Here are world top 100 as of 7-16-18 -- showing ranking changes

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 9.14.14 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 9.14.14 AM.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 830

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did I not make the list again...? I bet if you did top 110 I would be on the list. :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Too much to comment on here, but you've got it, more or less, right with the Americans: SVB, Dechaine, and Bergman are clearly the only three Americans who are World Top 25 and no one else is even close. The scary part is that we'll send at most one of them to this year's Mosconi.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand the "changes". How can Alex have gone down three spots when no one above him is marked as going up to pass him? I'm sure I'm missing something.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it seem like all the pros are slowly climbing higher as a group? Maybe I remember wrong but at one point there was maybe one player or two in the 800s.

Having Joshua as top 6 in the world is crazy, kid just learned to shave a week ago or something LOL. I don't mean he does not deserve to be ranked that way, just for the skill for his age. I guess Wu was the same way and maybe even younger.

And Eklenti is only 18 (maybe 19 now) and is 13.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't understand the "changes". How can Alex have gone down three spots when no one above him is marked as going up to pass him? I'm sure I'm missing something.
I'm guessing that players who move only one place and less than one rating point are not marked.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does it seem like all the pros are slowly climbing higher as a group? Maybe I remember wrong but at one point there was maybe one player or two in the 800s. ...
I think that rating creep is possible because there is no absolute reference for the rating scale. Since all the ratings are relative to other players (100 points means twice the scoring rate) it doesn't really make any difference when comparing players.

It would be possible to set a standard by adjusting everyone up or down so the top 20 or 30 established players have an average rating of 800 or so.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing that players who move only one place and less than one rating point are not marked.

Yes, to keep it less cluttered I think i noted any changes for the top 10, changes or two spots or more for the middle crowd and 3 or more near the bottom.

But I think Gideon means "I don't understand how a Canadian can go down, under any circumstances...."

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yes, to keep it less cluttered I think i noted any changes for the top 10, changes or two spots or more for the middle crowd and 3 or more near the bottom.

But I think Gideon means "I don't understand how a Canadian can go down, under any circumstances...."

Yeah, but Gideon was polite about it, like most Canucks...
He wrote “I’m sure I’m missing something.”
:)

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Yukio do something?

Nothing crazy... But he played about 80 games at the Japan open (including qualifying rounds) performing at about 800 speed and went up a handful of points. There are enough players close together so that you can go up a lot of places with not that many points.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nothing crazy... But he played about 80 games at the Japan open (including qualifying rounds) performing at about 800 speed and went up a handful of points. There are enough players close together so that you can go up a lot of places with not that many points.

Aha; thanks, I didn't follow that event.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No, that's only when you started suggesting we weren't inherently better at hockey. I grudgingly accept that we can go down in other fields.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
That's OK. I will still take our boy in an ALL AROUND competition AND for the CASH.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, do older wins ever diminish in relevance or roll off?

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I have a question for Mike Page.

Is this system able to assess what someone's rating would have been in a historical sense?

For example,based on the Efren vs Earl race to 120,could you have given them a number based on that set or would it take more data than that? Thanks in advance,Tommy D.