The EPITOMY of CLASS, CHARACTER & TALENT

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
This weekend's tournament at White Diamond Billiards in Lafayette, Louisiana was exciting, competitive and fun.

Robley and JoeyA finished up 7th & 8th for the tournament, although it was Robley who sent JoeyA over to the one loss side first.

Due to some coaching and cueing instruction from Stan Shuffett and the new kid on the block, Phil Burford I enjoyed some enhanced playing this weekend.

My high finish was nothing short of a miracle with 128 players in this event. The field was deep with great talent but often they faced each other or the lesser player caught a gear at the right time which was my case most of the time.

But THE REAL STORY was something that I personally witnessed. In all of the years that I have played pool, I was never more impressed by a single incident than what occured this weekend. Stan Shuffett went in the Calcutta for an enormous amount of money and did not buy half of himself because he felt that the bid price was too high. It's not hard to agree with him as the bidders of the Calcuttas at White Diamonds often go through the stratosphere without rhyme or reason. Rumors often send the price of players through the roof. One rumor had Phil Burford beating Mark Cavalier so badly that mark quit during the set. That rumor is so far from the truth I had to laugh because I was there when Phil played Mark. The second set had Mark making a comeback and finishing the set and losing with a score of around 11-8. That's not a blowout and Mark isn't a quitter. Phil lost two matches in the White Diamonds tournament and finished 9-12th one position less than Robley and JoeyA.

Phil went for an astronomical number at a little over 1200 dollars if I recall correctly and we all bought a piece of Phil but Stan bought most of Phil's half. Now with that much money at stake on Phil you would think that everything would be done to assure Phil's journey to the top. With Stan and the JoeyA crew not buying any portion of what was paid for Stan in the Calcutta, we had great hopes for Phil Burford, a young 20 year old hailing from England but not residing in Kentucky since we all had a major investment in the Calcutta for Phil.

As fortune would have it, eventually Stan and Phil had to face each other. Just prior to the match between the two of them, the person who bought Stan in the Calcutta, inquired with Stan about what he could expect. Morty from Florida was just inquiring because he didn't know how hard Stan would be playing to beat Phil afterall Marty put up his hard-earned money and wanted to find out if he had a chance. Stan immediately replied that Marty didn't have to worry and that he would play hard against Phil, even though Stan was an underdog in this match on all cards. Morty, later in a private conversation with me, said that he had faith not only in Stan's integrity but in his talent as well. (It's good for a Calcutta buyer to know his players :D) After Morty left, Stan confided in me that he could not and would not lay down in any match against any opponent regardless of the amount of money that he might make on purchasing someone else in the Calcutta. I kind of looked at Stan admiringly because I respect people of good conscience and high character and to myself, I thought that Stan's statement was special. As always, I refer to the the actual test to determine a person's true intent. Words are just words but the deeds are the true test of a person's integrity and I would just wait and see how Stan would try to compete against his future son-in-law and (under 18 UK Junior National Champion).

Not to my surprise, I watched as Stan stood firmly fighting for each and every ball, playing a strong, solid game, demonstrating his prowess at the table. If you've never seen Stan compete, you're missing an inspiration because he is a fierce competitor and a great talent as well as a remarkable teacher and coach. In the short race to 7, Stan managed to squeak out a victory by fighting hard every second of the tournament. His tenacity, grinding style of play and talent inspired me to levels I have never before seen in myself. I guess some of that inspiration took place earlier in the week when Stan and Phil visited Buffalo Billiards for a few days prior to the big tournament. I had asked Stan and Phil to offer any advice that might help my game and they spent quality time with me and I believe I am now a better player for their efforts and insight. Stan took Phil and I out to eat at K-Paul's for Blackened Drum ( a DELICIOUS, fish delicacy made famous by local Chef Paul Prudhomme.) I had treated Stan and Phil to a modest Muffaletta sandwich from Giorlando's Restaurant, which is a must have sandwich that originated here in New Orleans.:grin:

Stan Shuffett inspires me not only as a pool player but he also inspires me to be a better man. I've always tried to do the right thing and don't always succeed but am always working toward that goal. Stan by his own personal standards sets a benchmark for anyone who wishes to be classified as a professional and a man of integrity. I also watched Stan's other matches at a distance (because I didn't want to distract him, which would probably be hard to do, but I didn't want to take any chances) and when his opponent was at the table, Stan was a motionless opponent awaiting his own return to the table.

The event paid out over 40,000 beans to the participators. Even JoeyA and Robley got a taste.

Hopefully, Stan and Phil will pass our way in the future. I know that for me as a player, he and Phil made this tournament, my most memorable tournament event. The icing on the cake was how Stan conducts himself in public and private. Stan is a GREAT instructor, top player and a man of integrity. Thanks for inspiring us all Stan!

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
great post joey....it was nice meeting you......great rightup and yes he is a stand up guy......and yes i had a 3rd of him also.....stand up guy that does the right thing.....hard to find these days but stan is one of them....ps that bender is SMOKING HOT.......thanks again mickey

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
great post joey....it was nice meeting you......great rightup and yes he is a stand up guy......and yes i had a 3rd of him also.....stand up guy that does the right thing.....hard to find these days but stan is one of them....ps that bender is SMOKING HOT.......thanks again mickey

Thanks Mickey! It was nice meeting you too.

robleyf7

AZB Horse 2016
Silver Member
nice post joey but u come out 6th i come out 5th not 7th 8th lol good shooting mister joey

btw i enjoyed seeing stan too i also bought his pro one/cte dvd i love it

DocHutch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA Crew

Stan is all of what Joey says. He is a very "deliberate" shooter and a great guy. Stan and Phil absolutely made this a memorable weekend for "the JoeyA Crew".

Jamie "DocHutch"

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats Joey and Robley on your tournament successes. Hopefully, this is just the beginning!

Your words about Stan ring true in my book. He is a true gentleman and I would expect nothing less than what you told us from him. Who says instructors can't play? :smile:

Best,
Mike

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice write-up. Congrats to you all, Joey, Robley, Stan!! Every thing you said about Stan goes with what I've heard about him.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA...Congratulations on another great finish for you! I'm not surprised at all to hear of Stan's integrity. I've known him for many years, and he has always been a man of his word. His skills at the table are quite evident too. He's been a professional level player for many years, but has dedicated himself to helping others learn...also a trait I admire. I had not heard about Phil, but if he is joining Stan's family, you can be sure he is a person of high integrity as well! I was down in KY last weekend, and had planned to go see Stan. Unfortunately he was out in LA with you guys! LOL I'll have to catch up with him another time!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

This weekend's tournament at White Diamond Billiards in Lafayette, Louisiana was exciting, competitive and fun.

Robley and JoeyA finished up 7th & 8th for the tournament, although it was Robley who sent JoeyA over to the one loss side first.

Due to some coaching and cueing instruction from Stan Shuffett and the new kid on the block, Phil Burford I enjoyed some enhanced playing this weekend.

My high finish was nothing short of a miracle with 128 players in this event. The field was deep with great talent but often they faced each other or the lesser player caught a gear at the right time which was my case most of the time.

But THE REAL STORY was something that I personally witnessed. In all of the years that I have played pool, I was never more impressed by a single incident than what occured this weekend. Stan Shuffett went in the Calcutta for an enormous amount of money and did not buy half of himself because he felt that the bid price was too high. It's not hard to agree with him as the bidders of the Calcuttas at White Diamonds often go through the stratosphere without rhyme or reason. Rumors often send the price of players through the roof. One rumor had Phil Burford beating Mark Cavalier so badly that mark quit during the set. That rumor is so far from the truth I had to laugh because I was there when Phil played Mark. The second set had Mark making a comeback and finishing the set and losing with a score of around 11-8. That's not a blowout and Mark isn't a quitter. Phil lost two matches in the White Diamonds tournament and finished 9-12th one position less than Robley and JoeyA.

Phil went for an astronomical number at a little over 1200 dollars if I recall correctly and we all bought a piece of Phil but Stan bought most of Phil's half. Now with that much money at stake on Phil you would think that everything would be done to assure Phil's journey to the top. With Stan and the JoeyA crew not buying any portion of what was paid for Stan in the Calcutta, we had great hopes for Phil Burford, a young 20 year old hailing from England but not residing in Kentucky since we all had a major investment in the Calcutta for Phil.

As fortune would have it, eventually Stan and Phil had to face each other. Just prior to the match between the two of them, the person who bought Stan in the Calcutta, inquired with Stan about what he could expect. Morty from Florida was just inquiring because he didn't know how hard Stan would be playing to beat Phil afterall Marty put up his hard-earned money and wanted to find out if he had a chance. Stan immediately replied that Marty didn't have to worry and that he would play hard against Phil, even though Stan was an underdog in this match on all cards. Morty, later in a private conversation with me, said that he had faith not only in Stan's integrity but in his talent as well. (It's good for a Calcutta buyer to know his players :D) After Morty left, Stan confided in me that he could not and would not lay down in any match against any opponent regardless of the amount of money that he might make on purchasing someone else in the Calcutta. I kind of looked at Stan admiringly because I respect people of good conscience and high character and to myself, I thought that Stan's statement was special. As always, I refer to the the actual test to determine a person's true intent. Words are just words but the deeds are the true test of a person's integrity and I would just wait and see how Stan would try to compete against his future son-in-law and (under 18 UK Junior National Champion).

Not to my surprise, I watched as Stan stood firmly fighting for each and every ball, playing a strong, solid game, demonstrating his prowess at the table. If you've never seen Stan compete, you're missing an inspiration because he is a fierce competitor and a great talent as well as a remarkable teacher and coach. In the short race to 7, Stan managed to squeak out a victory by fighting hard every second of the tournament. His tenacity, grinding style of play and talent inspired me to levels I have never before seen in myself. I guess some of that inspiration took place earlier in the week when Stan and Phil visited Buffalo Billiards for a few days prior to the big tournament. I had asked Stan and Phil to offer any advice that might help my game and they spent quality time with me and I believe I am now a better player for their efforts and insight. Stan took Phil and I out to eat at K-Paul's for Blackened Drum ( a DELICIOUS, fish delicacy made famous by local Chef Paul Prudhomme.) I had treated Stan and Phil to a modest Muffaletta sandwich from Giorlando's Restaurant, which is a must have sandwich that originated here in New Orleans.:grin:

Stan Shuffett inspires me not only as a pool player but he also inspires me to be a better man. I've always tried to do the right thing and don't always succeed but am always working toward that goal. Stan by his own personal standards sets a benchmark for anyone who wishes to be classified as a professional and a man of integrity. I also watched Stan's other matches at a distance (because I didn't want to distract him, which would probably be hard to do, but I didn't want to take any chances) and when his opponent was at the table, Stan was a motionless opponent awaiting his own return to the table.

The event paid out over 40,000 beans to the participators. Even JoeyA and Robley got a taste.

Hopefully, Stan and Phil will pass our way in the future. I know that for me as a player, he and Phil made this tournament, my most memorable tournament event. The icing on the cake was how Stan conducts himself in public and private. Stan is a GREAT instructor, top player and a man of integrity. Thanks for inspiring us all Stan!

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
JoeyA, that sounds like the same Stan that I know.. You are right, he is definitely a man of Integrity.. He ranks very high in my book!

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan is a class act on every account. I am fortunate to know him.

Phil is a good kid as well. I think everyone on this forum will know who he is within a few years. He is a beast. He plays at my home room every weekend (Stan's daughter goes to school here). Watching him play, I have no doubt he will be playing with the best given a little more seasoning.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey, THANK YOU!

It’s a little tough sometimes to travel hundreds of miles to hit those round balls. Thank goodness there is so much more involved than just moving the cue and hitting balls. Pool has taken me to a lot neat spots around our country and I have made many friends along the way. Joey, I am glad to count you as one of my very best. It’s always a pleasure to talk and visit with you.

It was a real treat to visit Buffalo’s. What a super room! What other room offers 2 free entry fee tournaments a week, 9 ball and one-pocket. When I first arrived at Buffalo’s I was quickly signed up for a race to one 9 ball tournament in a 64 man field. I was really surprised to win that Tuesday night showdown. Also, out of 100 plus ticket-holders my name was drawn for the 10 ball break and run. I meant to buy a lottery ticket the next day and did not….should have though. Joey, you got yourself a fine home base poolroom.

Phil and I really enjoyed the French Quarter tour. Our dinner was the best! I will visit K Paul’s again and Connie will be along next time. She was somewhat jealous to say the least.

The tournament at White Diamond’s was quite an ordeal from start to finish. It’s no wonder that Chris fills the field of 128. 47000 gets a lot attention!! Chris has the correct formula and I’m sure he’ll continue to draw large fields. I hope to return.

I sort of knew I’d be playing Phil. Isn’t that the way it usually works out? Phil drew 127 and I drew 124. So, 3 matches into the event and we would meet. Yes, a lot of money could be shuffled around according to our outcome. My thoughts concerning the sneaky stuff posed no problem. I spent 34.5 years in classrooms and my most common phrase to my students was, “People judge you by the way you act.” There was zero chance of anyone seeing me do sneaky stuff. In fact, I was hoping that match could be streamed. (You know, out in the open.) I have certainly taught Landon about how one should act and Phil got to experience the lesson first hand. When one competes the goal is to win. If I would have thrown that match I would have lost in many ways. Heck fire! I had a shot at winning that tournament, too. I fell short, but was pleased to get 9-12 in that field.

Phil and I had a great 6 day trip. We’re playing a few sets to 11 today and I could be in big trouble, but we’ll see. Landon will join the battle later after his school work is in order.

Thanks to all of you that responded in this thread. I really appreciate your comments.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joey, you sir are a class act! Thanks for sharing this story about something good in the world of pool. It's because of people like you who I have met along the way that my trip has been worthwhile. I wish Stan and I had connected during my days in Dayton, but I hate to admit I was around before his time. :smile:

I'm glad to know Stan, and think that Landon is fortunate to have him for a father. I look forward to meeting Phil as well, maybe at the U.S. Open???

As for me I wish I had some good sparring partners to practice with. I might actually get back in stroke. The last time I played multiple sets with anyone was with my dear friend Ming all those years ago. She went on to be a top sixteen player on the WPBA and I snapped off a few small scores. :rolleyes:

I haven't played that good since, even though I got lots of action at my last poolroom. Jay's Billiards is long gone now, closed for over five years. I'm adrift in the pool world, having to suffice with a rare tournament appearance, my lot cast as a TD and commentator. Sometimes I wish I lived in New Orleans; great people, great food and great pool!

I could stand to be hustled by Joey every day. I'm sure he would make a better One Pocket player out of me and I might do the same for his Bank game.

P.S. I will say this publicly, of all the co-commentators I have worked with over the years, Joey is right at the top of the heap! Great voice, great insights and a very pleasant manner. Hopefully we'll get to to it again some day.

Last edited:

robleyf7

AZB Horse 2016
Silver Member
Joey, THANK YOU!

It’s a little tough sometimes to travel hundreds of miles to hit those round balls. Thank goodness there is so much more involved than just moving the cue and hitting balls. Pool has taken me to a lot neat spots around our country and I have made many friends along the way. Joey, I am glad to count you as one of my very best. It’s always a pleasure to talk and visit with you.

It was a real treat to visit Buffalo’s. What a super room! What other room offers 2 free entry fee tournaments a week, 9 ball and one-pocket. When I first arrived at Buffalo’s I was quickly signed up for a race to one 9 ball tournament in a 64 man field. I was really surprised to win that Tuesday night showdown. Also, out of 100 plus ticket-holders my name was drawn for the 10 ball break and run. I meant to buy a lottery ticket the next day and did not….should have though. Joey, you got yourself a fine home base poolroom.

Phil and I really enjoyed the French Quarter tour. Our dinner was the best! I will visit K Paul’s again and Connie will be along next time. She was somewhat jealous to say the least.

The tournament at White Diamond’s was quite an ordeal from start to finish. It’s no wonder that Chris fills the field of 128. 47000 gets a lot attention!! Chris has the correct formula and I’m sure he’ll continue to draw large fields. I hope to return.

I sort of knew I’d be playing Phil. Isn’t that the way it usually works out? Phil drew 127 and I drew 124. So, 3 matches into the event and we would meet. Yes, a lot of money could be shuffled around according to our outcome. My thoughts concerning the sneaky stuff posed no problem. I spent 34.5 years in classrooms and my most common phrase to my students was, “People judge you by the way you act.” There was zero chance of anyone seeing me do sneaky stuff. In fact, I was hoping that match could be streamed. (You know, out in the open.) I have certainly taught Landon about how one should act and Phil got to experience the lesson first hand. When one competes the goal is to win. If I would have thrown that match I would have lost in many ways. Heck fire! I had a shot at winning that tournament, too. I fell short, but was pleased to get 9-12 in that field.

Phil and I had a great 6 day trip. We’re playing a few sets to 11 today and I could be in big trouble, but we’ll see. Landon will join the battle later after his school work is in order.

Thanks to all of you that responded in this thread. I really appreciate your comments.

Stan Shuffett

mister stan it was a pleasure meeting u an phil that made my tournament that much more memorable it was good seeing u an watching u an phil play i hope someday too go meet u an get lessons hope u come back too white diamonds soon

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's great to hear your out playing Stan, and playing quite well. It's no surprise that you played all out to beat Phil, I would have expected nothing else after spending the weekend with you for lessons. I not only took alot of pool knowledge with me after I left your house but a couple of ten hour days in someones house you can get a good sense about them. You are a top notch instructor,and player, and there is no doubt husband and family man belongs on that list. Haven't met Phil yet but with you teaching him and setting an example for him, he will no doubt be respected on and off the table. Trying to make Derby City this year and you are definitively on my list to see.
Congrats on getting out and playing again.