Reload this Page Practicing 6-8 Hours A Day
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Practicing 6-8 Hours A Day
Old
  (#1)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Practicing 6-8 Hours A Day - 11-01-2017, 01:22 PM

When you practice 6-8 hours a day what do you guys work on?

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 English Green

Old
  (#2)
tucson9ball
AzB Silver Member
tucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 175

11-01-2017, 01:26 PM

I would work on shooting myself.....seriously, I can only practice about 45 minutes before I just get tired of looking at the balls.
It's another story if I'm in action, then I can play for 10 hours straight

Chris

Old
  (#3)
mvp
AzB Silver Member
mvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 01:30 PM

I start off with 1-3 racks of 8ball, maybe move a few with my hand to get loose.
Then 3ball rotation
4ball rotation
Then I play 3ball with dollar bill sized cue ball targets and re setup until I complete 5in a row, repeating with a new pattern for a while then the same on 4ball
A few hrs go by
Take a lunch break

8ball ghost a few racks (playing safes)
Set up whatever shots I missed until I can make 5in a row (this could be a break out, safe, or missed ball)

Then I go back to 3-4ball drill, the key is to pick every position area and pocket before you shoot the first ball! No improvising as you go!!!!

Time goes by fast, plus it's challenging!

This will sound weird but I prefer this over playing people anymore!

Old
  (#4)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 02:06 PM

7 ball rotation works of me. Start out with a full 15 ball rack shooting what ever I want and them just throw out 7 balls. I start with BIH sort of in that I don't give myself a gimme but place the cue ball where getting shape is somewhat challenging. If I hook myself I play a safe and then throw balls out until 7 are on the table.

I can do this for up to 1 1/2 hours and by then I am bat shit crazy.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#5)
BobTfromIL
AzB Silver Member
BobTfromIL has a reputation beyond reputeBobTfromIL has a reputation beyond reputeBobTfromIL has a reputation beyond reputeBobTfromIL has a reputation beyond reputeBobTfromIL has a reputation beyond reputeBobTfromIL has a reputation beyond reputeBobTfromIL has a reputation beyond reputeBobTfromIL has a reputation beyond reputeBobTfromIL has a reputation beyond reputeBobTfromIL has a reputation beyond reputeBobTfromIL has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 02:31 PM

6 to 8 hours would be a pretty good week for me. I practise until I start feeling tired then I quit. Bad practise is worse than no practise. Bet I'm not the only old dude that feels this way.

Old
  (#6)
JolietJames
Boot Party Coordinator
JolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 03:03 PM

When I used to play alot my routine consisted of different drills followed by playing the 9 ball ghost.
Took between 1:45 - 3 hrs depending upon how quickly I successfully completed the drills.
No way my shoulder could take 6+ hrs of solo pool.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.

Old
  (#7)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

11-01-2017, 03:14 PM

The following is all done on a super tight table or a normal table with pocket reducers in.

Long shots with big stroke, straight in or with a a small cut, struck hard. Do this to get in stroke an find the pocket. I usually warm up with this almost every time I know I'm gonna be shooting for at least an hour. I normally do this until I feel like Im getting the results I want consistently. If I'm gonna be shooting for a while I will do this a bit longer... maybe for like 30 mins or so.

In a longer session I will move onto continue working on shot making but also getting position on another specific ball. Basically putting an OB out there and another ball to play position on. I dont really have a timeframe for how long I do this. I just do it until I start seeing positive consistent results.

In a shorter session I move on to shooting the 9ball ghost just rack by rack, no sets. If I'm at the poolhall this is on the super tight table. If I'm at home this is with the reducers removed because its a major pain in the ass to attempt to play a game with them in the way and balls do not react properly when you miss and they bounce of of them. I rack and break every rack. Noting where I like to place certain balls in the rack as most tourney around here and when matching up they are rack your own. It's good to know a few good ball placements that will help you string some balls/racks.

If that goes well I move on to playing the 9ball ghost a few sets. Noting dogged shots (not hard shots that were missed, but stupid shit like missing an easy ball or screwing up shape massively).

If at the poolhall I sometimes get into some cheap action to help sharpen up the desire to win a bit more. Having something to lose, other then pride, really helps you raise the bar a bit, or dog it even more. The more matching up you do, the better your chances of not dogging it in the future.

So that's basically it for me. Sometimes I go practice a specific shot that I know I dogged. One that I feel I should make almost every time I get to the table. I'll shoot that ball 100 times in groups of 10 and note my results so I can see if I'm improving on it.

Hope this helps some. See my disclaimer.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Last edited by Icon of Sin; 11-01-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Old
  (#8)
cubswin
Just call me Joe...
cubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 03:17 PM

I'm not trying to make a living at pool, so rarely just practice.

""It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie

Old
  (#9)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 03:56 PM

That's a long time to practice, especially if your not used to it and could actually be counter productive.

Longest I can go, if not playing someone else is about 3 hours.

I play my game of choice for about 3-5 games then switch to a drill I've catered to my faults and do that about 3x, then cycle it again using different drills throughout.

If I see a miss shot come up a few times during game play I'll do a drill to that.

I wish I could play that long. Since having a dog the last three years I have a tough time stringing 3 games together w out a rope or toy being pushed into my leg. Helps me ignore sharking techniques I guess

There is a pocket imprinted on the backside of every object ball.

The rail is your best friend.

Old
  (#10)
goettlicher
AzB Silver Member
goettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 04:04 PM

Mike

I practice 20 minutes a day.

Then I might play for a couple of hours.

randyg

P.B.I.A Master Instructor
2018 Instructor of the year
www.randygpool.com

Old
  (#11)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettlicher View Post
Mike

I practice 20 minutes a day.

Then I might play for a couple of hours.

randyg
Randy,
I knew you and Scott teach that you should play in about 15-20 minute increments because of what you guys perceive to be the concentration factor. Correct?

However, if I practiced for 6-8 hours in two sessions of 3-4 hours, i'd have no problem keeping my concentration.

r/Mike

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 English Green

Old
  (#12)
4scarecrow
AzB Silver Member
4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute4scarecrow has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 04:37 PM

6-8 hours a day??? Wish I had that kind of time!!! My lower back usually tells me that practice is over after about two hours. Although I often ignore it if I’ve got an entertaining cash game going on.

Old
  (#13)
Jason Robichaud
AzB Silver Member
Jason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 04:54 PM

I sit on the couch and pretend my opponent is on a 300 pack.

Old
  (#14)
dearnold
AzB Silver Member
dearnold has a reputation beyond reputedearnold has a reputation beyond reputedearnold has a reputation beyond reputedearnold has a reputation beyond reputedearnold has a reputation beyond reputedearnold has a reputation beyond reputedearnold has a reputation beyond reputedearnold has a reputation beyond reputedearnold has a reputation beyond reputedearnold has a reputation beyond reputedearnold has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-01-2017, 05:41 PM

I would work on dealing with the soul crushing disappointment that comes from realizing that no matter how hard you work, you aren't going to turn world class.

Old
  (#15)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2017, 06:02 PM

Thats a very long time for practice. I cant hold my concentration for drills longer than 45 min to an hour. Take a 10 min. break than maybe another set.

Straight pool I can play alone for a good couple hours at a clip.

Good luck with all that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: