The BIG Mezz shaft thread!

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok guys here's a review

I shot with high deflecting shafts for 30 yrs

i have a mezz Axi wavy joint with an Ex pro shaft....and a wx900. And I have a mezz Ec7 with a wx700 and alpha hybrid.

The axi rosewood butt weighs 15 oz

EX-PRO shaft weighs 3.8 oz
The shaft feels great. Its very comfortable and balances well. It haz Zan medium tip. Wich I like...I file mine down with a bastard file a few mm I don't like new tall tips at all. The hit is solid with a pleasing pop sound on contact with ball. I don't notice anything spactacular about draw or english. Very neutral playing. Long straight shots are no problem. Deflection is low. I'm not going to give a measurement but....I can play regular shots in a game with extreme side and not worry about cueball contact. Aim seems natural.

my opinion is this shaft is not worth 420 dollars that mezz usa is charging. The fit and finish is perfect. The grain is tight. But its just not worth the high price. Idk if the construction prevents warp over the non carbon core shafting? maybe it does. But I do not notice the carbon core. When I pick it up it seems like a regular shaft. I'd say the taper is a medium stiff taper. I love it. Just not the price

Wx-900. This is my favorite shaft if I'm on my game. Idk what it weighs. It has soft kamui I had to trim mushroom and file down several times..it's broke in now. This shaft plays great. Sound of hit is almost same as expro shaft. Wood Grain is tight but Has slight runout no big deal. I get more spin and my finess game is on point with this shaft. It took time to get used to skinny 12mm but it's not that bad. This shaft is less forgiving of sloppy stroke. I got more of a nickel radius on the tip because of it.

Idk what people are talking about when they say the conical taper effects there closed bridge. It doesn't. Honestly I don't even notice it. I'm used to conical and stiff tapered shafting tho. Again this is my favorite shaft and it's also the lowest deflection shaft.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now for the ec7 with united joint. The butt weight is 14.3 shipped with no weight bolt. It is more forward weight than the axi Wich I'm used to. (Played steel joint cues for 30 yrs).

WX700 weighs 4.2 oz This shaft has the loosest grain. and a small light sugar mark in the maple. It has kamui soft. Hit is good. Nice pop to the sound. Taper is comfortable. It probably has a longer pro taper than the expro. I don't really notice much difference between it and the Ex-pro tho To be honest. I think I like the Zan tip on the pro shaft better. Deflection is low. Slightly higher deflection than the ex pro .The ferrule is longon this shaft. Plays good and for the money I'd take this shaft over the expro.

ALPHA HYRID. I do not have weight of this shaft. It is threaded for a 5/16-14....it fits united joint butt perfect. Just not as tight or hard to screw on the last few turns. Fits jacoby joss and schon perfect. Little bit of overhang on one of my schon butts. Nothing worth complaining about. It fits the mezz butt dead on like a one peice cue.
The grain is super tight and strait. Litterally a perfect piece of wood. Out of the box I thought this was going to be my favorite but it wasnt. Took me a while to like it. And for the first couple days I did not like it very much. Because I was playing with the wx900 for two months. But my opinion changed over time. This is my second favorite shaft. Probably because I alway played with 12.75 standard wood shafts. And it's comfortable and forgiving. And has LD PROPERTIES to go with it. Its a stiff solid shaft.

Between the 4 shafts they all play great. Just a little different from eachother. I'm most disappointed in the expro mainly just because of the high price. It is super solid tho. And plays really consistant. All the shafts are dead straight. And fit the mezz butts perfect. There are things that I like about each shaft a little better than the others. But honestly they all hit and play about the same with the exception of the wx900. Wich performs best but isn't forgiving at all. The WX700 is a good medium and starting point for the mezz line of shafts. U won't be disappointed if this is the shaft your cue comes with. No need to upgrade To more expensive shaft.

My favorite combo as far as feel and balance is the axi rosewood with the ex-pro. The cue is 18.8 it's a very neutral cue. The axi with the wx 900 feels slightly rear heavy, Or lighter in front.

Fit and finish on mezz is great for price guys. Don't hesitate if your on the fence about buying. I bought from mezz usa no problems

Last edited:

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
20200527_155129.jpg

View attachment 550661

DrewRgnr

Registered
So which one is more flex, HP 2 or Expro some said expro has more flex but others said HP 2 is flexer. I like to play with stiff shaft but still has little flex, and also use soft tip to play so i can put spin without extreme english on it. What's y'all recommendation?

JT4Annapolis

JT in FL now
So which one is more flex, HP 2 or Expro some said expro has more flex but others said HP 2 is flexer. I like to play with stiff shaft but still has little flex, and also use soft tip to play so i can put spin without extreme english on it. What's y'all recommendation?

I shoot with both, I have not measured but the HP2 seems to have a longer pro taper and feels more comfortable to me. I think the expro is more of a hybrid pro/conical. They are both 12.5mm at the tip. Neither has much flex as they are carbon core but with the longer taper on the HP2 it feels more like a standard shaft to me.

NJ1181

I have a Predator Roadline and looking to purchase the WX900 shaft w/ Uni-loc.
Mezz-USA say they have it in stock but can't guarantee proper fitment to the butt.
Does anyone have dimensions or have experience with this shaft mounted on a Roadline?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Now to the Mezz playing shafts:

WX/D700: This is the shaft that most Mezz cues comes with, it has a relatively long taper, regular length Nylon ferrule and a 12.5mm tip diameter.

WX900: The newest Mezz shaft, Short ferrule, long taper and 12mm tip diameter.
Has anyone tried the 'SWS' versions of the wx700 and 900...?

I just noticed these on the mezzusa site and had never heard of a weight system for playing shafts.
weight.jpg

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About the only thing stopping me from ordering a Mezz Ignite is the 12.2 diameter. My cues are all 12.95 or 13 mm..
Maybe someone can show me the light on why I should just make the adjustment to a smaller shaft! The only other minor issue is almost all my cues are .848/.850 at the joint according to my calipers....

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I turned down one of my playing shafts to 12.40mm at the tip to see how it may or may not affect my play. I have to admit I like it more than my 13mm shaft. I do not think dropping to a 12.2 is going to be an issue So the only question left pertains to the joint size of the Mezz Ignite. It is .840 and my playing cue is.850. Once again not a significant difference. Has anyone noticed any effect from adding an .840 shaft to an .850 butt???

jdelcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone tell me (or, better yet, provide gradual measurements) for a Mezz hard maple shaft with "ST taper" and 12.8mm tip? I've got a Mezz hard maple now but it's 13.1mm tip, no logo, several years old.. I'm guessing it ain't the same profile.. I would be very interested to know how 'stiff' these shafts are tapered.

FatKid Slim

Just received a 30" Sigma shaft. (playing cue is a Mezz AXI 185) I can't seem to find any reviews on it so I will do my best to give a comparison to the WX Alpha which is my current playing shaft and the only Mezz shaft I have owned.

FatKid Slim

Just received a 30" Sigma shaft. (playing cue is a Mezz AXI 185) I can't seem to find any reviews on it so I will do my best to give a comparison to the WX Alpha which is my current playing shaft and the only Mezz shaft I have owned.
Sigma review...
I am liking the shaft. The taper and shaft size seem to work well for me. I have a better feel for softer shots. Longer shots with power have less deflection than the WX Alpha but I do miss that solid stiff feel but the trade off for less deflection seems worth it. Going to stay with this shaft for a while and will update in another 50 hours or so.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
After about 15mths of playing with my Exceed. I think I finally nailed the right shaft for me. Keep in mind I was coming from a cheap Falcon/Z2 pairing.

I bought my new player with a wx700 that I played with for a few months. Mostly solo 14.1 (covid) so there wasn't much need to move the CB around the table.

When I transitioned back to rotation games. I struggled with moving the ball around so I pulled the trigger on the wx900. Now this shaft came from an AZB member but was in flawless condition. Also, it was 30" long rather than the 'normal' 29". I really didn't think that extra inch would bother me, but man I was wrong. Regardless I stuck with it, and played fine, but it just didn't "feel" right. ...so back the wx700 I went.

Fast forward a little less then a year and I find myself playing 'ok', but not what I expect. I'm just struggling with comfort at the table. I can move the CB around with the wx700 but it takes more work than it should. Hard to explain. Playing a ball weaker it seems. More weak days then strong ones.

A week ago, I found myself without either player on a given night. For shits and giggles I figured I'd break out the olde' Falcon/Z2 pairing. Two shots in, and I'm in dead stroke. Lights out from everywhere. Just felt right. Yep, despite the quality of the Mezz offerings. I just felt way more comfortable with the Z2 even though I hadn't touched it in nearly a year.

So, what did I do. Started looking at the Z3 with the wavy joint, (not available on MezzUSA anymore). ...and I greenlighted my cue mechanic to chop that extra inch off the wx900 and re-turn that conical taper down to 11.7mm. I played with my newly doctored wx900 for the first time and exclusively this last Saturday at a team 8ball tourney. Loved every moment of it. This smaller diameter wx900 is what I needed.

It could be the "new car smell" of something new in the bag, but there was zero adjustment needed to get into stroke. Only problem is the unicorn nature of my new player.

All those struggling with Mezz shaft when coming from the Z2. Try this, and you can thank me later. :)

Last edited:

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After about 15mths of playing with my Exceed. I think I finally nailed the right shaft for me. Keep in mind I was coming from a cheap Falcon/Z2 pairing.

I bought my new player with a wx700 that I played with for a few months. Mostly solo 14.1 (covid) so there wasn't much need to move the CB around the table.

When I transitioned back to rotation games. I struggled with moving the ball around so I pulled the trigger on the wx900. Now this shaft came from an AZB member but was in flawless condition. Also, it was 30" long rather than the 'normal' 29". I really didn't think that extra inch would bother me, but man I was wrong. Regardless I stuck with it, and played fine, but it just didn't "feel" right. ...so back the wx700 I went.

Fast forward a little less then a year and I find myself playing 'ok', but not what I expect. I'm just struggling with comfort at the table. I can move the CB around with the wx700 but it takes more work than it should. Hard to explain. Playing a ball weaker it seems. More weak days then strong ones.

A week ago, I found myself without either player on a given night. For shits and giggles I figured I'd break out the olde' Falcon/Z2 pairing. Two shots in, and I'm in dead stroke. Lights out from everywhere. Just felt right. Yep, despite the quality of the Mezz offerings. I just felt way more comfortable with the Z2 even though I hadn't touched it in nearly a year.

So, what did I do. Started looking at the Z3 with the wavy joint, (not available on MezzUSA anymore). ...and I greenlighted my cue mechanic to chop that extra inch off the wx900 and re-turn that conical taper down to 11.7mm. I played with my newly doctored wx900 for the first time and exclusively this last Saturday at a team 8ball tourney. Loved every moment of it. This smaller diameter wx900 is what I needed.

It could be the "new car smell" of something new in the bag, but there was zero adjustment needed to get into stroke. Only problem is the unicorn nature of my new player.

All those struggling with Mezz shaft when coming from the Z2. Try this, and you can thank me later. :)
I agree with this, love my wx700 but im having the worst time moving the ball around for nineball. Not all nights just most. Once upon a time i did shoot with a z2/p3. Been thinking about it a lot lol

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I agree with this, love my wx700 but im having the worst time moving the ball around for nineball. Not all nights just most. Once upon a time i did shoot with a z2/p3. Been thinking about it a lot lol
The move to the turned down wx900 was a two part thing for me.
  1. Comfort... From decades of playing with either a snooker cue or the Z2. I just flat out prefer a smallish diameter conical tapered shaft. By most standards, that's what the 900 is. However in my case, it wasn't just quite small enough and the extra length (30") played mind games with me.
  2. Functionality... I could and still can, move the ball fine with the wx700. I just found it takes more effort (cue spd) to do so. My mutilated 900 is now quite unforgiving. Just like the Z2 is. Small diameter shafts aren't for the faint of heart or those with sloppy strokes. It's very easy to get unwanted action on the CB. That said, I personally find it very easy to control the CB to any degree. Whether it be an inch, or around the table. Much like how the PB-G allows me to back off on my break shot spd and concentrate on accuracy. The 11.6mm wx900 allows me control the CB with greater focus on tip position rather than how quickly I need to get through the CB.
In the end, I can play with anything, and did just fine with the wx700. It was the comfort level I experienced when I went back the Z2 for that one night that motovated me to experiment. The 11.6mm wx900 still isn't a Z2, but I honestly don't know how you could possibly get closer. It's definitely close enough that I will not bother hunting for a Z2/Z3 to cobble onto my Exceed player.