My experience with 7 carbon shafts so far

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have recently started playing with carbon shafts. Here is my opinion, hopefully it will help some of you out deciding.

Jacoby Black Uniloc - Did not feel as good as the radial. Had more of a ting, similar to the revo sound. Joint diameter was .847 instead of .840 like most your uniloc shafts / joints. That kinda bugged me that the shaft was bigger. Played probably 30-40 racks with this shaft.

Jacoby Black Radial - Felt great, very similar to the cynergy. good hit & sound. I only played a couple racks with this shaft at their booth at the derby.

Cynergy Radial - My favorite at this point. I really like the hit, feel & sound of this shaft. I did change the tip to a G2 soft, but the factory sniper wasn't bad either really. I think I prefer the radial over my uniloc version of this shaft, but marginally. I do like the white ferule also. I have played several hundred racks with this shaft fwiw.

Cynergy Uniloc - Same as what I said about the radial version above. Several hundred racks with this shaft also.

Revo Radial 12.4 - Shoots good, less of the ting sound with this revo compared to the uniloc 12.4 & 12.9 (factory tip) I have played a couple hundred racks with this shaft also. My favorite of the 3 revos i have played with.

Revo Uniloc 12.4 - Shoot good. Kamui soft tip. not to much difference from the radial above. Maybe just a tad more of the ting sound. Maybe a hundred racks with this shaft.

Revo Uniloc 12.9 - Shot ok, Kamui soft tip. I would say this shaft sounded more hollow than the others. Still not a bad shaft by any means, just my least favorite. Couple hundred racks with this shaft.

I hope this helps some of you who are looking to buy these shafts. If you have questions I will try my best to answer. As of now my favorites are both Cuetec Cynergys & the 12.4 predator radial revo. (Not really enough time with the Jacoby radial to have much of an opinion).

Last edited:

juvecoop

Registered
I just sold my 12.4 because of the ting and taper. I test hit with a radial Black shaft over the weekend and fell in love it, taper and no sound. But if the uniloc has a ting to it I’m not sure I’d want it anymore. Was it a prototype still? But I have been debating between the Black or Cynergy.

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just sold my 12.4 because of the ting and taper. I test hit with a radial Black shaft over the weekend and fell in love it, taper and no sound. But if the uniloc has a ting to it I’m not sure I’d want it anymore. Was it a prototype still? But I have been debating between the Black or Cynergy.

It was not a prototype, but it definitely had a ping that reminded me very much of the Revo. Could have something to do with joint being bigger than butt joint. I really don't know. I got a couple opinions from friends that said the same thing..

juvecoop

Registered
Gotcha! I guess that kind of makes sense. Shaft doesn’t have full contact with the butt end. Interesting! Doesn’t make sense why they would make a shaft that didn’t fit accordingly. Thanks for the info. If it’s not flush not sure that’s something I want for my cue

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotcha! I guess that kind of makes sense. Shaft doesn’t have full contact with the butt end. Interesting! Doesn’t make sense why they would make a shaft that didn’t fit accordingly. Thanks for the info. If it’s not flush not sure that’s something I want for my cue

What cue do you have? Most predator & Lucasi unilocs are .840 to .842

juvecoop

Registered
That really blows. I really wanted the Jacoby over the Cynergy but if that’s the case might have no other choice.

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That really blows. I really wanted the Jacoby over the Cynergy but if that’s the case might have no other choice.

I really wanted to like the Uniloc Black also, kinda sucked after the joint didn't line up & the sound I got from it also.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was inquiring about the joint diameter for the radial Jacoby.* The seller contacted Jacoby and forwarded the numbers for all joints.* Uniloc was listed as 0.840.* Maybe you were looking at a prototype.

I understand your issue though.* My Jacoby Ultra radial shaft is 0.847 and that is bigger than my radial cues and bothers me. Maybe Jacoby will make a different size as a custom order.* I have always liked the taper on Jacoby's LD shafts.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was inquiring about the joint diameter for the radial Jacoby.* The seller contacted Jacoby and forwarded the numbers for all joints.* Uniloc was listed as 0.840.* Maybe you were looking at a prototype.

I understand your issue though.* My Jacoby Ultra radial shaft is 0.847 and that is bigger than my radial cues and bothers me. Maybe Jacoby will make a different size as a custom order.* I have always liked the taper on Jacoby's LD shafts.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Mine was not listed as a prototype, it came labeled in clear tube just like the radials. Only difference it was labeled Uniloc instead of radial. I look forward to hearing from others that have or receive this shaft in the Uniloc version

juvecoop

Registered
Mine was not listed as a prototype, it came labeled in clear tube just like the radials. Only difference it was labeled Uniloc instead of radial. I look forward to hearing from others that have or receive this shaft in the Uniloc version
Same here! I'd also like to know why it has that similar sound to a Revo.

SpotOn

Registered
I have recently started playing with carbon shafts. Here is my opinion, hopefully it will help some of you out deciding.

Jacoby Black Uniloc - Did not feel as good as the radial. Had more of a ting, similar to the revo sound. Joint diameter was .847 instead of .840 like most your uniloc shafts / joints. That kinda bugged me that the shaft was bigger. Played probably 30-40 racks with this shaft.

Jacoby Black Radial - Felt great, very similar to the cynergy. good hit & sound. I only played a couple racks with this shaft at their booth at the derby.

Cynergy Radial - My favorite at this point. I really like the hit, feel & sound of this shaft. I did change the tip to a G2 soft, but the factory sniper wasn't bad either really. I think I prefer the radial over my uniloc version of this shaft, but marginally. I do like the white ferule also. I have played several hundred racks with this shaft fwiw.

Cynergy Uniloc - Same as what I said about the radial version above. Several hundred racks with this shaft also.

Revo Radial 12.4 - Shoots good, less of the ting sound with this revo compared to the uniloc 12.4 & 12.9 (factory tip) I have played a couple hundred racks with this shaft also. My favorite of the 3 revos i have played with.

Revo Uniloc 12.4 - Shoot good. Kamui soft tip. not to much difference from the radial above. Maybe just a tad more of the ting sound. Maybe a hundred racks with this shaft.

Revo Uniloc 12.9 - Shot ok, Kamui soft tip. I would say this shaft sounded more hollow than the others. Still not a bad shaft by any means, just my least favorite. Couple hundred racks with this shaft.

I hope this helps some of you who are looking to buy these shafts. If you have questions I will try my best to answer. As of now my favorites are both Cuetec Cynergys & the 12.4 predator radial revo. (Not really enough time with the Jacoby radial to have much of an opinion).

I suspect you will be trying the Meucci and Mezz offerings some time next month or so???

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will probably get some limited time with them at the super billiards expo this coming week.

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member

I just wanted to add to your comments regarding the CF shafts you had the opportunity to play with and ask you if you've had a chance to try the new Meucci CF Pro shaft yet?

I've only had minimal exposure to any of the top CF shafts out there. Hit a few balls with someone else's cue or at a trade show and never could say I liked the feel of any of the most popular shafts. I'm actually on a waiting list for a Revo and also was looking into the Jacobi when I got word about the Meucci CF Pro shaft.

I own a large collection of Meucci's so I thought this would be a good opportunity for me to try their CF technology on some of my favorite cues that unfortunately have a ton of deflection in them.

I ordered a 31' Pro Tapered CF Pro with Medium Kamui and I must say right off the bat that this is by far the best playing shaft I've ever had the pleasure of shooting with. Now I can say it's going to feel and play that way on every cue you try it on because I tried it on about 5 Meucci's that have a similar joint radius as the size I ordered and cue hit well but wasn't until I introduced it a 1980 80-6 Meucci and it was like a match made in heaven.

The balance with the long shaft is extraordinarily comfortable and the extra stroking area of the Meucci Pro taper on a 31' shaft makes for the most pleasurable cueing experience I've every enjoyed in over 30 years of playing pool.

Now as far as the performance of the shaft which is equally as important as to how comfortable the shaft feels, it's a game changer IMO. I recently acquired a few beautiful Tony Guerra cues with very low deflection shafts and I really thought that was a game changer. My game increased 15-20% shooting with a stiffer, very low deflection cue. I guess I just learned to acclimate to a high deflection Meucci shaft after all these years and now that I had something that produced more reliable results I was hooked. The Meucci CF Pro shaft appears to have no deflection and you simply aim and shoot straight and the darn cue ball goes exactly where you hit it, no squirm, no slight roll or tendencies, just as straight as an arrow.

Now when you couple the most comfortable shaft along with dead balls on accurate hitting capabilities I'd say we have a good bingo here.

Here's the best part....I've been on a Seybert's waiting list for months for the Revo shaft and it's 23% higher priced, made in China and because I wanted an odd joint (a Modified 3/8X10, what's so odd about that) I had to wait multiple shipments from China before they get to this order.

From Meucci, I waited less than 3 weeks, shaft was made in the good old USA and I paid 23% less than the Revo or other comparable shafts that take months to order.

I give this shaft a 9-10 only because I don't think any shaft should cost more than $200 tops. That's any wood, ring work, tip, ferrule or manufacturer IMO.

However for the simple fact it's made in the USA, it's the least expensive CF shaft on the market, you can get it in less than a month and Bob will match any ring work for $15 and they'll make it in any pin configuration out there I highly recommend this shaft to any player out there not just Meucci owners.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wanted to add to your comments regarding the CF shafts you had the opportunity to play with and ask you if you've had a chance to try the new Meucci CF Pro shaft yet?

I've only had minimal exposure to any of the top CF shafts out there. Hit a few balls with someone else's cue or at a trade show and never could say I liked the feel of any of the most popular shafts. I'm actually on a waiting list for a Revo and also was looking into the Jacobi when I got word about the Meucci CF Pro shaft.

I own a large collection of Meucci's so I thought this would be a good opportunity for me to try their CF technology on some of my favorite cues that unfortunately have a ton of deflection in them.

I ordered a 31' Pro Tapered CF Pro with Medium Kamui and I must say right off the bat that this is by far the best playing shaft I've ever had the pleasure of shooting with. Now I can say it's going to feel and play that way on every cue you try it on because I tried it on about 5 Meucci's that have a similar joint radius as the size I ordered and cue hit well but wasn't until I introduced it a 1980 80-6 Meucci and it was like a match made in heaven.

The balance with the long shaft is extraordinarily comfortable and the extra stroking area of the Meucci Pro taper on a 31' shaft makes for the most pleasurable cueing experience I've every enjoyed in over 30 years of playing pool.

Now as far as the performance of the shaft which is equally as important as to how comfortable the shaft feels, it's a game changer IMO. I recently acquired a few beautiful Tony Guerra cues with very low deflection shafts and I really thought that was a game changer. My game increased 15-20% shooting with a stiffer, very low deflection cue. I guess I just learned to acclimate to a high deflection Meucci shaft after all these years and now that I had something that produced more reliable results I was hooked. The Meucci CF Pro shaft appears to have no deflection and you simply aim and shoot straight and the darn cue ball goes exactly where you hit it, no squirm, no slight roll or tendencies, just as straight as an arrow.

Now when you couple the most comfortable shaft along with dead balls on accurate hitting capabilities I'd say we have a good bingo here.

Here's the best part....I've been on a Seybert's waiting list for months for the Revo shaft and it's 23% higher priced, made in China and because I wanted an odd joint (a Modified 3/8X10, what's so odd about that) I had to wait multiple shipments from China before they get to this order.

From Meucci, I waited less than 3 weeks, shaft was made in the good old USA and I paid 23% less than the Revo or other comparable shafts that take months to order.

I give this shaft a 9-10 only because I don't think any shaft should cost more than $200 tops. That's any wood, ring work, tip, ferrule or manufacturer IMO.

However for the simple fact it's made in the USA, it's the least expensive CF shaft on the market, you can get it in less than a month and Bob will match any ring work for $15 and they'll make it in any pin configuration out there I highly recommend this shaft to any player out there not just Meucci owners.
Revos are NOT made in China. I asked Predator directly and was told ALL Revos are made in their plant outside Boston. The butts ARE made in China at same factory that makes Lucasi, Universal and Players.

Last edited: