Fargo rant

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you play apa MVP or may be familiar with apa handicaps and I can give you some comparisons of apa level vs Fargo rate of several apa players in our area who also play usapl every week. Left out some sandbaggers .

Apa 3 ...fargo 339

Apa 4...fargo 390

Apa 5... Fargo 435

Apa 5/6 Fargo 467 that's me

Apa 6....fargo 506

Apa 7/8 ..fargo 575

Apa 7/9...fargo 610

One of our better short stop's I guess you can call him. He has a full time job and does not play in a whole lot of tournaments that I know of ..fargo 736

That actually sounds pretty accurate.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm fairly sure that league player Fargo rates vary from region to region quite a bit. I'm from Alberta and in both Edmonton and Calgary there are a decent number of league players ranging from the high-600s to the 730 range.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm fairly sure that league player Fargo rates vary from region to region quite a bit. I'm from Alberta and in both Edmonton and Calgary there are a decent number of league players ranging from the high-600s to the 730 range.

The few players around here that are rated that high dont play in amy league.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There’s only 33 players in all of Canada over 700. Perhaps people aren’t being accurate regarding actual Fargo Rating unless you see them in this list...

ee8a6421ff1b4c9f2887be1d9b3a1a1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s only 33 players in all of Canada over 700. Perhaps people aren’t being accurate regarding actual Fargo Rating unless you see them in this list...

But read the fine print on the criteria for inclusion in that chart. It's very possible that there are lots more unestablished league players in the 700s.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But read the fine print on the criteria for inclusion in that chart. It's very possible that there are lots more unestablished league players in the 700s.

Is that the real topic not being discussed? How much stock should tournament directors put in unestablished ratings? FargoRating does tell you the robustness.

I wonder if Mike Page can comment on the prevalence of unestablished ratings getting that high. I assumed it would take a while to climb to 700s from a starter rating no matter who you played.

optician

best one pocket in philly
Silver Member
no i asked mark griffin to call fargo he said it was a back pocket tournament, thats the only thing i played in, i think i beat a good 9 ball player but not a good backpocket player

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ee8a6421ff1b4c9f2887be1d9b3a1a1a.jpg

Yup, the people you see in the list from Alberta are exactly who I was talking about. In particular: Stephen Holem, Ben Francis, Erik Vargas, Russ Whittle, Rob Phillips, Joe Spence, Brian Butler, Carlos Barbosa, Sean McKay, Garry Hauck, Jerry Young....and that's just the first column. The players in the 2nd column are also mostly league players in Alberta. My rating is currently 674 but I don't have enough matches in to be on that list as well.

optician

best one pocket in philly
Silver Member
they lowered me after mark griffin called /i think race to 13 in 9 ball probley 13-5

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fargo LMFAO

Better than any other way to rate players out there. As long as results are actually added to the system I'd trust it over anything else if I have not seen the player play before. Most league rankings are not worth anything and 50% of the tour ratings are the same way. The only way to have players ranked properly is statistics over several tournaments that are not handicapped.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Most league rankings are not worth anything and 50% of the tour ratings are the same way. The only way to have players ranked properly is statistics over several tournaments that are not handicapped.

I agree with this. I am an APA SL6/7 in my area and there is not one SL7 in the division I play in.

IMO, I feel as though I wouldn't stand a chance of beating APA players my own skill level that are from different regions of the country.

Over the many years I have played in the APA, I have seen enough scoresheet abuse/manipulation to realize that there are a LOT of players not rated correctly. I've even had players admit to me that they have sandbagged or have had the LO "adjust" their handicap for them.

Fargo isn't perfect, but it's probably the best system in place until something better comes along.

Maniac

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
they lowered me after mark griffin called /i think race to 13 in 9 ball probley 13-5
I found your rating. It is 679 with a robustness of 20 games. Also for comparison is Matt Krah's rating, who is the most nationally active player in the Philly area. He goes to every single local, regional, and national level tournament.

What do you think the score would be between you and Matt in 9 ball in a race to 13?

****Fixed ^^^^ that for you.***** (Sort of)

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better than any other way to rate players out there. As long as results are actually added to the system I'd trust it over anything else if I have not seen the player play before. Most league rankings are not worth anything and 50% of the tour ratings are the same way. The only way to have players ranked properly is statistics over several tournaments that are not handicapped.

I think fargorate is a good system, probably the best there is. However like I said in another thread a while back, if your not a top pro and traveling all the time or a league player who get games entered every week you will be lucky to get enough games in the system to be established in 30 years. For example I know a player who has finished top 10 in DCC 9 ball who still doesn't have an established rating.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think fargorate is a good system, probably the best there is. However like I said in another thread a while back, if your not a top pro and traveling all the time or a league player who get games entered every week you will be lucky to get enough games in the system to be established in 30 years. For example I know a player who has finished top 10 in DCC 9 ball who still doesn't have an established rating.

I believe they're working on software to run tournaments and get the data entered into FargoRatings automatically. It shouldn't take long to get established if you're playing in tournaments that enter the system.

If you do decently in a good-sized tournament, you're playing, say, 6 matches. If it's a race to 7, you're playing about 12 games per match, 12x6 = 72. So play in three like that and you're established.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All you need to be to get a good Fargo rating is to be honest about your ability. If you play with a bunch of players, or even one, that has a solid Fargo rating, and you see what they can do, compare it to what you can do. Then say "I'm same speed as that guy". Issue is that there are maybe 10 honest pool players in the country, especially in leagues. Last tournament I played one of the players asked "Why would you want to have a higher rating?" like it was a bad thing to play good and actually have it be known that you can play good. That is what handicapping does to many players, instead of them trying to play good, they just want to play good enough to beat someone, fair game or not.

I think too many players play for the wrong reason, to win. I don't play to win, I play to play my best. If I happen to beat other players doing that, yay for me.

drlouis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think too many players play for the wrong reason, to win. I don't play to win, I play to play my best. If I happen to beat other players doing that, yay for me.
This ^^

I used to play chess online and never understood the guys who would use their computer to select moves. I know my computer can beat you at chess, what's the fun in watching it beat you?

To me one ought to play to improve.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This ^^

I used to play chess online and never understood the guys who would use their computer to select moves. I know my computer can beat you at chess, what's the fun in watching it beat you?

To me one ought to play to improve.

Yep, I never got the team/player celebrating wins because the other person messed up either. There was one match I remember that the player won because the other player scratched twice when making the 8 ball and was giving up a bunch of games to boot. So basically the guy stood there on the side watching the opponent run out and won anyway. After the match him and the team was hooting and jumping around like they won $100,000 on a lotto ticket.

I'd be embarrassed to win like that and would say "sorry about that win" to the other guy. I mean not only are you getting a spot, you won without really making any shots, who would be happy about that?