The BIG Mezz shaft thread!

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After playing with Mezz for a while now and being fortunate to own all the types of Mezz shafts. I`m going to atempt to sum up my experiences with the different shafts.

I`m going to start with the break shafts.
Mezz makes 3 different ones:
1. Deep Impact
2. Deep Impact Pro R
3. Deep Impact Pro H

The Deep Impact is a stiff tapered Maple shaft with a bakelite ferrule, it comes with the Mezz Sonic tip. Tip diameter is 13mm.
This is a great break shaft, the stiff taper transfers lots of energy to the CB.

The Deep Impact Pro R is a maple shaft with a ash wood core. It has a G10 ferrule and uses the Mezz sonic tip.
The tip diameter is 13mm and the taper is the same as for the Deep Impact shaft.
The ash core makes the shaft slightly heavier than the Deep Impact shaft. Mine weights about 4.4oz while the Deep Impact weights 4.2oz
The shaft is stiffer than the regular Deep Impact and delivers more energy, yet the shaft still has some flex.
The Deep Impact Pro H has a Massaranduba core, other than that it`s excactly the same spec as the Deep Impact Pro R shaft. The Massaranduba wood is much denser, my shaft weights just over 5.3oz!
This shaft does not bend at all when you break, so you get maximum power transfer.

Personally I use a SVB type break and I find the "H" shaft actually a bit too stiff for that type of break, so I prefer the "R" shaft.
If you have a very accurate break and have more of the Johnny Archer type of break, the "H" shaft might work better.
For a novice player, the regular Deep Impact shaft is more than good enough.

Now to the Mezz playing shafts:

All shafts I tested is 30" long and uses the Mezz United Joint.

WX/D700: This is the shaft that most Mezz cues comes with, it has a relatively long taper, regular length Nylon ferrule and a 12.5mm tip diameter. The ones I have owned or played with have all had very nice tight grain and a weight just shy of 4oz.
Mezz cals the front end technology ISS and the shaft is indeed a Low Deflection shaft.
It deflects a little less than a 314/2 shaft, but feels like a solid maple shaft.
I find that this shaft works best with a Soft or Medium hardness tip.

Hybrid Alpha: This is Mezz biggest tip diameter shaft, mine measures excactely 12.8mm and weights almost 4.2oz.
It uses the Mezz Hybrid Carbon Core (HCC) technology. The taper is more conical than the other Mezz shafts.
This shaft is stiff! so I find that a nice Soft tip like Zan works best. For me the shaft is too thick and there is not enough flex in the shaft. The HCC technology transfers energy very efficient, I tend to over run position, especially on draw shot with this shaft.

Hybrid Pro II: Mezz top of the line shaft. 12.5mm tip diameter, weights around 4oz and uses the HCC technology, but the taper is much more comfortable (quite like the WX700) This shaft also works best with a Soft tip. Energy transfer is great due to the HCC technology. The shaft deflects about the same as a 314/2 shaft. A great, but quite stiff shaft.

WX900: The newest Mezz shaft, Short ferrule, long taper and 12mm tip diameter.
Deflection is between Z2 and 314/2, but the shaft has the feel of a solid maple shaft.
This is my favourite Mezz shaft. The weight is around 3.8, 3.9oz
Works well with both Soft and Medium tips.

Looking at the Mezz site, I see most Euro and American players use either WX700 or WX900, while the Hybrid Pro II and Hybrid Alpha seems to be favoured in Asia.
Why this is, I don`t know. Maybe tables in Asia play slower, so they need the increased power from the HCC technology?

Other shafts I have tried includes: Z2, 314/2, i2, i3, OB 1, 2, Classic, Pro, Vikore, Lucasi Hybrid, Tiger Pro, Pro X and regular maple shafts from various cue makers.
These shafts are tested in all kinds of configurations, so it`s harder to make direct comparisons.

All the Mezz shafts are tested on my Mezz and Exceed cues, all with the United joint.
I have tried some of the shafts with the Mezz Wavy joint and I honestly can`t feel much of a difference.

Last edited:

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Amazing write up buddy :thumb up:

WX700 for me with Zan Premium Soft, plays amazing on my hill cue. Great thing id like to add is the wavy thread pattern on the shaft will fit modified 3/8-10 cue pins, at least thats what I've found with my experience.

I aslo have a shane type break so I'll keep your write up about break shafts in mind for the future thanks.

-Drew

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing write up buddy :thumb up:

WX700 for me with Zan Premium Soft, plays amazing on my hill cue. Great thing id like to add is the wavy thread pattern on the shaft will fit modified 3/8-10 cue pins, at least thats what I've found with my experience.

I aslo have a shane type break so I'll keep your write up about break shafts in mind for the future thanks.

-Drew

Thanks :) I'll refine the post with some pictures and exact measurements when I get around to it.
The reason for making this thread was to condense all the information to one place. If google the various Mezz shafts, you get very little information, especially about the two HCC core shafts.
Now that Mezz offers their shafts in almost any joint size, more people owe them selves to try these shafts as they are as good as any other LD cue shaft out there.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks much, appreciate the write up!! I ended up back with a WX700 shaft and love it, have tried everything and every size from Predator, OB, etc. and Mezz wins out for me. OB Classic is a close second...

Also interested in Power Break, nice to see the differences in break shafts, as you mentioned the specs are confusing.

Scott

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WX900 actually made me put my Judd JT-1 away in the closet. The 30" shaft is fitted to a Mezz Z606, united joint. After playing with a nice 30" standard maple shaft(Judd) I thought the transition would take some time. I'm 20 hours in using the WX900 and I'm almost there :) The shaft feels lively, almost like a standard maple shaft but with less squirt(deflection). The taper feels great, kamui clear soft works great. There's a lot of spin in this shaft, but there's also great power for firm stun shots. The year with the standard shaft made me humble and the WX900 gives me more feedback and really upped my game a notch.

Thanks for the great write up Kim!

Robvandam

PooOooL
New Break Cue with New shafting coming this month

main_brown.jpg

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I saw it on Mezz FB page. Seems like the regular Deep Impact shaft, but with the tip/ferrule technology of the Pro shafts.
Not shure what effect that will have, but I imagine the shaft might feel a little stiffer and that you get more feedback.

mattyice

Registered
Just got my Mezz ZZ36 in a couple days ago with the WX700 and am thoroughly enjoying it! I've only played for a little over a couple years now, in which time I went from a standard Cuetec (the Earl Strickland line, I think, back when Earl had his name attached to them) to a Joss with a Z2 shaft (which I still love and am debating whether or not to sell) and now to the Mezz. A buddy of mine got a Mezz sneaky pete and the first hit I took with it, it just felt like something I already owned. Great, great, great feeling. I love the stiffness and the solid feel of the shaft, the United joint provides great butt/shaft contact and alignment, no vibration on impact, and generally I've felt able to do whatever I've wanted to do on the table.

I'm really wondering, though, if I'd like to switch to the WX900. Again, I love my Z2 shaft, and I've played with OB-1, OB-2, and OB-Classic Pro shafts and think I might like the conical taper a little more as well as the smaller tip diameter, and plus I feel like I'm having to compensate a little since the WX700 definitely doesn't reduce deflection/squirt the way my Z2 does. Anyone who has the WX900 and knows what I'm talking about, this seems like the right call, yes? Along with that, is there anywhere to order those shafts outside of Mezz's US website or Seyberts? I've looked pretty damn hard and I'm a billiard supply site vulture, so I doubt it, but I was just curious. Thanks for the great write-up, by the way. I read this thread a few times before I ordered my Mezz (and also before I broke down and joined the forum properly). :)

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got my Mezz ZZ36 in a couple days ago with the WX700 and am thoroughly enjoying it! I've only played for a little over a couple years now, in which time I went from a standard Cuetec (the Earl Strickland line, I think, back when Earl had his name attached to them) to a Joss with a Z2 shaft (which I still love and am debating whether or not to sell) and now to the Mezz. A buddy of mine got a Mezz sneaky pete and the first hit I took with it, it just felt like something I already owned. Great, great, great feeling. I love the stiffness and the solid feel of the shaft, the United joint provides great butt/shaft contact and alignment, no vibration on impact, and generally I've felt able to do whatever I've wanted to do on the table.

I'm really wondering, though, if I'd like to switch to the WX900. Again, I love my Z2 shaft, and I've played with OB-1, OB-2, and OB-Classic Pro shafts and think I might like the conical taper a little more as well as the smaller tip diameter, and plus I feel like I'm having to compensate a little since the WX700 definitely doesn't reduce deflection/squirt the way my Z2 does. Anyone who has the WX900 and knows what I'm talking about, this seems like the right call, yes? Along with that, is there anywhere to order those shafts outside of Mezz's US website or Seyberts? I've looked pretty damn hard and I'm a billiard supply site vulture, so I doubt it, but I was just curious. Thanks for the great write-up, by the way. I read this thread a few times before I ordered my Mezz (and also before I broke down and joined the forum properly). :)

WX900 is in my opinion the best Mezz shaft, with LD properties close to Z2, but with alot nicer feel/feedback. The slight increase from 11.75mm to 12mm does not seem like much, but I notice a big difference between Z2 or i3 and the WX900. I play with a closed grip and 11.75mm shafts makes me have to really sqeeze my fingers together to get a tight loop, the slight increase in diameter takles alot of tension of my fingers.
That`s ofcourse very subjective, it depends of the sie of your hand/fingers, but to me 12mm tip diameter is right in the sweetspot, I have a nice firm loop, but I dont get cramps in my fingers after long sessions as I used to with 11.75mm shaft.

mattyice

Registered
WX900 is in my opinion the best Mezz shaft, with LD properties close to Z2, but with alot nicer feel/feedback. The slight increase from 11.75mm to 12mm does not seem like much, but I notice a big difference between Z2 or i3 and the WX900. I play with a closed grip and 11.75mm shafts makes me have to really sqeeze my fingers together to get a tight loop, the slight increase in diameter takles alot of tension of my fingers.
That`s ofcourse very subjective, it depends of the sie of your hand/fingers, but to me 12mm tip diameter is right in the sweetspot, I have a nice firm loop, but I dont get cramps in my fingers after long sessions as I used to with 11.75mm shaft.

Thanks, Kim. I play with an open bridge, but am trying to incorporate a closed bridge into my game as well. The funny thing is, I wouldn't think that a smaller shaft diameter would matter much since my hands are pretty small, but I always did have a bit of trouble feeling comfortable with my grip on the Z2, so I might find 12mm right in that "sweet spot" you mentioned as well.

Since league is done for a couple months and I'm not playing any tournaments until mid-December, it's actually the perfect time to play around with my new cue, get used to it, and once I'm there see if I do want to make the change. I have a strong feeling I will at some point, but 250 bucks, on top of just dropping a decent amount on my Mezz, means I wouldn't mind holding out a bit if possible. :wink:

porper-sig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Kim. I play with an open bridge, but am trying to incorporate a closed bridge into my game as well. The funny thing is, I wouldn't think that a smaller shaft diameter would matter much since my hands are pretty small, but I always did have a bit of trouble feeling comfortable with my grip on the Z2, so I might find 12mm right in that "sweet spot" you mentioned as well.

Since league is done for a couple months and I'm not playing any tournaments until mid-December, it's actually the perfect time to play around with my new cue, get used to it, and once I'm there see if I do want to make the change. I have a strong feeling I will at some point, but 250 bucks, on top of just dropping a decent amount on my Mezz, means I wouldn't mind holding out a bit if possible. :wink:

If you own a Mezz-Axi, OB has some for that odd wavy pin.. Through J@J ..

Robvandam

PooOooL
I've owned the wx700, wx900 and hp2 for both a wavy joint Mezz as well as a united joint one, which is the joint your zz36 should be using.

One thing to take note of when switching from the 700 to 900 besides the deflection and diameter is also the weight difference between the two shafts, which would alter the balance of your cue.

Secondly also to take note of the stiffness of the shaft, the wx700 is probabaly one of the softest hitting of the Mezz shafts, the wx900 due to the taper is abit more stiff but not as stiff as the hp2.

Techstepper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned the wx700, wx900 and hp2 for both a wavy joint Mezz as well as a united joint one, which is the joint your zz36 should be using.

One thing to take note of when switching from the 700 to 900 besides the deflection and diameter is also the weight difference between the two shafts, which would alter the balance of your cue.

Secondly also to take note of the stiffness of the shaft, the wx700 is probabaly one of the softest hitting of the Mezz shafts, the wx900 due to the taper is abit more stiff but not as stiff as the hp2.

Would you recommend wx900 for a beginner?

Robvandam

PooOooL
Would you recommend wx900 for a beginner?
If its your first cue I'd recommend you get a cue with a more conventional tip diameter of 12.5 or larger.

It's better to develop your overall feel of the game and allows your more options when you choose to transition to other shafts.

The smaller diameter shafts like the wx900 or Z2, often times offer very different hit characteristics and deflection properties that could bias your game one way or another when you're a beginner and would be developing your basics.

I'd personally recommend the wx700 or even the Mezz conventional hard rock maple shaft if you're a beginner and looking to purchase a Mezz.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I just saw that Exceed (Mezz high-end brand) is releasing a cue shaft.
This is all I have for now:
exceedshaft.jpg

Robvandam

PooOooL
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I just saw that Exceed (Mezz high-end brand) is releasing a cue shaft.
This is all I have for now:
exceedshaft.jpg
Yup yup just saw this too here are some details:

Exceed EX-Pro Shaft. Fitted with Zan S+ tip.
Specs;

Tip: Zan S Plus
Tip Diameter: 12.5mm
Ferrule: NX Ferrule
Taper: EX-Pro taper
Shaft Length: 29 inches
Available Joints: United & Wavy

Curious to Know if they will sell these separately or just come stock with the exceeds.

Comparatively here is the specs for the wx900

Tip: Kamui Brown Medium Tip
Tip Diameter: 12 mm
Ferrule: NX Ferrule
Taper: Conical Taper
Joint: Various

And here for the hp2

Tip: Moori III Medium Tip
Tip Diameter: 12.5 mm
Ferrule: X Ferrule
Taper: PRO2
Joint: Various