Memorial for Bob Parker aka $2 Bob...Bay Area, CA

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Pool players around the Bay Area were shocked and saddened to learn that Bob Parker died January 13th. He was 49 years old.

A Bay Area native, Bob (sometimes known as Two Dollar Bob) was a recognized and respected player for more than two decades; at his peak, one of the very best. A ferocious competitor who loved to win, Bob coupled a natural talent for pool with an appreciation for the elegance of the game. Years ago he fell from a tree while working and broke his back. Never fully recovered, from that point forward he battled chronic, severe pain. Other injuries and illnesses followed, including a broken foot a couple of years ago that made it even harder for him to stand long periods playing pool. But Bob was nothing if not tough and he got bored when he didn?t play, so he just kept going.

The last few years Bob played regularly in The Broken Rack 8 Ball League (winning top shooter multiple times, including this past season) and 9 Ball tournaments. Rough looking, he could be cantankerous at times, but those who knew him knew he was also generous and kind. Exceptionally intelligent, a voracious reader, a jazz lover, Bob was a complex man with an active, restless mind who struggled with a failing body. His absence will be felt.

There will be a memorial gathering for friends of Bob Parker on Saturday, February 7th, after 1:00 pm at Popcorn Tavern, 1687 Marine World Parkway, Vallejo, CA, (707) 557-0719. Those who attend are invited to bring food to share. For directions, google Popcorn Tavern.

Bob.jpg

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ABall said:
Pool players around the Bay Area were shocked and saddened to learn that Bob Parker died January 13th. He was 49 years old.

A Bay Area native, Bob (sometimes known as Two Dollar Bob) was a recognized and respected player for more than two decades; at his peak, one of the very best. A ferocious competitor who loved to win, Bob coupled a natural talent for pool with an appreciation for the elegance of the game. Years ago he fell from a tree while working and broke his back. Never fully recovered, from that point forward he battled chronic, severe pain. Other injuries and illnesses followed, including a broken foot a couple of years ago that made it even harder for him to stand long periods playing pool. But Bob was nothing if not tough and he got bored when he didn?t play, so he just kept going.

The last few years Bob played regularly in The Broken Rack 8 Ball League (winning top shooter multiple times, including this past season) and 9 Ball tournaments. Rough looking, he could be cantankerous at times, but those who knew him knew he was also generous and kind. Exceptionally intelligent, a voracious reader, a jazz lover, Bob was a complex man with an active, restless mind who struggled with a failing body. His absence will be felt.

There will be a memorial gathering for friends of Bob Parker on Saturday, February 7th, after 1:00 pm at Popcorn Tavern, 1687 Marine World Parkway, Vallejo, CA, (707) 557-0719. Those who attend are invited to bring food to share. For directions, google Popcorn Tavern.

Bob.jpg

Thanks for posting more details. I posted about this last night and Fatboy shared some stories about Bob in the other thread that folks might want to read.

~rc

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
sixpack said:
Thanks for posting more details. I posted about this last night and Fatboy shared some stories about Bob in the other thread that folks might want to read.

~rc

Thanks, I didn't see your thread. I'm a manager at the Broken Rack. I gambled with Bob sometimes, and he was a friend.