Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Is Shaw's game different?
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Is Shaw's game different?
Old
  (#1)
Jason Robichaud
AzB Silver Member
Jason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond reputeJason Robichaud has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Is Shaw's game different? - 10-29-2017, 01:05 PM

After reading various post about how well Shaw was playing at the US Open, I'm curious - what is he doing differently? A few players over the years reach invincibility. Mika, Shane, and now Shaw seems to be a force. Their game doesn't look any different but the records show otherwise.

Old
  (#2)
billiardthought
Anti-intellectualism
billiardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond repute

10-29-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robichaud View Post
After reading various post about how well Shaw was playing at the US Open, I'm curious - what is he doing differently? A few players over the years reach invincibility. Mika, Shane, and now Shaw seems to be a force. Their game doesn't look any different but the records show otherwise.
Shaw settles for whatever position he can get and continues shooting balls like it’s a practice table. When other plays get a little long or a little funny you can visibly see them prepare for the upcoming difficult shot. Shaw shoots those long ones or the shots with inside english three rail position all the same. He doesn’t just come up with the big shots, he shoots them without hesitation or doubt.

The beatings will continue until volunteering improves

Old
  (#3)
vapoolplayer
AzB Silver Member
vapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond repute

10-29-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robichaud View Post
From what I see, certain players do something better than everyone for a period of time. They all play extremely well all around, but something stands out.

SVB has probably the best cue ball control I’ve ever seen. Yes, guys like Efren could do crazy things with the cue, but SVB rarely gets out of line and needs to do anything crazy. He gets close to perfect shape, not close.....perfect on a vast majority of his shots. Enough so that he stands out.

Shaw is probably the straightest shooting out there currently when it comes to pocketing. Of course everyone at that level is good at pocketing, but his stands out when you watch him. I took a several year hiatus from playing or watching pool. When I started again, I looked for SVB since he was on the rise when I tuned out. I found videos of him and stumbled onto him playing Shaw. I immediately looked for more videos of Shaw because he absolutely stood out.

Those things are what separates them I think. When you can look at players live or on video until a few obviously stand out for whatever reason. They stand out for that particular reason/s and that strength is what let’s them beat fields of tough world class players for as long as they can keep it up.

Old
  (#4)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

10-29-2017, 01:39 PM

Right now nobody in the game has the executive levels of fire power that Shaw exhibits.

If he makes balls on the break and can see the next object ball, its all over. People talk about talent and Shaw exemplifies the paradigm.

I think he plays Nine Ball the way its supposed to be played. Fast and loose. Frankly its exciting to watch.

In every era there are certain players that rise to the top of the heap. This is one of those times.

Shaw plays like William Wallace fought, with a brave heart.

Last edited by overlord; 10-29-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Old
  (#5)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

10-29-2017, 01:53 PM

He's got his head in the right place. He believes in himself. Doubt has been the fall of many a player.

Old
  (#6)
LHP5
AzB Silver Member
LHP5 has a reputation beyond reputeLHP5 has a reputation beyond reputeLHP5 has a reputation beyond reputeLHP5 has a reputation beyond reputeLHP5 has a reputation beyond reputeLHP5 has a reputation beyond reputeLHP5 has a reputation beyond reputeLHP5 has a reputation beyond reputeLHP5 has a reputation beyond reputeLHP5 has a reputation beyond reputeLHP5 has a reputation beyond repute

10-29-2017, 02:01 PM

Corey Deuel commented on one of his streamed matches this past open. He said something along the lines of “Shaw’s average distance from ball to ball is probably longer than most other pros”. It was something to that effect and is probably true. Personally, I don’t think that’s a style that will age well, but Shaw seems to be a special talent. Earl Strickland was the same when it came to pocketing balls and his game where it is now is miles from his peak.

We’ll have to wait and see how long Shaw will stay on top.

Pressure makes diamonds. Fire refines gold.

Play it like you mean it.

Playing Cue: Predator Ikon 2-5, P2
Break Cue: Mezz PBII
Jump Cue: Gulyassy Reaper
Case: Instroke

Old
  (#7)
gxman
AzB Silver Member
gxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond repute

10-29-2017, 02:06 PM

For the 10b game, he really got the break figured out in the last couple of years. It is much improved from the time he lost to Shane and Bergman.

Old
  (#8)
Get_A_Grip
Truth Will Set You Free
Get_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 562

10-29-2017, 02:23 PM

Mark Wilson had a good read on Jayson's play. He said that Jayson is the one player that is fine with getting position routinely about 2 feet further further away from the object ball than any other player.

If your shot-making is the same as all other players (very good), but from a much further distance, while still maintaining the same cue ball control, that IMO is his huge advantage.

I wouldn't downplay his cue ball control at all either. When he needs to come with a very precise cue ball, he delivers more often than not.

His ability to spear in shots from a long distance with all types of english is second to none.

"The truth will set you free, after you've been beaten over the head with it until you accept it."

He likes room...
Old
  (#9)
Ak Guy
AzB Silver Member
Ak Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond repute

He likes room... - 10-29-2017, 03:20 PM

I am sure I saw an interview on You Tube where Shaw said he liked 10 foot tables as they give him room to move the cue ball around. I bet he does.

I am really hoping him and Shane match up on a 10' table for best 2 out of 3 sets in a race to 25. Winner breaks of course, a real shoot out. That or a race to 100.

Last edited by Ak Guy; 10-29-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Old
  (#10)
gxman
AzB Silver Member
gxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond repute

10-29-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Guy View Post
I am sure I saw an interview on You Tube where Shaw said he liked 10: tables as they give him room to move the cue ball around. I bet he does.

I am really hoping him and Shane match up on a 10' table for best 2 out of 3 sets in a race to 25. Winner breaks of course, a real shoot out. That or a race to 100.
Early in the year in an interview with Shaw, he said there was a 100K match setup with him and JL Chang to be played in Houston(I think) that got cancelled. It was b/c JL Chang and Kevin Cheng had to cancelled their trip to the US.

According to Oscar, JL Chang beat Shane bad gambling in China. So JL Chang is not afraid to play some.

Old
  (#11)
The-Professor
AzB Silver Member
The-Professor has a reputation beyond reputeThe-Professor has a reputation beyond reputeThe-Professor has a reputation beyond reputeThe-Professor has a reputation beyond reputeThe-Professor has a reputation beyond reputeThe-Professor has a reputation beyond reputeThe-Professor has a reputation beyond reputeThe-Professor has a reputation beyond reputeThe-Professor has a reputation beyond reputeThe-Professor has a reputation beyond reputeThe-Professor has a reputation beyond repute

10-29-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxman View Post
Early in the year in an interview with Shaw, he said there was a 100K match setup with him and JL Chang to be played in Houston(I think) that got cancelled. It was b/c JL Chang and Kevin Cheng had to cancelled their trip to the US.

According to Oscar, JL Chang beat Shane bad gambling in China. So JL Chang is not afraid to play some.
Jason Shaw plays amazing and had a wonderful US Open, but he is an underdog to JL Chang in a long race of 9/10 ball.

Old
  (#12)
Nick B
This is gonna hurt
Nick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-29-2017, 04:13 PM

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with most of you. His improved results comes from a couple of basic things. Lets call him JS2017 (vs JS2013).

JS2017 doesn't:
1. Miss as many easy balls. In the past he would not give some simple shots much respect and as such would miss more "simple" shots than his peers.
2. He has slowed down just a fraction. This improves issue above and gives him a sense of calm allowing him to make better decisions. Maybe not the kind of shots that say a Jeremy Jones would shoot but better decisions for Jayson.

Remember the meltdown at the 14.1 tourney with Earl. I'm not sure that would have gone down the same way today. About five years ago I had dinner with Jayson, Mike Dechaine and Justin Collett (during a TAR event) and made the statement that I was eating with future US Open champions. Maybe Mike will make me a genius one day.

Cue: Foster, Break/Jump: Foster
http://www.fostercues.com/
Name: Nick Beretanos

Old
  (#13)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

10-29-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with most of you. His improved results comes from a couple of basic things. Lets call him JS2017 (vs JS2013).

JS2017 doesn't:
1. Miss as many easy balls. In the past he would not give some simple shots much respect and as such would miss more "simple" shots than his peers.
2. He has slowed down just a fraction. This improves issue above and gives him a sense of calm allowing him to make better decisions. Maybe not the kind of shots that say a Jeremy Jones would shoot but better decisions for Jayson.

Remember the meltdown at the 14.1 tourney with Earl. I'm not sure that would have gone down the same way today. About five years ago I had dinner with Jayson, Mike Dechaine and Justin Collett (during a TAR event) and made the statement that I was eating with future US Open champions. Maybe Mike will make me a genius one day.
Agree with all except Mike D winning an open, could happen but it would be an upset for sure.

To the other poster - you have action if he plays Chang JL
Jason

Old
  (#14)
poolhustler
AzB Silver Member
poolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3500

10-29-2017, 05:40 PM

when I first started watching JS play he sold out more often and rarely played a good safe. now he plays smarter, plays safes more often and doesn't sell out. he makes hard shots like they are hangers. world class

Old
  (#15)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

10-29-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
About five years ago I had dinner with Jayson, Mike Dechaine and Justin Collett (during a TAR event) and made the statement that I was eating with future US Open champions.
I don't think Justin's chances of winning the U.S. Open are very good.

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: