Subscribing to the Billiards Digest

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This month's publication is a tribute to John Schmidt's long sought after record and his achievement. It is an in depth look at the history of high-runs and the stats associated with John's endeavor. As always, I particularly appreciate the "CHRONICLES" by Mike Shamos. It is this kind of reporting that makes the Billiards Digest a real bargain for the price and a must for any billiards enthusiast.

Attachments

• IMG_4082.jpg
    IMG_4082.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yet instead of having a feature photo of him on the cover they have "OMG" :rolleyes:

Its one of the number of reasons I stopped subscribing to them years ago.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I haven't subscribed in a few years but I just re subscribed to Billiards Digest as my Pool & Billiards Magazine subscription is about to run out.

Kevin

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to but they stopped showing up at the expo with the special so I started subscribing to pool and billiards.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I honestly don't know how Pool & Billiard Magazine stays in business as it is only ever a couple of pages thick. Understandably there is not much in the pool world to report on on a monthly basis anymore so I can see their dilemma. I am hoping that Billiards Digest is somewhat better in content. I had subscribed to both magazines for about 15-20 years so I have lots of back issues to peruse through.

Sure wish both the men and women would have the tour stops they had in years past so as the magazines would have more to report on. Hoping for a comeback of some sort for sure.

Kevin

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a vested interest, but I think it is a good idea to subscribe to both. They record the history of billiards in the US in a permanent way (paper). Electrons seem to evaporate. In the past ten years we have seen Inside Pool, Prof. QBall, and TheBreak/Stroke/Rack'Em go away and Cue Sports Journal fail to restart.

In the next ten years I'm afraid we'll get down to zero.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yet instead of having a feature photo of him on the cover they have "OMG" :rolleyes:

Some amateur team won $100,000. $16k a piece. Omg, thats $16k more than John got for his run :lol:

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This month's publication is a tribute to John Schmidt's long sought after record and his achievement. It is an in depth look at the history of high-runs and the stats associated with John's endeavor. As always, I particularly appreciate the "CHRONICLES" by Mike Shamos. It is this kind of reporting that makes the Billiards Digest a real bargain for the price and a must for any billiards enthusiast.

I just subscribed today. Thank you for the info. I had a subscription in the early 1990's. I also subscribed to Pool and Billiard magazine.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yet you still have access to the latest edition and enough interest in the publication to the point where you would comment on what the publisher decided to be the cover story?

Please, do us all a favor - end the nonsense.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only pay $20 for a year subscription so I don’t have high expectations lol

I honestly don't know how Pool & Billiard Magazine stays in business as it is only ever a couple of pages thick. Understandably there is not much in the pool world to report on on a monthly basis anymore so I can see their dilemma. I am hoping that Billiards Digest is somewhat better in content. I had subscribed to both magazines for about 15-20 years so I have lots of back issues to peruse through.

Sure wish both the men and women would have the tour stops they had in years past so as the magazines would have more to report on. Hoping for a comeback of some sort for sure.

Kevin

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yet you still have access to the latest edition and enough interest in the publication to the point where you would comment on what the publisher decided to be the cover story?

Please, do us all a favor - end the nonsense.

Nah, I was going off their usual sh!tty website.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Joe, the OMG cover is for the July issue. That issue does have a couple of articles (a 1-pager and a 2-pager) on Schmidt's record run.

But it's the August issue Paul is talking about, with (1) an 8-page article (by Publisher Mike Panozzo) on the run, (2) a 4-page article (by Mike Shamos) on high runs, and (3) John's picture (see post #1 above) on the cover.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a longtime subscriber to Billiard Digest. I look forward to every new issue that provides current information about the Billiards Industry, the Pro Game, instruction, history of the game and anything else related to Billiards.

It is a good break to pull that IPad away from my face and relax with a magazine.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have bought a lot of BDs over the years....starting in ‘78.
...don’t think I’ve ever subscribed.
...used to be able to get it in a major bookstore up here.
..any. Pool hall that stocks it gets my action.

Subscribing on-line would be nice.