Sinking an off centered corner hanger?

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This question is about sinking a pocket hanger and getting the cueball back to the general area of center table.The scenario.

The cueball is being shot from around the opposite side corner pocket. Very important. The hanger isn’t in the middle of the pocket but slightly hanging more towards the far rail.

I have no issue getting the cueball off the end rail and positioned if the hanger is centered over the corner pocket or hanging slightly inwards towards the end rail. However if hanging slightly along the side rail then the cueball tends to remain at the same end.

Question, what English is put on the cueball to sink the ball and bring it back up table. Or, do I have to use decent speed to hit the rail first, glance off the object ball, then the far rail, side rail and up table?

Note. I don’t mean an object ball along the far rail but an actual hanger.

There are many instructional videos about sinking hangers but the only ones I i can find are when the hanger is In the center of the pocket. .

Thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This question is about sinking a pocket hanger and getting the cueball back to the general area of center table.The scenario.
Thanks
Dr. Dave has a video on hangers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSltfCgKUtw
Which situation in the video is most like the shot you have a problem with?

Is this the situation you are describing?

CropperCapture[614].png

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In that video those balls are NOT HANGERS!!!!!!

There is about another inch left until they fall in.

Put that ball so far deep in the pocket it almost falls in, those are the problem balls. And then place them in the sides of the pockets. Those are hangers, not the ones in Dr. Dave's videos where the ball has about an inch to spare.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob. Dr Dave's video is good but I don’t see off centred balls.

I don’t have an issue with positioning the cueball after sinking corner pocket hangers that are in the middle.

In your illustration. Bring the cueball to the opposite side pocket From the object ball. . How does one sink the ball and bring the cue ball back to center table? My cueball stays closer to the end rail regardless of whether I hit with a touch of left or right side.. I can really ‘whack’ it in but then at the mercy of wherever the cueball ends up.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i am not an instructor
but i would play it with low left for 2 rails to center...red line
or hi or just right english 3 rails to center blue line
hanger.png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... In your illustration. Bring the cueball to the opposite side pocket From the object ball. . How does one sink the ball and bring the cue ball back to center table? My cueball stays closer to the end rail regardless of whether I hit with a touch of left or right side.. I can really ‘whack’ it in but then at the mercy of wherever the cueball ends up.
Try hitting the ball half ball on the left side (assuming you can hit that much of it) with center right or a little below center to arrive with almost stun. Plenty of right. You shouldn't have to power the shot.

CropperCapture[615].png

In the position shown, you can also hit rail first and you won't have to hit it quite as hard but control is more iffy.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try hitting the ball half ball on the left side (assuming you can hit that much of it) with center right or a little below center to arrive with almost stun. Plenty of right. You shouldn't have to power the shot.

View attachment 553336

In the position shown, you can also hit rail first and you won't have to hit it quite as hard but control is more iffy.

is low left not an option?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You could also go end rail > ob > opposite side rail for more distance with less stroke (and maybe less control).

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You could also go end rail > ob > opposite side rail for more distance with less stroke (and maybe less control).

pj
chgo
That can work and sometimes might be the only shot, but it risks hitting the facing instead of the end rail and you might get a double kiss. Or, if you try to avoid the double kiss, miss the ball entirely. You will have to hit it pretty softly to stop even with the side pockets.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the Input on this. I’ll try the ideas and keep experimenting.

Sometimes the easier shots to pot have fewer options on cueball placement. It’s Easy To lose control of the table by not looking for an alternative or playing a safety.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Thanks for all the Input on this. I’ll try the ideas and keep experimenting.

Sometimes the easier shots to pot have fewer options on cueball placement. It’s Easy To lose control of the table by not looking for an alternative or playing a safety.

Bob's shot line is optimal for that shot--it allows you to play as if the ball/pocket/rail is all a rail--that is, just shoot the correct position shot without worry.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 553336

Yes, been trying this. Best result is a ‘slight‘ hit on the object ball with moderate speed.

Then bringing the object ball out another inch and repeat. There is a ‘fine‘ line between sinking the ball or not when trying to position the cueball. I find a decent result is getting the white about a third up the middle of the table.

Hitting the rail first is good if the ball Is in that sweet zone...not too far in the pocket but also not to far out. East to determine and hit on my on table but more of a risk on an unfamiliar table.