the shot itself. You also know that different cues have different properties right? So one cue is easier to masse' with than another one. And I am talking about regular length cues.

The amount of misinformation and speculation surrounding this topic is astounding. Absolutely astounding.

I mean literally the whole jump "cue" thing comes down to a hard tip. That's 90% of the why it works. Other than that it's a regular cue in every way.

I fail to see why you think a draw shot is any different than a jump shot. They are two BASIC shots. A draw shot CANNOT be achieved without an abrasive tip (the gimmick device) AND knowledge of WHERE to hit the ball and the SKILL to deliver the stroke.

A jump shot cannot be made without the hard tip (the gimmick device) AND knowledge of WHERE to hit the ball and the SKILL to deliver the stroke.

If it can then prove it. Show me a cue that performs shots all by itself. There isn't one. The modern pool cue IS the most technologically advanced instrument we can come up with for accurately moving the cueball around the pool table and allowing us to manipulate it to the extreme of human talent and skill. The modern jump cue adds to that by allowing the HUMAN user every possible jump shot that said user can possibly execute according to their personal skill level.

NO BEGINNER IS GOING TO BE ABLE MAKE BUT A FRACTION OF THE JUMP SHOTS THAT SHAWN PUTNAM CAN MAKE. No beginner is going to be able to make but a fraction of the pool shots that Johnny Archer can make.

Got it?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Dick, just because someone echoed your sentiments doesn't make them right. Young people are highly impressionable :)

And yes you can get a word in edgewise but don't be surprised when that word is dissected 20 ways.

John

mtdsports

On The Road Again
Silver Member
does this mean i won't be able to use my break cue when i play 9 ball, or my schuler when i play 3 cushion, or that really long freaky skinny brass ferruled freak of nature snooker cue? or a bridge? or are those just natural parts of the game?

mongoose-

Banned
I have a jump cue & can use it very well. Granted I have been playing this game a long time but it took me about a minute to figure out how to use it. I got it because so many are using them now & you gotta have the gimicks to compete. Do I think jump cues should be allowed. NO. I think if one is going to jump it should be done with a regular playing cue. Jump cues take too much away from decent safety play. This of course just my opinion but when I play a decent safe on a player that can only run 4 or 5 balls & they pull out a jump cue and make a hit when they couldn't come 10 rows of an a**hole of kicking it it's enough to make me sick. Any idiot can jump with a jump cue.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
I have a jump cue & can use it very well. Granted I have been playing this game a long time but it took me about a minute to figure out how to use it. I got it because so many are using them now & you gotta have the gimicks to compete. Do I think jump cues should be allowed. NO. I think if one is going to jump it should be done with a regular playing cue. Jump cues take too much away from decent safety play. This of course just my opinion but when I play a decent safe on a player that can only run 4 or 5 balls & they pull out a jump cue and make a hit when they couldn't come 10 rows of an a**hole of kicking it it's enough to make me sick. Any idiot can jump with a jump cue.

Sounds to me you need to sharpen up your safety skills.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dick, just because someone echoed your sentiments doesn't make them right. Young people are highly impressionable :)

And yes you can get a word in edgewise but don't be surprised when that word is dissected 20 ways.

John

John, Just because you are a proponent of jump cues, (AND in the business of selling them) does not mean your lengthy diatribes and dissections are indisputably correct.
You have a habit of talking down to anyone who disagrees with your take on ANY given subject.
You tend to throw $10,000. bets in their face (which is really a huge turn-off to most hard working middle class guys) knowing you will not be called.
In our last heated exchange, I thought we agreed to disagree.
I will still spout my beliefs, just as you have a right to assert yours.
However, you should not treat everyone who doesn't see the world through your eyes...as an uninformed idiot.
That is very disrespectful.

Dick

PS. I will ALWAYS view jump cues, as tatamount to a "foot wedge" in golf. Also, regardless of what you espouse, the skill to use one or the other is about equal. JMHO

Last edited:

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Flex as I said that was just my opinion. My safety game is just fine.. I play a low A level game. So thanks for the insult.

Not an insult, at all. I'm sorry you took offense. Certainly wasn't my intention to insult you.

However.............

Your safety game can obviously use a bit of work if a rank beginner can easily jump and make contact with the correct ball. Regardless of the level of your game, which you state is "a low A level game," if it's so easy to jump out of a hook, that hook isn't good enough. Sorry if I said something obvious.

With some of the fellows I know, when they lay down a safety, there's no jump there, at least if they're laying a good one.

Flex