Mezz united vs standard 5/16x14?

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used the search function, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

So is it universally true that standard 5/16x14 shafts need thread modification to fit mezz united joint butts? And if so, is it a one way process, or from then on, would it still fit on a non-united joint?

It also seems that the united piloted joint shafts are significantly pricier. Is it a generally made effort to spend the extra $50+ to get the united version over a converted 5/16x14? Not sure if this is a corner worth cutting. Felt so much easier when it was just 3/8x10 :p

Thanks in advance!

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, usually standard 5/16x14 thread shaft don't need any modification to fit the mezz united joint butt.

Here are couple examples:
1) I bought a Predator 314/2 shaft with 5/16x14 thread (made for a Mezz cue), it fits perfect with 5/16x14 Joss butt.
2) I bought a Predator Z2 shaft with 5/16x14 thread (from a Jacoby cue), it fits perfect with 5/16x14 Joss butt and Mezz Power break 2 butt with united joint.
3) The standard Joss shaft with 5/16x14 thread didn't fit Mezz Power break 2 butt with united joint, in fact it screw very tight and left a 3-4mm gap.
4) The Balance rite extension with 5/16x14 thread, fit perfect to Mezz Power break 2 butt with united joint.

The united joint shafts are made by Mezz, and they are pricier, for me is no reason to go with united joint, if you can get 5/16x14 joint cheaper.

Hope it helps.

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, usually standard 5/16x14 thread shaft don't need any modification to fit the mezz united joint butt.

Here are couple examples:
1) I bought a Predator 314/2 shaft with 5/16x14 thread (made for a Mezz cue), it fits perfect with 5/16x14 Joss butt.
2) I bought a Predator Z2 shaft with 5/16x14 thread (from a Jacoby cue), it fits perfect with 5/16x14 Joss butt and Mezz Power break 2 butt with united joint.
3) The standard Joss shaft with 5/16x14 thread didn't fit Mezz Power break 2 butt with united joint, in fact it screw very tight and left a 3-4mm gap.
4) The Balance rite extension with 5/16x14 thread, fit perfect to Mezz Power break 2 butt with united joint.

The united joint shafts are made by Mezz, and they are pricier, for me is no reason to go with united joint, if you can get 5/16x14 joint cheaper.

Hope it helps.

Thanks! Helped me a lot.

Here are my additional findings-

1. Mezz united joint is pretty much a 5/16x14 joint with long piloting and quick release top bit on the joint.
2. Mezz united joint butts fit regular and short piloted 5/16x14 shafts. Schon piloted shafts are a bit donut-ey, instead of Mezz's straight piloting, so those don't fit.
3. Schon butts accept mezz united shafts. Feels crisper than native Schon piloting for the same shaft (314-2) to me.
4. Balance-rite extensions accept mezz piloted shafts.

Hope this clears up some stuff for anyone else looking for information on the mezz joint.

golfwisconsin

Registered
Will a Mezz united shaft fit a Jacoby 5/16 x 14 butt? I see that it will fit on a Schon cue which has the same joint type as a Jacoby but just looking to see if anyone has experienced this, thanks.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will a Mezz united shaft fit a Jacoby 5/16 x 14 butt? I see that it will fit on a Schon cue which has the same joint type as a Jacoby but just looking to see if anyone has experienced this, thanks.
I can put a Mezz Ex Pro on a Schon and a Leon Sly butt without a problem. I have also tried it on a Joss once too. I doubt you will have a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
The Mezz UP Shaft Insert also has a squishy stop at the bottom to make things tight.
The pin may be a bit too long to allow full engagement.
If you were to use a tap it could remove enough of the insert to allow the shaft to go that little bit more.

Last edited:

pampi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the diameter of a mezz shaft joint diameter of a 5/16-14???anybody knows?

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've never seen a Jacoby butt, but if there's space for piloting, it most likely will. I haven't come across a 5/16x14 butt that doesn't take United yet.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The first cue at the far right in picture is my Mezz EC7 with a united joint. The other two butts to the left are Jacoby's with 5/16 × 14 joints. My Mezz WX700 shaft screwed on nicely to the point you see in the picture. It feels like I'd have to give the shaft 2 or 3 times more force to screw the WX700 with the united joint the rest of the way to get tight on the Jacoby vs screwing it onto my Mezz butt. I'm definitely not going to attempt screwing the shaft on the rest of the way. If you have a Jacoby butt, try the Jacoby hybrid shaft, it's a great shaft also.

Attachments

• 20171015_104621.jpg
    20171015_104621.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 3,599

golfwisconsin

Registered
Update. I got the shaft the other day from mezz with the United joint. I immediately tried to screw it in to the jacoby butt but like mentioned above it screwed on to a point then became harder to turn. Now I could keep turn but I know that the threads would be damaged since that is the feeling at that point. But with the information above I found a tap, which was not easy to find for some reason. I put the tap in the shaft to create more threads. I then tried again and got to the same point but this time it was tight but felt normal turning but more snug. It went on all the way and perfectly. Hit some balls and my jaw dropped. It feels like a pure one piece cue. Never have I hit anything that fit and felt so perfect. Now that I know this little secret all the shafts I get now will be United on my 5/16x14 butt. Thank u for all who posted and with your information. Love this site.

Last edited:

MalibuMike

Banned
Schon's and Mezz united play awesome together!

I have an Mezz Ex Pro on my blue R14 Schon, And an Ash Deep Impact Bread on my Bocote forearm Schon the fit snugger and more solid the shon's and are straight as arrows with a firmer hit! Schon's and Mezz united play awesome together!

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 2,837
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 2,839
  • 17309272_10154975172033463_7608301522779538307_n (1).jpg
    17309272_10154975172033463_7608301522779538307_n (1).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,843
  • 17352041_10154975174243463_215945914933274430_n.jpg
    17352041_10154975174243463_215945914933274430_n.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,781
  • 17308830_10154975173408463_6702653660215964234_n.jpg
    17308830_10154975173408463_6702653660215964234_n.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,763

blokid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an Mezz Ex Pro on my blue R14 Schon, And an Ash Deep Impact Bread on my Bocote forearm Schon the fit snugger and more solid the shon's and are straight as arrows with a firmer hit! Schon's and Mezz united play awesome together!

Bud,
Why your Schon cues look different at butt cap portion? Or your pic angle? Are they same length of white butt cap?

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first cue at the far right in picture is my Mezz EC7 with a united joint. The other two butts to the left are Jacoby's with 5/16 × 14 joints. My Mezz WX700 shaft screwed on nicely to the point you see in the picture. It feels like I'd have to give the shaft 2 or 3 times more force to screw the WX700 with the united joint the rest of the way to get tight on the Jacoby vs screwing it onto my Mezz butt. I'm definitely not going to attempt screwing the shaft on the rest of the way. If you have a Jacoby butt, try the Jacoby hybrid shaft, it's a great shaft also.

This is true. A "mezz united joint" shaft will not screw right on to a 5/16-14 butt pin. I get the same results as guy above with two schon butts. A joss and a jacoby butt. United joint shaft only goes on as shown in pic.

I have a feeling that guys saying that there "united joint" shafts fit a regular 5/16-14 butt pin actually have 5/16 -14 shaft inserts and not the united They look the same. But are not.

Now a 5/16-14 shaft fits the United but .(it doesn't screwe on tight like a united shaft insert) A united joint shaft is for a united joint but only. Unless u modify the threads on the insert

I'm posting this because I don't want guys to buy a united joint shaft from Mezz and think it's interchangeable with other makers butts as is...like I was led to believe by posters on this forum.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is true. A "mezz united joint" shaft will not screw right on to a 5/16-14 butt pin. I get the same results as guy above with two schon butts. A joss and a jacoby butt. United joint shaft only goes on as shown in pic.

I have a feeling that guys saying that there "united joint" shafts fit a regular 5/16-14 butt pin actually have 5/16 -14 shaft inserts and not the united They look the same. But are not.

Now a 5/16-14 shaft fits the United but .(it doesn't screwe on tight like a united shaft insert) A united joint shaft is for a united joint but only. Unless u modify the threads on the insert

I'm posting this because I don't want guys to buy a united joint shaft from Mezz and think it's interchangeable with other makers butts as is...like I was led to believe by posters on this forum.
My mileage differs. My ex pro shaft does feel snugger towards the end but it was more secure feeling than anything else. It was more like the pin was doing the joining whereas the pilot does that job on a lot of 5/16-14 cues.

If I had a choice to buy a shaft, in either joint, with minimal price difference, I would buy the united. There may be a difference between a true mezz joint on a mezz shaft and a united joint on a 3rd party shaft, like a predator.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If u buy shafting from mezz usa it doesn't matter what joint u pick....all the same price.

BigFish23

Registered
I had a Mezz ZZ cue with a United joint. It came with a WX700.

I tried the WX700 on my Schons, it fit fine. I could feel the resistance when the tip of threaded pin came into contact with the plastic insert at the top of the joint recess, but it screwed in completely.

I also tried various other shafts on the Mezz butt with the United pin. My 314-1 and Schon shafts fit fine. My Jacoby Ultra did not because the bubble for the piloted part of the joint in the shaft was too wide. 314's have a relatively small protrusion there, narrow and flat. The United pin has a smaller recess around it to accommodate the shaft's bubble. The Schon bubbles fit into the United pin, but just barely.

A flat-faced 5/16-14 would work fine on a United pin.

YMMV