CJ Wiley - Got to take a Session , WOW ! The Fundamental Key's

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please clarify. I am not aware of CJ winning either a World 9-ball Championship or a US Open 9-ball Championship. In what year did he win a world championship? Not saying he didn't win one, just saying I don't remember it.

That first year, he managed to crack the top ten in the national rankings. He moved to seventh in 1992, fifth in 1994, and fourth in 1995. Then in December 1995, unhappy with the politics of the men’s pro pool tour, he abruptly quit and a month later started a new one, the Professional CueSports Association (PCA). “I just can’t resist doing things that people say I can’t,” he says. That year he captured first place—and a purse of $88,500, a U.S. record—in the ESPN World Open Billiards Championship; he also won the first-ever PCA tour stop, the Dallas Million-Dollar Challenge, and was eventually named player of the year by Pool and Billiard magazine.

Found this in a pool digest magazine. Just to show what he has done.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...he also won the first-ever PCA tour stop, the Dallas Million-Dollar Challenge...

I have the cue he won that tournament with. Still has the same tip on it. Maybe I will break it out and hit a few balls with it when the pool hall is opened back up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That first year, he managed to crack the top ten in the national rankings. He moved to seventh in 1992, fifth in 1994, and fourth in 1995. Then in December 1995, unhappy with the politics of the men’s pro pool tour, he abruptly quit and a month later started a new one, the Professional CueSports Association (PCA). “I just can’t resist doing things that people say I can’t,” he says. That year he captured first place—and a purse of $88,500, a U.S. record—in the ESPN World Open Billiards Championship; he also won the first-ever PCA tour stop, the Dallas Million-Dollar Challenge, and was eventually named player of the year by Pool and Billiard magazine.

Found this in a pool digest magazine. Just to show what he has done.

Yes, I know all this and more about his career, and saw him play numerous times live. He was an absolute killer, a very rare and special talent.

FYI, he also reached the #1 ranking on the PBT around 1995.

By the way, that ESPN title is not a world championship. It was a win over a solid field, but countless top players stuck with the PBT and wouldn't have been in that field.

World nine ball champions in the 1990's

1990 Strickland
1991 Strickland
1992 Archer
1993 Chao
1994 Okumura
1995 Ortmann
1996 Souquet
1997 Archer
1998 Kunihiko
1999 Reyes

Last edited:

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I'd imagine a knowledgeable viewer of another's game would be able to determine if speed awareness is a hole that needs attention.

In general, is it a worthwhile drill? For some, yes.

I know a very good player who spent about 4 hrs one day just lagging all 15 to the opposite end of the table (no rail contact). I'll be damned if he couldnt get them all within about 3" of end rail after a while. on lsd

You should probably try that.

Oh- I later saw him trying to get action on all 15 close to the rail and he was asking for a diamond's width under- line. so slick.:rolleyes:

What is lsd?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
back on the road, it was cool working with all you Kentucky boys!

I posted a few days ago about getting to meet and play a few racks with the great CJ Wiley . CJ is a real class guy who not only took the time to play a couple of racks with my Son and I but also answered some Questions for us. In watching CJ run thru racks you see indeed why he is a World Champion , His Cue ball control is phenomenal and he seem to have it on a string just following were he wanted it to go , and he was popping balls in like a gun. I was very impressed with his skills , you see them on TV but when you see it in person and up close it really takes it to another level. I asked him about doing a Session with my Son and I and he did just that. CJ is a excellent Teacher and knows how to adapt to your style of learning. I have been around pool for 30 years and in that session I learned things that I never even thought of that has helped me tremendously . Footwork is indeed the key to fundamentally being in the right stance. If your feet is off , your whole body is off . CJ holds the keys to building yourself to becoming that next level player. My Son just started and right off the bat he fixed his stance which helped him to shoot his shots straight and more precise. He also got his stroke to another level and that follow thru , Wow. I also have to admit that playing with a Professional was cool enough in itself. But CJ wants to share with you what he has learned from his days on the road and becoming a World Class Champion of the game. He even stayed longer then he had to talking with us about his road days . If CJ is coming to your area and your are serious about taking your game to the next level then get hooked up with him . I promise you won't regret it and you will learn the Champion way to play. My game has improved a ton and I am just starting back from being away from the game for 20 years. Back in my day , cloth was slow and you had to drive them in , CJ changed my whole approach to the game and showed me the right way . Thank you CJ for all your help , It is Greatly Appreciated. I have a video of CJ working with my Son but it will not let me post it here saying it is invalid video format, Once I figure that out I will post it and you see 1st hand how CJ Fixed his Stroke and follow thru.

I'm glad to have the opportunity to work with you guys and hear about your quick progress. Your son has a lot of talent, I'll show him how to reach his fullest potential asap.

It takes 2-3 weeks for what I showed you to fully digest and become natural - when it does the shotmaking will become easier and more intimidating to your opponents.....you can build your game on that foundation to skyscraper levels!

I have to get back on the road, it was cool working with all you Kentucky players!

We have some house calls to make down south. I'll be back here in 3-4 weeks, keep practicing and we'll go to the next level of development.

Play Well, the Game is the Teacher