Pause question

Bcpatton

Registered
Hi, I've been viewing this forum for a long time and it has been very helpful to my game. I wanted to say thanks. I have searched to find this answer but it may be more specific to me.

I have attempted to change my routine to add a pause and am failing miserably. My current routine is to line up my shot, step in on that line, pause, three practice strokes and go. My issue is that I never pause after the practice strokes I just fire away. I am very accurate doing this, even on the triple shim 9 ft diamond at the local room. I don't see any pro using this routine which bothers me, making me think that I will only get so far with this technique.

I have worked to learn spf but the pause causes all kinds of flaws in my stroke where just continuing the final stroke keeps me in line and accurate. Please if anyone has experience dealing with this I would appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Brent

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brent, is there any chance you can post a link to a video of yourself shooting? It's really the best way to analyze your game. I'm curious to see all the things that go wrong with your stroke when you pause.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Hi, I've been viewing this forum for a long time and it has been very helpful to my game. I wanted to say thanks. I have searched to find this answer but it may be more specific to me.

I have attempted to change my routine to add a pause and am failing miserably. My current routine is to line up my shot, step in on that line, pause, three practice strokes and go. My issue is that I never pause after the practice strokes I just fire away. I am very accurate doing this, even on the triple shim 9 ft diamond at the local room. I don't see any pro using this routine which bothers me, making me think that I will only get so far with this technique.

I have worked to learn spf but the pause causes all kinds of flaws in my stroke where just continuing the final stroke keeps me in line and accurate. Please if anyone has experience dealing with this I would appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Brent

Hi Brent

What SPF Instructor are you working with?

randyg

Bcpatton

Registered
Honestly I don't have anyone in my area, I read a lot and work with the better players in my area. I would be willing to work with someone if possible. I will attempt to get some video's posted but it may take some time. I did set up a diagonal long shot and was consistantly putting left on the ball with the pause. I am right handed and do have a slight elbow drop which I am attempting to remove.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly I don't have anyone in my area, I read a lot and work with the better players in my area. I would be willing to work with someone if possible. I will attempt to get some video's posted but it may take some time. I did set up a diagonal long shot and was consistantly putting left on the ball with the pause. I am right handed and do have a slight elbow drop which I am attempting to remove.

Please do post a video if you can. I know I will be able to help you but I want to see what's going on with your stroke.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
BC, when you say you are "very accurate" using this strategy....how would you define accurate?

Bcpatton

Registered
Accurate would be able to deliver the cue ball where I intend. I can hit my contact points much better with very little to no unwanted spin. It's like I take good practice strokes and then just take a good practice stroke with a finish.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several pros sort of "launch" into their final stroke with little to no discernible pause. So I wouldn't worry too much about that as long as everything is smooth. Seems like your eye patterns might be hard to keep consistent if everything is constantly in motion after your initial pause, but as Fran says would need to see it.

Take a quick video and upload to Youtube and link here, I would take Fran up on her offer to review it, she's awesome...
Scott

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

SPF is hands on only. Reading something doesn't quite fit the bill for most people.

randyg

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.it just depends on how badly you want it......and such is life

Thanks,

Brent

I have always used the "no practice stroke" drill .... it's sometimes painful but exaggerating what you want to change will always speed up the process. I've made some instrumental changes in my own game this way and it works with students without fail....it just depends on how badly you want it......and such is life it seems. ;)

The process will generally take three weeks, and I'll be glad to help if I can as a contribution to your Game. PM me and I can give you a free code to a video that will certainly get you on the right track asap.

Play Well

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started working on my eye pattern recently, and developed a slight pause in the process. What I do is after I'm in my set position, and begin the final backswing. I'll focus my eyes on the shaft, from the tip to my bridge hand, and watch it as I pull back. I think this helps me notice any flaws and to make sure I'm pulling the cue back straight.

The pause occurs from the end of the backswing to the moment I look up at the object ball. All together, I'd say it's between 1 and 2 seconds.

Bcpatton

Registered
Thanks guys for all the advice, I should have some videos either today or tomorrow. I live in southern ohio Scott. Cj Pm sent. I am trying to learn all that I can and simplify my stroke. I have so many moving parts that I have to play every day to play well.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Length of the pause makes a difference IMO. You can pause too long and get stagnant. Golf and billiards demand different skill sets for high-level play as opposed to reacting to a ball already set in motion.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Length of the pause makes a difference IMO. You can pause too long and get stagnant. Golf and billiards demand different skill sets for high-level play as opposed to reacting to a ball already set in motion.

Matt, no doubt that some people would suffer from an extended "Pause".
Just as some people suffer from a poor "Pause".

randyg

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pause

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

You say that you shoot accurately on a triple shimmed table without a pause. I don't think the pause is what is holding your game back. I think you would have to meet up with an instructor to analyze your game to see what you might need to change.

If you have no problem pocketing balls cleanly on a triple shim and you have a good routine, straight stroke and followthrough then the pause isn't what needs evaluated.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

You say that you shoot accurately on a triple shimmed table without a pause. I don't think the pause is what is holding your game back. I think you would have to meet up with an instructor to analyze your game to see what you might need to change.

If you have no problem pocketing balls cleanly on a triple shim and you have a good routine, straight stroke and followthrough then the pause isn't what needs evaluated.

AMEN!

randyg