How to minimize cue fraud and theft

Vinnie

pool is cool.
Silver Member
OK,

Time to brainstorm ideas that will help to reduce the occurrence of fake cues and cue theft.

My idea is for the cue maker to embed a tiny chip (same one that the vets use on animals) into the butt end of the cue. The serial number of the chip can then be archived for authenticity and/or ownership.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Im all for LowJack on new Custom cues.....this way it will turn a 2500.00 cue into a 4500.00 cue:grin:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Actually, the chip thing is a good idea. Problem would be in getting enough scanners out there. Where to place the scanners other than pool halls? Cue makers & dealers?

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
GPS chips

OK,

Time to brainstorm ideas that will help to reduce the occurrence of fake cues and cue theft.

My idea is for the cue maker to embed a tiny chip (same one that the vets use on animals) into the butt end of the cue. The serial number of the chip can then be archived for authenticity and/or ownership.

A GPS chip placed inside the que perhaps under the weight screw in the butt would allow the que to be tracked by latitude and longitude to within 100 feet.

The chip could be activated if the que is stolen or misplaced remotely by computer. That way the ballery, a small watch battery would last for years.

This would be a good idea for those investing in ques costing over 1000 bucks each. Or near that, unless the que has sentimental value.

Just a thought.

Duffman

Barboxer for life.
Silver Member
OK,

The problem with the chips that the vet puts in, is that the chip is only activated when being scanned. The scanner has to be almost touching the animal for it to work. Unless you can sneak a scanner into a pool hall, take it out of your bag and scan the cue, all without the perp noticing, you will have a very little chance of catching him.

Even a small GPS chip is going to be about a half an ounce. I know how picky you guys are with weights and balances of custom cues. I dont know how many people would sacrifice the feel of the cue for extra protection, in the off chance of someone stealing it.

Really the best thing, is to get the cue appraised and make sure it is covered in your homeowners/renters insurance.

Sure you might be out a cue that was important to you, but at least you will have the money to buy another one.

Fastolfe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to go high tech (not to mention that GPS chips don't work well, or at all, inside buildings and car trunks).

I work in a company that manufactures high-end luxury rifles. We mark each gun's major metal parts with a unique stamp bearing our company's crest and name, as well as the serial number. We have the stamps hand-engraved (in reverse of course) by an engraver.

Such stamps are difficult to reproduce, and in any case, they aren't cost-effective to make for two-bit counterfeiters. Even for products such as ours, with a minimum price tag of $70k, they're protection enough. Sure we occasionally see fakes, but they're easily spotted by us and auction houses alike.

If a cuemaker is that concerned about counterfeiting, I say just get a stamp with a unique design made by an engraver (max. $500 for complex designs) and stamp the face of the bolt inside the butt before assembly. If someone wants to make a fake, they'll have to buy a genuine cue, disassemble it, and get a new stamp made from the marking that will create exactly identical stamp marks (good luck on that one, just ask any engraver). For comparatively cheap products like cues, it's just not worth the expense.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
One of the best solutions to this problem is very low tech, simple to do, and costs almost nothing. As a matter-of -fact it will save you money.
DON'T GET DRUNK AT THE POOLHALL!
Over the years I've seen many a cue, and case, stolen because the owner was too inebriated to look after his equipment.