Lizard leather wrap feels too rough

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can I have it smoothed out somehow like with sand paper? Or is getting a different wrap my only choice? It’s black if it makes any difference.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sanding it could level out the bumps or roughness, but it may take on a different texture that is not consistent. You may wind up with two sheens of finished look also. But if you are not going to keep it like it is, then trying the sanding can't hurt.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reptile skin is different from the types of mamal skin usually used.
The only way to go is a new wrap.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would try sanding with 1500 grit, re-dye black, spray with a leather conditioner. If you are expecting to re-create a complete smooth wrap this won't work, but it will smooth the feel of the lizard wrap some.

Mario

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some skins are going to be directional and that may be the case with the one you have. While I was working with leather over the last few years I found that to be the case, if it is true to its species.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
some skins are going to be directional and that may be the case with the one you have. While I was working with leather over the last few years I found that to be the case, if it is true to its species.

All and I mean every lizard will have a direction running from head to tail. A wrap made from a transverse section would have direction from side to side. A full back or belly correctly cut and installed would have scale direction going from joint end to butt end of cue. Younger lizards will have smaller scales than older ones. The problem for cues is size. Minimum width for cues is generally 34cm.

There is a superb but labor intensive technique for restoring solid color lizard wraps to new or better than new condition. It involves using Mohawk leather finishing products.