How to get chalk out of a cue case?

XxMerlinxX

Pleased As Punch
Gold Member
Silver Member
Could I hear some ideas on how to get chalk out of a cue case? I've tried the old "turn it upside down and shake" method, just wondering if there are any other techniques out there that might be slightly more invasive?

hbend

American Mastiff fan
Silver Member
If your talking about powder residue, I've taped wet paper towels to the end of a broomstick before basically making a large q-tip. Had to repeat it a few times, but it worked pretty well.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried blowing it out with compressed air? You may try attaching a 30" or so hose to the air supply and running the hose down to the bottom of the case. I wouldn't use anything wet until you've exhausted all other means. Might just clump up the chalk. You might also try tying a microfiber rag to a stick and try getting it out that way. Dry Magic Eraser works well on chalk so you might try attaching a piece to a stick and cleaning the case that way. Also you may take that 30" hose and try attaching it to a vacuum cleaner and then running the hose up and down the case. If you do finally get it clean, if possible always try to put your cue in upside down - butt bumper in first and shaft joint in first. That's what I do. I always clean my cue before I put it in the case, so I don't have a chalk problem. The final solution would be to remove the lining of the case but that's pretty drastic. Hope some of these suggestions work for you. Let's us know how you did. Good luck with cleaning that case.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to go out on a limb here, but do you mean a cube of chalk in the cue butt/shaft tubes or sleeves? Bend a wire hanger straight and then bend the end of the wire hanger into a little 'L' shape, take care to file/sand the end of the 'L' shape smooth so that it is not sharp and will not hurt the interior of the case. It should slip past one side of the cube of chalk and you should be able to get at the underside of the cube with it. Make sure to do this while the case is upside down while holding the case in the air. Gravity should help you while you're trying to get it out. Go slow.

The vacuum suggestion is a good one if you can find a long enough attachment that will fit and slide down into the case long enough.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Could I hear some ideas on how to get chalk out of a cue case? I've tried the old "turn it upside down and shake" method, just wondering if there are any other techniques out there that might be slightly more invasive?

What kind of a case is it? If it's a tube case then taking it apart to get to the chalk from the bottom is probably the way to go.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chalk in the case

Actually.. I think you're on to something here. Self chalking cue case! Like one of those Ginsu knives that sharpen themselves when you put them in their sheath. A cube of chalk at the bottom of each shaft holder. Nobody steal my idea!!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Cube of chalk stuck in a tube? Spot weld a good sized sheet metal screw to an iron rod...screw the screw into the chalk...extract. I've never done this, but it should work. I think the worst that could happen is the screw would break the chalk into pieces...pieces you could then shake out?

Last edited:

XxMerlinxX

Pleased As Punch
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lol, I'm talking about chalk powder down in the tubes, not an actual cube of chalk. The compressed air idea sounds like it might do the trick, I'll try that later today. If that doesn't work, I'll try some of that Chalk Off. Thanks fellas.

tomker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your talking about powder residue, I've taped wet paper towels to the end of a broomstick before basically making a large q-tip. Had to repeat it a few times, but it worked pretty well.
Thanks for the idea. I just did this with my own cue case.

I didn't have a broomstick that was narrow enough to fit down the tubes, but I have a dowel that I bought from Home Depot to secure a sliding glass door, and it was the perfect diameter and length.

I taped a dry paper towel to one end using masking tape. (Use more tape than you think you'll need! You don't want the paper towel falling off in the tube.)

I would worry about a wet paper towel disintegrating in the tube. A dry paper towel seemed to pick up chalk pretty well. I repeated this process four times. The fourth paper towel basically didn't have any chalk on it, so I think the tubes are probably pretty clean.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What kind of case? More invasive would be to take the whole thing apart. Then figure out how to get it back together.