Will this size room work?

usmcss

Registered
Hey guys, new here. I just purchased an 8’ Brunswick Glenwood. It hasn’t arrived yet and I’m starting to think I screwed up on the measurements. I saw all the recommendations for this size table and 58” cues, I taped the table out in the room and used a cue I have and it seemed like it would work out with just having to raise the cue on tight rail shots.

My room is exactly 15’ 9” x 11’ 11”. I’m wondering if any of you guys have a similar situation and what your thoughts are? Is this just going to be a frustration or will it work out with just having to use a smaller cue on certain shots?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!!!

Semper Fi,

Bob

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 17' x 12' room. I have a 7' table. I had it installed off center of the room, but not on an angle. 3 sides of my table are completely unobstructed. One side needs short cues on shots. It is well worth it to practice drills and frankly, getting used to a short cue is not that hard.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, new here. I just purchased an 8’ Brunswick Glenwood. It hasn’t arrived yet and I’m starting to think I screwed up on the measurements. I saw all the recommendations for this size table and 58” cues, I taped the table out in the room and used a cue I have and it seemed like it would work out with just having to raise the cue on tight rail shots.

My room is exactly 15’ 9” x 11’ 11”. I’m wondering if any of you guys have a similar situation and what your thoughts are? Is this just going to be a frustration or will it work out with just having to use a smaller cue on certain shots?

Thanks guys!!!

Semper Fi,

Bob

You're roughly 15" too short in length, and 18" too narrow in width to play comfortably.

A seven footer would be tight in that room also.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks guys!!!

Semper Fi,

Bob

Bad news, too small. You need a minimum of 5' on each side of a table. So its easier to figure it this way, add 10' to the measurements of the table.

So for a 4x8, minimum room size should be 14x18 to be able to use a regular length cue and be able to stroke it when the cue ball is on a rail.

6'+ on each side is better IMHO, otherwise.... :thumbup:

ja3dV8Lh.jpg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks guys!!!

Semper Fi,

Bob
Will be frustrating width and length. You'll need to get used to 48" and 52" cues for many of your shots, as you are nearly 2-feet short on both width and length. A 7-foot table would be better, but even that would have issues in that sized room.

usmcss

Registered
Wow!!! Looks like I really screwed up!!!

I really appreciate all the reply’s guys! Kramer was funny too!

This sucks!!!

Will let you all know what we end up with Monday.

Thanks again!!!

Semper Fi,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like what has already been mentioned, a 48 inch cue will be mandatory, and that's if you have a standard 4' X 8' table, if it's an oversized 8' then you will need ridiculously short cues when the CB is close to the rails. What about using a different room? A garage maybe? Can the wife give up the living room? I lost my battle with the wife, but there is always hope.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks guys!!!

Semper Fi,

Bob

I would push the table against the wall. That way you will have plenty of room on one long rail and at least one short rail.

If drills are your main concern, the above is what I would do.

Rake

usmcss

Registered
Like what has already been mentioned, a 48 inch cue will be mandatory, and that's if you have a standard 4' X 8' table, if it's an oversized 8' then you will need ridiculously short cues when the CB is close to the rails. What about using a different room? A garage maybe? Can the wife give up the living room? I lost my battle with the wife, but there is always hope.

Hey Lawnboy,

Been sitting here right now brain storming. My wife has been really cool about this, giving up the dinning room. The living room was out of the question! I’m sitting here now like a little kid hoping she caves and says just put it in the living room but I doubt it.

Garage is out.

Man I really thought this was going to work. Just thought I would have to raise the cue on tight rail shots.

I will update. Thanks a lot!!!

usmcss

Registered
I would push the table against the wall. That way you will have plenty of room on one long rail and at least one short rail.

Rake

Appreciate it Rake but that won’t work because we really wanted it for the whole family and to play full games. Hoping to work the living room out with my wife!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Rake

Here's a scale drawing with the table centered and four cues. One foot per square.

I would say you have four options:

Push it almost all the way into a corner and use it for practice as the Rake suggests.

Find a room where it will be comfortable -- at least 15 x 20 so you can have some furniture as well.

Get rid of it and play at the PH.

Play with 40-inch cues.

CropperCapture[191].png

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appreciate it Rake but that won’t work because we really wanted it for the whole family and to play full games. Hoping to work the living room out with my wife!

Well, find a way for the whole family to participate in drills. Then ever couple of weeks take family to hall and see how drills are working and which drills are needed.

With that area, I just don't see playing on it. Not sure, but maybe a 6×3 bar box would be better if you can find one.

Good luck,

Rake

usmcss

Registered
Here's a scale drawing with the table centered and four cues. One foot per square.

I would say you have four options:

Push it almost all the way into a corner and use it for practice as the Rake suggests.

Find a room where it will be comfortable -- at least 15 x 20 so you can have some furniture as well.

Get rid of it and play at the PH.

Play with 40-inch cues.

View attachment 503403

Wow, thanks for that drawing Bob! That has definitely made that room out for me.

I think I have a solution and will post it below.

Thanks again!

usmcss

Registered
I'm curious. Did you buy it from a dealer and did you mention the room size?

I bought it from a dealer. We measured the table in the store. I gave him room dimensions and he told me I would have some right shots and would probably have to use the smaller cues. But he did lead me to believe that the room size recommendation where for fully stretched out stances.

From the way you guys all jumped on this right away stating it won’t work it kind of pisses me off now that I think about it as he should have done the same. But in the end, I had the dimensions of the table and he told me to mock it up and see what I thought, and I thought it would work.

Thanks Bob!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
,,, and he told me I would have some right shots and would probably have to use the smaller cues. But he did lead me to believe that the room size recommendation where for fully stretched out stances. ...
He probably sells used cars as his other job. Those tires aren't bald, they're special "ice tires" and the studs retract when they're warm.

usmcss

Registered
Well, find a way for the whole family to participate in drills. Then ever couple of weeks take family to hall and see how drills are working and which drills are needed.

With that area, I just don't see playing on it. Not sure, but maybe a 6×3 bar box would be better if you can find one.

Good luck,

Rake

Thanks Rake! I think I have it figured out. It might go in the kitchen. The table in the picture is setup with the chairs to represent the pool table. I have 5’ of clearance all the way around except for the far end by the doors which is 4’. The break side of the table which is closest to the camera has 5’ and then goes to 4 feet. The countertop is 3 feet off the ground. Over the top of the counter gives me more than 4 feet.

If this doesn’t work then my wife is going to cave in and we will put it in the living room. Not sure how I’m going to arrange the living room to still be able to watch tv with the table in there. I guess I will have to mount the tv on the wall or raise it somehow.

Thanks again Everyone!!!

1fe42d8f69423f4d480858f0c50d8445.jpg

d90a014ff844a70098e6d3bfacd81e7e.jpg

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dining room is better than the original area. I'm not sure what the living room measures but I say living room is best bet.

I imagine if placed in dining room it will be a lot of traffic. Just a consideration.

Rake

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought it from a dealer. We measured the table in the store. I gave him room dimensions and he told me I would have some right shots and would probably have to use the smaller cues. But he did lead me to believe that the room size recommendation where for fully stretched out stances.

From the way you guys all jumped on this right away stating it won’t work it kind of pisses me off now that I think about it as he should have done the same. But in the end, I had the dimensions of the table and he told me to mock it up and see what I thought, and I thought it would work.

Thanks Bob!

This salesman was partially correct, but remember he's trying to sell you a table. Fully stretched out stances has nothing to do with whether a room is big enough for a table. Your issues will be anytime the ball is within 6"-12" of any rail, and the shot being played places your cue somewhat perpendicular to the rail - which will happen all the time.

To be accurate, based on your exact room dimensions down to the inch, in a perfect world he should have been able to tell you exactly what sized cue you'll have to use when your cue ball is up against the rail and you are shooting perpendicular to the rail, allowing for a 4" backstroke. He may or may not have known this, but as I said, he's trying to sell you a table, so it's ultimately your job to do the math!

Last edited: