Jacoby Ultra Super Pro 11.8mm

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me start by saying, at 70 years old, I’m decidedly “old school.” I’ve been using solid maple shafts, and compensating accordingly, for over 50 years. Naturally, with all that time, my compensations are largely subconscious. And I’ve been perfectly happy doing that with my cherished Southwest cue.

But I tried a few different carbon fiber shafts other guys at the pool hall have had and started quizzing the guys who use them. As well, watching Shane and others shooting lights out with them. Must be something, right? So I read up on some I didn’t have the opportunity to try and tried those I could. Eventually, I settled on a Pechauer Rogue. I will say, it performed well enough, but it felt dead to me—very little resonance or feel. The more I used it, the more that deadness bothered me. So I got rid of it. Then I bought a Jacoby Black. This shaft, though nearly identical to the Rogue in appearance (same taper, finish, etc), but offered much greater feel. This shaft sounds and resonates like an instrument. I loved it immediately.

I’ve had a nice Schuler cue that’s been sitting around collecting dust because I hate the shaft it came with. I considered getting a Black for it, but didn’t want to invest that much money, and I wasn’t even sure it was available in a Schuler joint. Then I noticed on Billiardwarehouse.com they had a Jacoby Ultra Super Pro with Schuler joint for less than 1/2 the price of a Black. I called the store and spoke to the owner, Greg—a super nice guy!—and he said I could return it if I didn’t like it. Three days later I had it.

The 11.8mm shaft has a conical taper, akin to a billiard shaft, and very similar to the Predator Z3. I was pleased to note it slid through my bridge very comfortably. No issue at all with the comical taper. It’s quite stiff, which I loved, because it’s reminicent of my Southwest shafts. Despite the small diameter, it’s fantastically stable. It has a unique sound that I quickly came to like. It has resonance and feel. I had no trouble at all getting used to the small tip diameter. I loved the precision, actually. But it’s the physical performance of this shaft that blows me away. Something about it instills confidence. It seems to do exactly what I want. I don’t get surprises like excesses of spin I’ve found characteristic of some CF shafts. The most confounding thing is its lack of deflection. I have a standard test I use on all shafts to assess its deflection properties. I put a ball on the far middle diamond of the long rail, and shoot diagonally the length of the table from the corner pocket. I use maximum inside English with a hard stroke. For a normal, solid shaft, I would have to aim full ball, allowing for over 2” of deflection (squirt). It took me half a dozen tries before I realized the Jacoby Ultra Super Pro required no compensation. None! But I kept setting it up and drilled every one without compensation.

Granted, I only have a few hours with this shaft, but I am dazzled. That you could buy two of these for the price of one CF is astounding. Therefore, I can’t recommend it strongly enough. Incredible product.

Reactions: Q77