The Greatest Frame of Snooker?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you have a chance, watch the final frame (rack) of the Wilson-McGill match in the semi-finals of the current World Snooker Championship. They were hill-hill, or as they would say "in the decider" of a 33-frame match and tied at 16-16. The loser will get $130,000, which I think is the largest payday for either of them. The winner will get $260,000 if they lose in the finals and $650,000 if they win.

Pretty much every rule in the book was exercised in this frame. Stephen Hendry (7 times world champion) said he had never seen a frame like it in any match. Amazing shots and amazing emotion.

Should be on YouTube before long.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Gary Wilson - Luca Brecel decider is the best frame in my humble opinion

https://youtu.be/m-YqVm8PC6k

Watch the escapes here, the full frame is also on YouTube

I agree....not any more dramatic than Wilson and McGill...but it was like watching a great
1-pocket match on a 6 by 12...Gary Wilson kept coming up with the answers to traps.

In today’s match there were, there was almost 190 points scored...lot of scratches.
...and Wilson fluked the game ball.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
***SPOILER***
Here is the whole frame of the Wilson/McGill decider along with the intro and the post-match interview.
Thanks!

After McGill got snooookerd and failed to hit a red on 7 attempts in a row, all Wilson had to do was not scratch nor get snoooookerd, and he wins? But, then Wilson proceeded to pot the cue ball on his next two turns at the table???!!!

I also have a question about McGill's strategy. McGill needed to score without potting any balls, i.e. he needed to snooker Wilson, so why did McGill pot some of the colored balls instead of knocking them away from the pockets?

And, I have a question about the rules: why did the game end with the black still on the table? Given the careless way Wilson was playing the white, he may have potted the white many more times before he potted the black.

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a chance, watch the final frame (rack) of the Wilson-McGill match in the semi-finals of the current World Snooker Championship. They were hill-hill, or as they would say "in the decider" of a 33-frame match and tied at 16-16. The loser will get $130,000, which I think is the largest payday for either of them. The winner will get $260,000 if they lose in the finals and $650,000 if they win.

Pretty much every rule in the book was exercised in this frame. Stephen Hendry (7 times world champion) said he had never seen a frame like it in any match. Amazing shots and amazing emotion.

Amazing shots and amazing emotions. Also amazing blunders and an amazing fluke.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
The whole day of snooker was awesome! Ronnie's decider was also stellar!

-td

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I also have a question about McGill's strategy. McGill needed to score without potting any balls, i.e. he needed to snooker Wilson, so why did McGill pot some of the colored balls instead of knocking them away from the pockets?

And, I have a question about the rules: why did the game end with the black still on the table? Given the careless way Wilson was playing the white, he may have potted the white many more times before he potted the black.
When you need to get the other player to foul for you to win, you also need to pot all the balls on the table. If there is a ball near the pocket, sometimes you may as well take it, especially if the other balls are in a good position to get a good snooker.

If the black is the only ball left and the difference in score is 7 or more, the next score (which can only be 7, pot or foul) ends the frame unless the score is then tied. With a tie, you play a respotted black (flip and cue ball in the D) and the first score from a respotted black ends the frame.

Often if a player is 8 or more ahead after he pots the last pink, he will just walk away. If he were to foul, it would end the frame anyway. I think the score is recorded without anything for the black, but except for high breaks the exact score is nearly always immaterial.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A remarkable part of the frame is that Wilson seemed genuinely sorry to win like that.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the final going on right now? Is there a way to watch on FB or Youtube (without creating a new account anywhere)?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is the final going on right now? Is there a way to watch on FB or Youtube (without creating a new account anywhere)?
Second of four sessions starts in 15 minutes. You have to get DAZN. Costs $20 for a month, but with all the money I'm saving from not going to restaurants....

(DAZN also has boxing, cricket, and chess right now. I'm not into boxing, but I've also been watching the other two. They also have wrestling, soccer, ... but not much right now.)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote of the match by the commentators...

“Well whoever is controlling the fake applause is keeping their cool.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Watched it all. Obviously I don't know Snooker rules beyond Red then Colored ball.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only topped by the decider between Selby and OSullivan.

The best safety and snooker escapes ‘ever’.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wilson's stroke is odd - he changes speed midway in the shot stroke. ...
That's interesting. He starts forward slowly for about four inches and then accelerates to full speed. He doesn't seem to do that for slow shots nor for the rest shots I watched.

He also plays with both knees bent, presumably due to his height. Few snooker players do that.