Orcollo vs SVB confirmed

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was the final score on the recent Shane vs Shaw, I forgot?

Even that match might've been nothing more than an exhibition.

The match to see is Shane vs Wu or Filler for real money.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To reiterate what I said before the SVB vs Shaw match of a couple of months ago, it's hard to understand why anyone is willing to play "rack your own" against Shane, but it looks like Shane has ensnared another. I guessed then it was worth ten on the wire. Shaw played phenomenal pool and lost 100-91.

Orcullo can definitely win because he's a true champion, but I think he's made a very tough game here. My prediction is SVB 100 Orcullo 86.

Yep, it takes an absolute beast to even stay close to Shane when playing 10 ball and long races.

Has DO's 10 ball break and game improved lately? If not, I wouldn't want to be his backer. Someone ask me earlier if I wanted to make a wager. Lol....I told them no and then heck-no. Sure, like most, I feel Shane has an edge but, it's DO and he'll need an edge.

Then again, someone mentioned fishing.....lol..... I hope Shane has not spent to much time in the boat lately because regardless of how good his break is, DO will be on him quick and hard if he slips even a little.

It's gonna be a match that will not be forgotten for a long time to come if both players bring their "A" game.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol your right but he's still a top player as we speak, why do you think he's playing all this one pocket , just like Shane and Chang no one wants to play them 10 ball , that's why

DO plays all this one pocket because he can give the nuts and outrun it , overall it's made him a better in all games , hell I know for a fact if they can catch the right bet and they are trying he wants to take a run at 626 ,

i think people underestimate the importance of Roy and Dima in this , they are not just backers they are like horse trainers Roys Basment is a training facility, look at DD and Kristina for instance thier game has improved dramatically,

I watched Dima one day trying to show a shot to Kristina and she clearly was getting frustrated with him , finally she hit the shot and she lit up like a Christmas tree ,

I had to chuckle because some of the guys watching were like what can he teach her and I said plenty, after that I looked over and said there you have it ,

I wasn't implying that DO isn't a top player now. I was saying that after his game falls off, he will still have that killer instinct and still stay in action because it's in his blood.

I didn't know DO had improved that much. I knew he had been playing mostly 1hole, thats why I made the comment earlier about a 1hole player trying to compete with Shane's 10 ball break.

I know Roy and Roy doesn't make bad bets but, I've known him to slip a little in the past and come close.

Regardless of who wins, I'm 100% certain that it's gonna be epic.

I know DO is a beast but, running 626 balls is entirely different than outrunning the nuts given to a weaker player because DO is able to capitalize on their weakness.

The 626 14.1 ghost don't have a weakness.

I like DO but, I just don't see it happening unless he puts his entire life on hold for a good long time and I don't see it being worth it to him or Roy.

Jeff

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know how Shane can improve from that US title when he beat DO.
Dennis shot some .930+ and lost bad. :eek:
Shane just outsafed him. Won like 7 games in a row iirc.
I think they shot just about even but Shane's break and safety games are better than Dennis's.

Shane has beaten Dennis in the US Open 9B finals twice -- 2012 and 2014.

In 2014, their TPAs were .953 (SVB) and .948 (DO) with Shane winning 13-10. The longest game-winning streak by either player was 3, by Shane. Shane also knocked Dennis to the left side that year (11-5) in the winners' side round of 4.

In the 2012 finals, Shane won 13-7. Shane won 8 games in a row, going from 1-2 to 9-2. Dennis then won the next 5 games to get within 2, but Shane won the last 4 in a row.

In Shane's most recent US Open 9B win, 2016, he knocked Dennis out in 4th place 11-5.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess they made appearance money offer to Shane that he couldn't refuse :eek:

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From TheMarsMan (and he would know):

Standard pro-cut Diamond table

New cloth, balls

Magic Rack

both are rack mechanics but with the template there is a little less room for manipulation i think? the other factors probably favors svb

i still don't understand why these supposedly big money matches never seem to have money big enough to pay a referee..

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Dennis may be more "creative", but I think Shane plays more "textbook" and "consistent".

I actually think it's the exact opposite of this, personally. I think Dennis runs the balls a hair better than Shane. Dennis plays about the simplest patterns possible and just takes longer shots, much like Filler, and I believe that's the most efficient way to play rotation games. Shane's game has a bit more flair imo, and in a race to 120 I think the small differences in their pattern play will show up a handful of times. That being said, Shane's break overshadows all of the stuff I just mentioned by a lot. Is there any reason to believe this will be different than their TAR match? I don't think so

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a neutral racker, this is almost too close to call, but given the format, my prediction is SVB 100 Orcullo 86.

It's a race to 120!

But wasn't the score of their previous race to 100 something similar to your prediction? I know Dennis lost by double digits. I don't see any reason it would be different this time around.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go Shane

After Shane wins this match I hope Shane plays him some One Pocket soon. Shane's break is better and I hope no jump cues. I also hope there is a neutral racker and ref.

I hope Shane agrees to a One Pocket Match with Dennis some day.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I don't know how Shane can improve from that US title when he beat DO.
Dennis shot some .930+ and lost bad. :eek:
Shane just outsafed him. Won like 7 games in a row iirc.
I think they shot just about even but Shane's break and safety games are better than Dennis's.

Top pros can tell the differences, for players that haven't reached a High level of play yet, it's much more difficult for obvious reasons, that's all. I am not slinging mud, just an observation is all.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
After Shane wins this match I hope Shane plays him some One Pocket soon. Shane's break is better and I hope no jump cues. I also hope there is a neutral racker and ref.

Oh ya, the hand shake. Shane should of asked for a mans hand shake from Dennis at the start of each day and the end of the match. Make Dennis do at least one manly hand shake in his career.

I mean Dennis used to be a fisherman for craps sake and every fishermen I have known had a strong grip.

Dennis is actually very strong for a small man and has a good grip if he needs it. In the Philippines the culture is different regarding hand shakes. A gentle touching or clasping of hands being the norm there.

It's time these stupid remarks about how Dennis shook someone's hand be put to rest. I find it interesting that some people feel a need to tear Dennis down. It's too bad they don't know the man I know. It takes a strong man to stay at the top of the pool world for so long and Dennis is one!

By the way, he has never been afraid to challenge Shane at any game for any amount. Of course he feels that way about just about anyone on a pool table. I don't know of any other player I've seen in the last fifteen years quite like him in that respect.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
sjm said:
To reiterate what I said before the SVB vs Shaw match of a couple of months ago, it's hard to understand why anyone is willing to play "rack your own" against Shane, but can definitely win because he's a true champion, but I think he's made a very tough game here. With a neutral racker, this is almost too close to call, but given the format, my prediction is SVB 100 Orcullo 86.

If the implication here is that Shane is good at getting the balls to freeze up, then the difference between him and Dennis isn't really relevant, it's trivial to get the balls to freeze up with a template.

If the implication is that Shane is good at deliberately gapping the rack to his advantage... that may be the case in nine ball. But in 10 ball there is no advantageous way to gap the rack. The break works best with a frozen rack. I know a couple of B players who make that second row ball in the side reliably using a magic rack with no attempt to gap anything.

if Shane outbreaks Dennis, it will mostly be down to superior mechanics. He's been practicing that break his whole life.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Handshake

Oh ya, the hand shake. Shane should of asked for a mans hand shake from Dennis at the start of each day and the end of the match. Make Dennis do at least one manly hand shake in his career.

I mean Dennis used to be a fisherman for craps sake and every fishermen I have known had a strong grip.

The soft handshake is an Acadian thing too. In upper central and north Louisiana I use a firm grip. South of there I drop to a medium grip so I can relax still more if encountering the very common extremely soft grip. Many cajuns use a very very soft grip, have for generations. Older cajuns I always start with a soft grip and only tighten if theirs is firmer.

Anybody that thinks cajun men aren't manly can find out the hard way they are wrong. The soft handshake is the mark of a gentleman, not necessarily a gentle man! They don't try to make the handshake a grip contest.

Hu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm not too old to learn.

A few of you have made the case well that Shane's advantage in "rack your own" is less against Dennis than it was against Shaw. Also. I didn't realize it was a race to 120.

I'm revising my prediction: Shane 120 Dennis 107.

Thanks for the education!

This match could be a dandy if both players bring it. I'm quite certain that the winner here will be ……… the fans.

May the better man win.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess they made appearance money offer to Shane that he couldn't refuse :eek:
A $10,000 appearance fee is enough to make anyone play.

Too bad Shane would never agree to use the wood rack, instead of the magic rack, so this match could be interesting.

Attachments

• svb1.jpg
    svb1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 479

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Hire and pay for neutral rackers....THAT will speed up the game DRAMATICALLY and take away ANY advantage that's gained, from letting the fox in the henhouse.

That's how I see it.

But if it's just a Gambling match, then it's their business....Plain and Simple.