Switching hands due to Parkinson's Disease

Jds.3211

Jds.3211
Hello,

I am a 51 year old right-handed shooter with a right dominant eye. I have had Parkinson's for 12 years. The Parkinson's Primarily effects my right side. Recently my Parkinson's medicine is becoming less effective. This causes muscles in my right shoulder, arm, and hand to tighten, be unable to initiate smooth motion, or to "jerk." It happens intermittently and even when I try to time my medication intake. I have been shooting pool seriously for about 2 years. It can cause me to go from an APA 5-6 Skill Level 8 ball player to a 2-4 level skill player depending on the day and how bad the symptoms are.

I don't want to give up pool, and I don't want people to feel sorry for me or me to feel someone only beat me because of the Parkinsons. I was thinking of trying to learn to shoot left handed on days my right side is not working so well.

Was wondering of anyone else had Parkinson's and how they coped with randomly changing ability, or if they tried shooting opposite handed?

If you tried opposite handed, did you switch your dominant eye or any other issues I should consider before trying?

I've shot a few close shots here and there left-handed when I am too lazy to get the bridge, but they are "can't miss" kind of shots (though they do get missed lol). Other than that, I have never shot opposite handed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

John

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about your Parkinson's. I can't directly answer your question but there have been one or two players who switched handness. John Morra is the most recent. He played right handed with the cue under his left eye originally but he developed shoulder problems and changed to left handed with cue still under the left eye.

Nick Varner for many years has had some shaking in his grip hand. He has not changed hands to my knowledge and I'm not sure what the cause if for his shaking.

Your situation may be different. I'd say pool is probably good for you because it keeps you active and helps you focus on something.

Jds.3211

Jds.3211
Thanks! I'll check out some video on John Morra. Pool has been great! I actually took it up seriously when I had to give up on playing guitar.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Over the years, I developed ability to switch to using my left hand. The more I did it, the easier it became, and the more confidence I had to take on harder shots. Now, I don't give shooting left handed a second thought. I am not aware of "looking at" shots or aiming any differently. My advice, as you may be, or get, tired of hearing, would be to not get frustrated and keep at it. I can assure you, though, in my case adhering to this advice worked. I hope everything works out for you.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While it might feel very weird at first, it may be easier than you think. I was at a fly fishing school. Late the second day my right elbow and shoulder became very sore. I switched to the left. Whoa, I was casting further and more accurately than ever on the right.

The instructor explained that using the off hand you are intellectualizing the movements. Doing what you know works, not the wrong thing through muscle memory on the right.

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick Varner probably has the same thing that a doctor told me that I have and that is Essential Tremors. A few years ago I asked if anyone had any idea what I could do about it since none of the doctors that I had seen were able to help me. It turns out that there isn't a cure for Essential Tremors but, someone on here suggested that I try a longer cue. I thought, why not since everything the doctors told me to try didn't work.

I now shoot with a long cue and even though my arm still shakes since my cue is so long I no longer see the tip move and I am able to shoot pool again. I still can't take practice strokes because of my arm shaking, but I can stay down and line the shot up before shooting.

A longer cue may not help but it is something to thing about giving a try. I put on an 8" extension on the butt and a 4" Balance Rite in the middle between the shaft and the butt. Yep, I now play with a 70" cue, but I am having fun again.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I am a 51 year old right-handed shooter with a right dominant eye. I have had Parkinson's for 12 years. The Parkinson's Primarily effects my right side. Recently my Parkinson's medicine is becoming less effective. This causes muscles in my right shoulder, arm, and hand to tighten, be unable to initiate smooth motion, or to "jerk." It happens intermittently and even when I try to time my medication intake. I have been shooting pool seriously for about 2 years. It can cause me to go from an APA 5-6 Skill Level 8 ball player to a 2-4 level skill player depending on the day and how bad the symptoms are.

I don't want to give up pool, and I don't want people to feel sorry for me or me to feel someone only beat me because of the Parkinsons. I was thinking of trying to learn to shoot left handed on days my right side is not working so well.

Was wondering of anyone else had Parkinson's and how they coped with randomly changing ability, or if they tried shooting opposite handed?

If you tried opposite handed, did you switch your dominant eye or any other issues I should consider before trying?

I've shot a few close shots here and there left-handed when I am too lazy to get the bridge, but they are "can't miss" kind of shots (though they do get missed lol). Other than that, I have never shot opposite handed.

John

hi john
I can't relate to having tremors when I shoot
but when I've played with a more forward/neutrally-balanced cue
the weight stays down on my bridge and I feel like I can't miss
I would definitely try that, if you haven't already

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A great player in our state has a son who developed parkinson or maybe it was ms, but,
his son would use short bridges or a moving tripod that had wheels on it. He continued
to play for about a five year stretch at a pretty good high rate of pool. NO ONE had a
problem with him using these devices and only applauded his efforts.

This allowed him to use his dominant eye and may a shot here and there was effected,
but, I will always give that young man a heck of a thumbs up for doing what he loved.

Jds.3211

Jds.3211
Thank you to everyone for the suggestions! It is really helpful and given me some ideas of things I hadn't thought of. Saw my Neurologist today and he is going to try a new medication as well.

Love this sport and hope to keep playing for years!
John

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

John
How heavy is your cue? A heavier one will be more stable and less affected by your inputs. Worth a try. I applaud your passion and efforts.