The Miz vs. Toby Sweet.....................

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Toby didn't sneak up on anyone. Everybody knew he was capable of playing lights out pool. I once saw him beat Jim Rempe 11-0 in 1996.

Thanks for sharing.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Toby dogged it a few times...anybody who gambled with him wouldn’t expect that.
...looks like he played better for the $$$.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toby dogged it a few times...anybody who gambled with him wouldn’t expect that.
...looks like he played better for the $$$.
He REALLY dogged it on that last out when he had it won. Undercut that ball BADDDDD.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
He REALLY dogged it on that last out when he had it won. Undercut that ball BADDDDD.

I know him a little bit....that’s the worst thing I ever seen him do...he not only missed...
...he played it wrong....the shot is high right....ease it in slow...9-ball to the other side.
...looked like he changed his mind and put speed on it to get to middle table.

Those tables are GCIs with the original generous pockets.

Had a buddy play that shot on Souquet...7-2 up,,race to nine...rattled it, lost 9-7.
...that’s what I loved about Efren’s game...he could hit a ball slow under heat.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had not seen Toby play before. For the first 15 games or so, he looked tremendous. Too bad that he couldn’t keep it going.

Entertaining match. Thanks for the link.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy thanked Grady for "helping him financially" over the years and they both laughed.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy thanked Grady for "helping him financially" over the years and they both laughed.
Back when Grady, Billy and Buddy were doing the comment. it was great. Love their back-n-forth needling each other.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time watching Toby. I know it's
supposed to be 1996 but how about
that Saturday night fever get-up?
The man is stylin' and profilin!

If he plays that good at 54 he must
have been a fine player.

Don't want to knock the Miz but, it
is amazing to watch a guy that size
and age playing tournaments.

I get tired half way through and my body
hurts. I can't imagine being that size and
playing any semblance of a decent game
after a few hours.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
happens to everyone sometimes

It happens to everyone sometimes. Toby overloaded a bit at the end of the match. Maybe hurting a little, maybe counting chickens, hard to say. For whatever reason, Toby faded a bit, gave Steve the sunshine to finish strong.

However, for the vast majority of the match I saw beautiful play from both players and I think nine ball the way it should be played. Two totally different body styles, a right hander and a lefty, the styles of play were so identical that you wouldn't be able to tell who was running the rack without seeing the players. Got me wanting to hit some balls!

Thanks for posting this great match. I guess I can't resist, both men played super sweet!

Hu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shame that the senior tour devised by Mizerak never got any traction. So many legends were there, and so many of them were living in Florida that the coordination was very manageable Even in this match, you could see Butera playing Ervolino on the next table. Sure would have liked to have been there.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I'm about half way through, Toby is smooth as silk! I never saw him play before.

Some good one liners:

Smoking is only slightly worse for you than marriage.

Toby drove a Jaguar all over the country for 30 years playing 300 and 400 a game, always with a pretty girl on his arm.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Toby Sweet came to SIU Carbondale into Crazy horse Billiards....1967-68 dressed like a hippie in all ways. Never saw em loose, probably on his way to Janscos. He never showed his true speed and never had too. I think he worked the back room at Janscos that yr. So it was probably 67, because I didn't start going to Janscos till 68, and I entered the 14.1 event, and the next yr. I never did any better than 2-2, but it was a special moment in time in my life, being around and hearing all that banter and being in match play with those men. RA was in Dead Chirp. This is where Hubert Cokes took Varner under wing in the late sixties.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toby Sweet came to SIU Carbondale into Crazy horse Billiards....1967-68 dressed like a hippie in all ways. Never saw em loose, probably on his way to Janscos. He never showed his true speed and never had too. I think he worked the back room at Janscos that yr. So it was probably 67, because I didn't start going to Janscos till 68, and I entered the 14.1 event, and the next yr. I never did any better than 2-2, but it was a special moment in time in my life, being around and hearing all that banter and being in match play with those men. RA was in Dead Chirp. This is where Hubert Cokes took Varner under wing in the late sixties.

Did you happen to know Bill Hendricks intercollegiate 14.1 champ from SIU Carbondale in the 60's?