Black & Yellow 9 ball? "Bumblebee"

Patrick

1 Pocket Addict
Silver Member
In the early 90's I worked at a pool hall and we kept special sets of pool balls behind the counter aside from the normal racks handed out to customers.

One of these sets had a black and yellow 9 ball that we lovingly called the "bumblebee" ball. It was a high quality set of balls, but I can't remember if it was a special 9 ball set or it was part of a full 16 ball set.

Anyone know who made this set or have a picture handy? Any chance someone is still making it?

Thanks for looking.

-Patrick

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
In the early 90's I worked at a pool hall and we kept special sets of pool balls behind the counter aside from the normal racks handed out to customers.

One of these sets had a black and yellow 9 ball that we lovingly called the "bumblebee" ball. It was a high quality set of balls, but I can't remember if it was a special 9 ball set or it was part of a full 16 ball set.

Anyone know who made this set or have a picture handy? Any chance someone is still making it?

Thanks for looking.

-Patrick

That was a Raschig set. Those had no numbers and the 9 ball was a combination of Yellow (1) plus Black (8) to make 9.

rashig_9ball_lo.jpg

From this site:
http://www.classiccues.com/cues/c_o_m.htm

XxMerlinxX

Pleased As Punch
Gold Member
Silver Member
Weird, never heard of such. Knowing me, I'd forget which numbers went with which colors, lol.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for looking.

-Patrick

In the early 80s a British TV station showed a new pool game called TENBALL. Included in the ball set was a black and yellow striped ball which came to be known as The Wasp. The players included Steve Davis, Peter Ebdon and Hurricane Alex Higgins plus other leading SNOOKER players of the day. The players were kitted out with a uniform that made them look like Space Cadets,
The other thing that I remember was the transparent plastic rails within which were set blue fluorescent neon lights. It was all very futuristic but the game itself had no future and only lasted for a single series of shows.
It was too big a culture jump for a snooker obsessed audience to deal with and it was a further ten years before big table pool came to the UK.

Patrick

1 Pocket Addict
Silver Member
In the early 80s a British TV station showed a new pool game called TENBALL. Included in the ball set was a black and yellow striped ball which came to be known as The Wasp. The players included Steve Davis, Peter Ebdon and Hurricane Alex Higgins plus other leading SNOOKER players of the day. The players were kitted out with a uniform that made them look like Space Cadets,
The other thing that I remember was the transparent plastic rails within which were set blue fluorescent neon lights. It was all very futuristic but the game itself had no future and only lasted for a single series of shows.
It was too big a culture jump for a snooker obsessed audience to deal with and it was a further ten years before big table pool came to the UK.

I might have to check out YouTube and see if I can find this for pure entertainment. Thanks!