another darn 30 something

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Another darn 30 something-(Make that a 41)

Ran 34 Monday night in a match. He needed 5. I needed 36. Came up a little short. I even slopped one in early that I missed by a mile, but it was not to be.

http://vimeo.com/10126425

I beat the same guy in the other league two games Thursday where I am now 11-3 to his 9-5 so I guess it's ok.:D

And here is a 41 from 2 days later:

http://vimeo.com/10146152

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Watching the video now, must have been real hard to shoot with Usher playing in the background....or do i mean the Foreground !!!! sounded real obnoxious..

Deffinatly not 14.1 music!
Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Nice shooting dennis, it appears to me that you werent exactly comfortable shooting in this match.

you played some good patterns, but you seemed as though that you could adjust to the speed of the table.

maybe listening to usher got you all tensed up ! LOL:p

Steve

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
No problem pulling up this video

OMG........ The first thing you did was to catch that ball in the corner pocket...... LOL .... You would of never got away with that in the league that I play in And the table foul. Those guys that I play against would of been jumping up & down.......
Over all Dennis, good job. I enjoyed watching your video. You made one heck of a shot from behind the pack in that 2nd rack. The 6 went off the 13 in the corner. Were you playing it like that?
In that last rack you had a ball on each side of the rack. You chose the ball on the right and tried to get back for better position on the ball on the left for the break shot into the cluster. It looked like you had a slight angle to begin with on the ball on the left to go into the cluster. Sometimes it is best to go ahead and shoot those shots instead of trying to get a better angle b/c many times you will miss that spot. Which is what happened and you were straight on that ball.
You set your self up nicely on each of your break shots. Good job on your 34 ball run. Keep on posting.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
i dont believe that he played that carom shot, because you here dennis appologize after it. but we need to hear that from dennis, because it was his run and his post.

Steve

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
the pockets in that pool hall seem pretty forgiving. Right next to this run I watched a 31 ball run on vimeo, and there two balls fell into the same corner hitting a rail a diamond and diamond and a half from the pocket and still caught the jaw. Good when you are at the table but can be cruel if it is your opponent shooting.

You are brave to hit the balls and do it straight enough. I still miss not so hard shots too often which prevents me from going over 30 this year. For you it's time to work on your basics and step up into 50ies instead of 30ies!

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
New 41 ball run this year

Watching the video now, must have been real hard to shoot with Usher playing in the background....or do i mean the Foreground !!!! sounded real obnoxious..

Deffinatly not 14.1 music!
Steve

The music and noise at Red Shoes can be very distracting. They play a lot of banks and one pocket and there is a lot of very loud woofing going on. The music can be good like old James Brown classics but sometimes not so good.

That is one of the reasons I had my IPod on, listening to some smooth Wes Montgomery.:cool:
The other reason is the guy I was playing plays real slow and I need something to calm me down when I sit in the chair. The game took 3 hours.

OMG........ The first thing you did was to catch that ball in the corner pocket...... LOL .... You would of never got away with that in the league that I play in And the table foul. Those guys that I play against would of been jumping up & down.......

We never call that. In a tournament I wouldn't do it.

Over all Dennis, good job. I enjoyed watching your video. You made one heck of a shot from behind the pack in that 2nd rack. The 6 went off the 13 in the corner. Were you playing it like that?

That was slop. I missed it by a mile.

In that last rack you had a ball on each side of the rack. You chose the ball on the right and tried to get back for better position on the ball on the left for the break shot into the cluster. It looked like you had a slight angle to begin with on the ball on the left to go into the cluster. Sometimes it is best to go ahead and shoot those shots instead of trying to get a better angle b/c many times you will miss that spot. Which is what happened and you were straight on that ball.

I lost track of the ball count and did not think I had to break them up. I was first going to break them up, then thought I only needed three and figured I'd get the one on the left, then the one on the right and then get the 8 straight in. We were going to a percentage of our handicap and I needed 112.

the pockets in that pool hall seem pretty forgiving. Right next to this run I watched a 31 ball run on vimeo, and there two balls fell into the same corner hitting a rail a diamond and diamond and a half from the pocket and still caught the jaw. Good when you are at the table but can be cruel if it is your opponent shooting.

Actually, Mike, the 34 was at Red Shoes and those pockets are not as forgiving as the pockets at the Illinois Billiard Club which is where the 31 was shot.

You are brave to hit the balls and do it straight enough. I still miss not so hard shots too often which prevents me from going over 30 this year. For you it's time to work on your basics and step up into 50ies instead of 30ies!

Well Mike, I stepped into a 41 yesterday, practicing with Smooth Eddie Latimer:

http://vimeo.com/10146152

And I am working on my fundamentals.:grin:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
We were going to a percentage of our handicap and I needed 112.

QUOTE]

How many innings do you base your handicaping system on?

Andy

Not sure what you mean. Our handicap system is not based on innings.

We play two matches a week. When we win both, our target score for next week goes up by 5, lose two and it goes down by 5. At Red Shoes the lowest we let anyone go is to 50. If they lose two they are still at 50.
The highest right now is Ed Latimer going to 205. George Fels and Mike Corbett are180. I was going to 135 last week but lost two and this week I go to 130.

Because the handicaps are so high, when someone gets over 150 we bring his number down to 150 for his next match and bring his opponent's down the same percentage. I was brought down to a 112 because the guy I was playing was a 180.

I started as a 50 about 4 or 5 years ago and worked my way up. We used to have no basement and I remember playing a 30 who ran 15 off my opening break.:angry:

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
the 34 was at Red Shoes and those pockets are not as forgiving as the pockets at the Illinois Billiard Club which is where the 31 was shot.
ah, the tables seemed the similar to me. Even the camera angle (horizon slightly down to the left) :)

Well Mike, I stepped into a 41 yesterday, practicing with Smooth Eddie Latimer
And I am working on my fundamentals.:grin:
Great! Keep it up!

Good you elaborate on the way your handicapping system works. We are considering running a 14.1 tournament, and the skill of players is very different. I will try to figure the details myself and will ask you for more if I'm lost.