Orcollo vs SVB confirmed

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Since we argue here on the forums about the racks all the time, and the pros do amongst themselves as well while racking, it would be cool if the streamers started putting a dedicated camera directly overhead of the rack and permanently zoomed into the rack as tight as possible. Then display its feed onto a dedicated TV at the venue. And for the online streamers, cut to that camera during the racking process. Don't use that camera for anything else. Completely optimize it for this task only, then don't touch it.

I don't know if there would be enough resolution or a good enough viewpoint to see all the gaps. I know when I'm checking, I have to get my face pretty close, and also move my head around to check the different balls. But this would be a good start.

It can also be used to very easily check for a crooked rack, or a rack in the wrong place. Whether using a magic rack, or a triangle, if the outside of said rack was drawn on the table, the camera would for sure pick up if the rack was in the wrong place.

Having the TV at the venue will make it clear to all who is doing a good job racking, and who is not. I think exposing one's rack for all the room to see automatically, will take care of any players "purposely" cheating, and also of player "too lazy" to do it correctly.
Cell phone works

022DE4E7-911E-44FE-A2A4-BF0A70247BCD.jpeg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe right side break

I see gaps.

Rerack the balls, you damn cheater. :)

Might break from the right side. Square into the one or just touching the one and into the second ball. I take these racks as offered a lot of the time after looking at them a couple minutes. When the guy gets nervous and offers a rerack I tell them, "no problem, just looking for something to exploit." Something about that word exploit, I get very good racks after that!

Hu

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I prefer LONG races to short races.

Race to 120 is good if the money is right.

People come on here and make comments that, to me, indicate that they have way less "betting sense" than somebody like SVB or Orcollo, or any player who wants the "BEST" possible "chance" to win.

They play at such a high level that they know you can lose a match by losing two sets 11-10, 11-10, and winning one set 11-0. That is a stupid bet, IMO.

If you think you are the "better" player (and you actually are), then the odds are a lot better in going one LONG match and not playing sets, where one or two errors may cost you the match.

If I'm playing and betting, I don't give a damn how many spectators are BORED. I'm not in it for the "entertainment value", I'm in it to win it.

Agree 100%

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Might break from the right side. Square into the one or just touching the one and into the second ball. I take these racks as offered a lot of the time after looking at them a couple minutes. When the guy gets nervous and offers a rerack I tell them, "no problem, just looking for something to exploit." Something about that word exploit, I get very good racks after that!

Hu

Good for you! I loved it when a guy tried to bad rack me. First of all it showed me weakness and second I saw opportunity. If you know anything about how the break actually works you can turn a bad rack to your advantage. I may have made more balls on the break with racks like this then with tight racks.

I know you know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think the rack mechanics who tilt the rack are giving an edge...not getting it.
...you don’t even have to walk down and look to choose which side to break from.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the rack mechanics who tilt the rack are giving an edge...not getting it.
...you don’t even have to walk down and look to choose which side to break from.

There you go! I knew you were a real pool player. :thumbup:

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since we argue here on the forums about the racks all the time, and the pros do amongst themselves as well while racking, it would be cool if the streamers started putting a dedicated camera directly overhead of the rack and permanently zoomed into the rack as tight as possible. Then display its feed onto a dedicated TV at the venue. And for the online streamers, cut to that camera during the racking process. Don't use that camera for anything else. Completely optimize it for this task only, then don't touch it.
if something like this became commonplace, Shane would quit pool altogether

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The racking subject is one on which I'm not very knowledgeable. Yes, I know players tilt the rack and leave gaps when it suits them, but know little of how they do it.

Contrastingly, I am more knowledgeable about pattern racking. I remember being amused when I mentioned, a few years ago, to a top ten in the world player (that I'd rather not identify) that his opponent (rack your own event) was pattern racking. His answer, to my great surprise, was "I know, everyone is."

I guess it really is all about the rack!

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
10-ball rack rigging

Revisiting this thread... a few posts back, I was saying 10b with template doesn't need to be gapped,
and someone said that sometimes, you don't know what you don't know.

That's a fair point, so I decided to really test it properly.
Not just by myself, but with 2 guys who break far more consistently than I do.

My initial solo test was to just repeatedly break, but cheat a little for the sake of the experiment.
My stroke isn't laser-straight and I don't always hit the rack dead square,
so I placed the cue ball ~2 feet closer to the rack to ensure I hit exactly where I wanted.
--> https://pad.chalkysticks.com/0258f.png

(this is all on a standard diamond btw, with aramith balls)

It took a few tries to get my aim dialed in, but once I did, I got the 2nd row ball in the side 4x in row.
I didn't even need to hit that hard. Sometimes I made both of them.
So then I tried gapping the rack between the 2nd row balls, which supposedly makes them go easier.

First of all, this is not easy with the magic rack (the black one, I didn't test accu-rack).
Simply feathering the head ball with your fingertip doesn't do it... If you create a small gap,
and lift your finger, the balls fall right back into place. I had to steadily push the head ball
(not spin it gently in place) to create a gap, and getting the gap to stay took several tries.

From that point on, the 2nd row balls did NOT go, the ball on my side hit a bit low.
The other one barely moved, tho if I could break as hard as SVB it'd at least reach the side rail.

"Yeah but that test is BS, you're not breaking from the line"...
ok, so that's why I got some help from guys who don't need to do it from the "ladies tees" :)

All 3 of us played 10 ball for several hours, same conditions (aramiths, pro-cut diamond, magic rack).
I tried my best to hit squarely even though I have to dial my speed back to like 14-15mph to hit accurately.
My buddies hit around 17.5-18 mph. We made sure the rack wasn't tilted.

With no gapping, here's our results for making the 2nd row ball.
I'm trying to be conservative here and not exaggerate:

Andrew (Manning, from AZ forums): 70% success rate
Sanjee: 60% success rate
Me: 55% success rate

We tried a few with the gap between the 2nd row balls. We didn't make the balls once that way.
In Andrew's case, the ball on his side might have gone, but kept getting kissed out by another ball,
and he got the same problem I had in solo testing: the 2nd row ball on the other side barely moved.

To me, it doesn't compute that pros are trying to make a gap in 10 ball. It helps in 9b, I know that.
It doesn't seem to help in 10 ball. And it's SUPER obvious when you try to make a gap with a magic rack.

If a couple of B-players (Fargo 600ish) can make those balls 60-70% of the time
without any cheats, and the pros make them balls 70-80%, that seems to suggest
they are simply doing the same thing we're doing, but more consistently.

You can see that same high success rate even when there's a neutral racker -
Here's SVB vs. Billy Thorpe, neutral racker, and they make the 2nd row balls 9 out of 13 times (70%).
They break dry probably only once.
Here's Filler vs. Shaw, neutral racker, 14 for 18 on 2nd row balls (77%).

I'm not saying some pros wouldn't cheat if they thought it might help them make a ball 10% more,
I have seen this feathering the head ball thing)
and it looks fishy to me too. If there's a divot where the 1 ball is sitting, you can't get it to stick to the
rack by just feathering it.

But by the same token, a magic rack creates a divot for the balls too.
So If feathering can't get the 1 to leave its crater (to fix a gap) then feathering also can't
get the 2nd row balls to leave their craters (to create a gap). At least not without a lot of blatant fussing.

If y'all still feel the 10 ball rack can be gapped in a helpful way, then please explain what I'm doing wrong,
because so far it isn't doing anything for me, except hurting my chances of making a ball that already goes pretty reliably. Does it help if there's worse equipment or no template?
Even if that's the case, hop on youtube and try to find a recent 10b major without a template.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Revisiting this thread... a few posts back, I was saying 10b with template doesn't need to be gapped,
and someone said that sometimes, you don't know what you don't know.

That's a fair point, so I decided to really test it properly.
Not just by myself, but with 2 guys who break far more consistently than I do.

My initial solo test was to just repeatedly break, but cheat a little for the sake of the experiment.
My stroke isn't laser-straight and I don't always hit the rack dead square,
so I placed the cue ball ~2 feet closer to the rack to ensure I hit exactly where I wanted.
--> https://pad.chalkysticks.com/0258f.png

(this is all on a standard diamond btw, with aramith balls)

It took a few tries to get my aim dialed in, but once I did, I got the 2nd row ball in the side 4x in row.
I didn't even need to hit that hard. Sometimes I made both of them.
So then I tried gapping the rack between the 2nd row balls, which supposedly makes them go easier.

First of all, this is not easy with the magic rack (the black one, I didn't test accu-rack).
Simply feathering the head ball with your fingertip doesn't do it... If you create a small gap,
and lift your finger, the balls fall right back into place. I had to steadily push the head ball
(not spin it gently in place) to create a gap, and getting the gap to stay took several tries.

From that point on, the 2nd row balls did NOT go, the ball on my side hit a bit low.
The other one barely moved, tho if I could break as hard as SVB it'd at least reach the side rail.

"Yeah but that test is BS, you're not breaking from the line"...
ok, so that's why I got some help from guys who don't need to do it from the "ladies tees" :)

All 3 of us played 10 ball for several hours, same conditions (aramiths, pro-cut diamond, magic rack).
I tried my best to hit squarely even though I have to dial my speed back to like 14-15mph to hit accurately.
My buddies hit around 17.5-18 mph. We made sure the rack wasn't tilted.

With no gapping, here's our results for making the 2nd row ball.
I'm trying to be conservative here and not exaggerate:

Andrew (Manning, from AZ forums): 70% success rate
Sanjee: 60% success rate
Me: 55% success rate

We tried a few with the gap between the 2nd row balls. We didn't make the balls once that way.
In Andrew's case, the ball on his side might have gone, but kept getting kissed out by another ball,
and he got the same problem I had in solo testing: the 2nd row ball on the other side barely moved.

To me, it doesn't compute that pros are trying to make a gap in 10 ball. It helps in 9b, I know that.
It doesn't seem to help in 10 ball. And it's SUPER obvious when you try to make a gap with a magic rack.

If a couple of B-players (Fargo 600ish) can make those balls 60-70% of the time
without any cheats, and the pros make them balls 70-80%, that seems to suggest
they are simply doing the same thing we're doing, but more consistently.

You can see that same high success rate even when there's a neutral racker -
Here's SVB vs. Billy Thorpe, neutral racker, and they make the 2nd row balls 9 out of 13 times (70%).
They break dry probably only once.
Here's Filler vs. Shaw, neutral racker, 14 for 18 on 2nd row balls (77%).

I'm not saying some pros wouldn't cheat if they thought it might help them make a ball 10% more,
I have seen this feathering the head ball thing)
and it looks fishy to me too. If there's a divot where the 1 ball is sitting, you can't get it to stick to the
rack by just feathering it.

But by the same token, a magic rack creates a divot for the balls too.
So If feathering can't get the 1 to leave its crater (to fix a gap) then feathering also can't
get the 2nd row balls to leave their craters (to create a gap). At least not without a lot of blatant fussing.

If y'all still feel the 10 ball rack can be gapped in a helpful way, then please explain what I'm doing wrong,
because so far it isn't doing anything for me, except hurting my chances of making a ball that already goes pretty reliably. Does it help if there's worse equipment or no template?
Even if that's the case, hop on youtube and try to find a recent 10b major without a template.

Just asking, have you tried a gap behind the second row? Likely to slug rack the rest of the rack but might change odds on making a ball. Also, hitting high, low, or center on the cue ball?

I usually play ten ball over nine and will be disappointed to find it is wired. Andrew at seventy percent is pretty awesome. I wouldn't gamble with him playing ten ball now. Knock, knock. Who's there?

Hu

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
lol yeah, sorry to Andrew. He still dogs balls occasionally, even if he breaks good :)
(and I say that as someone who dogs balls and breaks kinda badly)

I have not tried making a gap behind the 2nd row. I guess I'll give it a try, but seems
like a sure thing that the balls will come in lower. I think the only reason they reach the side
pockets at all instead of going lower, is they rebound off the back 3 rows as if they were a single, solid mass.

It's definitely 10x harder to drill these balls than it is to make the wing ball in 9 ball.
With a magic rack and no break box, 9-ball = if you can do a medium speed stop shot from 4 feet, you make it 95%.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol yeah, sorry to Andrew. He still dogs balls occasionally, even if he breaks good :)
(and I say that as someone who dogs balls and breaks kinda badly)

I have not tried making a gap behind the 2nd row. I guess I'll give it a try, but seems
like a sure thing that the balls will come in lower. I think the only reason they reach the side
pockets at all instead of going lower, is they rebound off the back 3 rows as if they were a single, solid mass.

It's definitely 10x harder to drill these balls than it is to make the wing ball in 9 ball.
With a magic rack and no break box, 9-ball = if you can do a medium speed stop shot from 4 feet, you make it 95%.

if it happens 95% with the 9-ball on the spot the rack is either tilted or low.. a soft cut break can get the wing ball quite often, but that will seldom fulfill the three balls to kitchen rule.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Yeah I was referring to generic 9b breaking as we scrubs do it =)
Modern 9 ball solves the 95% problem pretty well
with one on the spot/3 point rules.

It actually seems to end up tougher than 10b,
because with 10b you can park the 1 near a pocket frequently,
and control the CB.
Whereas the cut break that seems to work well for
modern 9b rules gives a less predictable result.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
*9 on the spot. Guess I can't edit posts in this ancient app.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PPV link is up at https://roysbasement.com/ $30 for 3 days

This is a must watch for the grudge factor alone
Hope none of them back out at last minute with reasons like pockets too small :D
If this goes ahead, expect more sequels and rematches maybe more than Star Wars

svb orco.JPG

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go shane go !!!

For the most part and almost always, I want U.S. players to win, unless they be a jerk and exhibit poor manners and un professional behavior after a win or loss. Which neither Dennis or Shane are known for doing.

Pool seems to be wide open and gets less of a cheer for the Americans then other sports. games competitions, etc. Every one seems to have their favorites no matter where they are from. But, I like cheering for the U.S. player.

Any one ever see a Philippine fan cheering for any one other then a Philippine player? LOL, heck no! Same thing for Euro players. Come on America, get behind our pool players!

My favorite current players are Shane, Wu, Chang and Alex. But, I want who ever the American is to win. I see a gap between Shane and the rest of the current U.S. players

I expect both will bring their A game and both will make superb shot making and position play look easy. They can both run racks and play position. Like Shane usually says, it depends on who is breaking the best.

Hats off to Dennis for accepting this match, I had the TAR Match between him and Shane and lost it when computer crashed. Dennis took a beat down, but he ain't the same Dennis now. I sincerely wish Shane would return the favor and play Dennis some One Pocket.

I would love to watch it in person, living in Alaska has it's down side on these events.

Last edited: