run stoppers

sausage

Banned
screwing up break-balls stops my runs more frequently than any other single factor.

what is your most common run-stopper?

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
screwing up break-balls stops my runs more frequently than any other single factor.

what is your most common run-stopper?

I hate that one, bumping a break ball out of the way by accident gets me more upset than missing an easy shot.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
usually a miss, and it's not the breakball either. I find I get into trouble almost every time I go into clusters, even with an insurance ball. And I lose my ability as a shotmaker, long shots into the far corners terrify me.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
In reply

Well, I guess, I can get into this one b/c it seems like I mess up a lot but the one that really gets me is. I seem to get out of line completely on the ball before the key ball (the 13th ball). That leads to a poor shot on the break ball. Which ends runs or causes poor breaks. All leads to running many, many one rack runs.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm the only player in the world who has a higher run in one pocket than 14.1. I ran 12 playing one pocket and 8's my best playing 14.1. Pretty soon my hight run in banks will eclipse my 14.1 run.

I am serious, what causes me to miss the simpelest easy shots in 14.1 is not being fully commited to the shot I'm shooting, when I see other balls there real close I start to second guess myself and I end up not having my eye on the ball and miss or try and steer the CB. Its a ADD thing I get very distraced playing 14.1-therefore I never play it. I do enjoy sweating it. And racking for good players.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I lose my ability as a shotmaker
for the time being this is my worst enemy too. Sometimes I'm shy of shooting because I'm in doubt about my percentage of making a shot. And if I have to play a shot 7-8 feet away from cb I rely more on feel and luck rather than good aim. As I start to produce consistent runs I might meet other run stoppers on the way, don't know.

i'm the only player in the world who has a higher run in one pocket than 14.1. I ran 12 playing one pocket and 8's my best playing 14.1.
Eric, I think any run in 1P qualifies for straight pool :) You can count it as 12 in 14.1

sausage

Banned
well, i'm glad that i'm not alone. i've been slumped lately. having important things in the back of your mind can cause one to screw up a perfectly good rack. got to go back to rempe's drill.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Backward cut on the break ball

I too am not a fan of long shots which sometimes kill my run, but it's really the backward cut shots on the break shot that do me in. I find myself either preserving or manufacturing a good break ball almost every rack, but if I'm just a little less than parallel with the side rail my confidence and ability decline considerably. I'll even practice those backward cuts before I start recording my progress. I'm definitely more successful if I take a little speed off of the shot. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Fastolfe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it is (in order of importance):

- Break shots where the cueball gets stuck in the rack,
- Assessing, preparing and executing a fantastic shot, with perfect position for a simple shot on the next ball, then messing up said simple shot,
- pocketing a ball, trying to break up a cluster with the cueball, missing the cluster, cueball goes flying around the table and more often than not, scratches,
- pocketing a ball in a tight cluster (after careful positioning), not quite making that 1/2 inch draw I need for position on the ball next to it, making a simple shot a tough one to get position on the next ball,
- pocketing a ball with a shallow angle, using tons of follow to go into the rack or into a cluster, cueball glances on the rack/cluster and follows the object ball in the pocket,

Etc... The list is endless :)

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
backward cut shots on the break shot
yes, practice those shots at different angles. If the angle is too severe normally you can open the stack with a pocket speed stroke. I suggest you place a cb from 1 to 2 balls width to the side of parallel and shoot those cut shots firm without other balls racked, until you get a proper impression of how the cut feels. Then try placing a rack and proceed.
Make sure your aiming works as it should, and that you stike a cb exactly in the spot intended.
You reminded me I miss them periodically also.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lately my runs have been stopped when breakout clusters without a clear plan of where each ball is going...AND....not having good insurance balls.

also, a few runs have been killed going into the back of the stack off the bottom rail.....it always looks like an easy option, but I seem to get buried sometimes.

G.

Hank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is help

I just got a dvd on 14.1 2hours of non stop topics all addressed in this thread.He was the house PRO at AMSTERDAM BILLIARDS N.Y.C. and has been with the best.ROLANDO ARAVENA is his name ##pm me for his TELL# only charges $15.00 for the dvd.He now works at STROKERS POOL HALL,here in FLA.Its by far the best instuctional infor.I've seen to date.This 14.1 game is growing on me,real close to getting to the next level.Thanks to all of you for lighting my fire again.>>HANK<<

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Dvd

I just got a dvd on 14.1 2hours of non stop topics all addressed in this thread.He was the house PRO at AMSTERDAM BILLIARDS N.Y.C. and has been with the best.ROLANDO ARAVENA is his name ##pm me for his TELL# only charges $15.00 for the dvd.He now works at STROKERS POOL HALL,here in FLA.Its by far the best instuctional infor.I've seen to date.This 14.1 game is growing on me,real close to getting to the next level.Thanks to all of you for lighting my fire again.>>HANK<<

Hank: I just sent you a pm

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Someone mentioned shot making ability going out the door in 14.1. I agree 110% with that. With 9-ball more often than not you can play "about" position and still make your run outs. With straight pool, more often than not, you have to be really precise with where you leave the cueball and I think the concentration put into making sure the cueball goes where it needs to go takes your focus off of making the ball. 14.1 is definitely the toughest game out there. I hate it with a passion but love it so much that I can't stop playing it.:p
MULLY

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I too am not a fan of long shots which sometimes kill my run, but it's really the backward cut shots on the break shot that do me in. I find myself either preserving or manufacturing a good break ball almost every rack, but if I'm just a little less than parallel with the side rail my confidence and ability decline considerably. I'll even practice those backward cuts before I start recording my progress. I'm definitely more successful if I take a little speed off of the shot. Any suggestions are appreciated.

This right here is the worst. I know it's a great way to get extra speed on the cue ball and I believe it reduces the chance of the scratch. But these angles are so awkward. I can't aim properly at a pocket I'm only seeing out of the corner of my eye.

I think something worth considering: Everyone has their dominant eye and probably everyone has a better side for breaking from. It might be that for backwards cuts especially, the left works better than the right or vice versa. Try just doing 10 sorta tough ones from each side and see if one side seems more likely to lead to a miss.

Also, one of the best tips I got about break shots in general is to shoot as if the rack isn't there. Shoot it like it's a 9 ball position shot and you need to pop the cue ball to get it move all the way to the other end of the table.