How Would You Play This? 12/9/09

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
I would position the cue so that I could make the 12 across to the side pocket while also nudging the 2 ball away from the 8.....nip draw perhaps. Then I would play the 15 along the rail to the corner with a stop or stun shot. The thirteen would be shot with some follow to gain position on the 9 or 14 whichever offers the best opportunity to position for another draw shot to gain shape on the remaining ball......another draw on the remaining ball.......and 8 in the corner......I haven't read the other solutions......so perhaps I am not the first to offer this up....

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
There is the answer!!!

If barbox 8 ball is a good enough game for Shane Van Boening to have cut his teeth on, then it's good enough for me.

Personally, i think the reason there are so many barbox/8 ball snobs, is because they've never seen it played right.

Russ

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If barbox 8 ball is a good enough game for Shane Van Boening to have cut his teeth on, then it's good enough for me.

Personally, i think the reason there are so many barbox/8 ball snobs, is because they've never seen it played right.

Russ

Barbox 8ball is HARD. On the local level, the equipment is rarely in good shape. On the national level, you can run into some amazing talent. Every year I go to Las Vegas, I'm just amazed by the level of talent out there. The Masters and Grand-Masters just play perfect all day long and you soon realize that those position routes you spent years mastering on a 9-foot table no longer apply. Controlling the cueball is key and pocketing is considered a given. 9-foot pool, missing is allowed, even planned. In barbox, you miss, you lose.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member

Russ

Or they got their ass handed to them by someone who "can't play."

"If only we played on the big table."
"Who plays bank shape?"
"I'd like to see him run 6 racks on a 9 foot."
"He got lucky with that kick shot."

Bottom line: if you can't run out, you're gonna hate the bar table because everybody else in the world CAN and WILL. Ain't nothing like learning precision position from small table 8-ball. Making balls is cake. Seeing balls is a little different. In a way it's tougher than the big table. You can **** up your pattern on a 9' and still have options. Many times there's only one way to run out on the barbox; if you **** that pattern up, you lose.

So how'd you play it Jude?

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Bottom line: if you can't run out, you're gonna hate the bar table because everybody else in the world CAN and WILL. Ain't nothing like learning precision position from small table 8-ball. Making balls is cake. Seeing balls is a little different. In a way it's tougher than the big table. You can **** up your pattern on a 9' and still have options. Many times there's only one way to run out on the barbox; if you **** that pattern up, you lose.

Lol, ain't that the truth?

I am leading all nights in my BCA league for break and runs and rack and runs, (by at least 25%) and I am getting trounced in overall win percentage by about 10 different people. I miss quite a few runouts now just because of not paying attention to the little things.

I am one of the few people that is telling the TRUTH when I say I used to play a lot better. I used to keep statistics on my play when I was a developing player, and I was at about the 25% B&R mark on the BB playing 8 ball.

I play on Diamond BBs here in Killeen, and I think part of it is that the room I play out of has the VERY springy old Diamond rails on them, and it's hard to run out consistently when you have to get a precision hit on a breakout and your CB comes a half diamond short if you use any force at all..

Part of it is that, and part of it is just that I quit playing for about 6-7 years and forgot much of the little things that made me a consistent player before.

Whatever my problems may be, I love barbox 8 ball, and depending on my mood, sometimes I'd rather watch two great players play on the box than I would watch them softbreak 9 foot 9 ball and play the same pattern over and over.

Note: I'd rather watch Parica or Efren on the barbox than I would Mitch Ellerman. That dude.....Sigh. He's definitely a shotmaker, but I like a bit more precision in my BB 8 ball. :D

Russ

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vote for Russ's run here. Only way I see with out guessing where a bunch of balls will go. After the 2 is moved, all other shots are close to stop shot.

MarcusG19

Future Best In Canada
Silver Member
I think this has already been posted, but here is my choice.

Play the 12 in the corner, having set the CB such as to follow into the 2/8 in such a way as to push them apart.. Should have the 15 ball in the lower right corner next, if your speed is good.

From there, it is a stop to get on the ball in the side and then follow to pick up the other two stripes..Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

If you can get out right now, no reason to play safe.

Short Bus Russ, C player

CueTable Help

exactly what i was going to say, once u moove the 2 and the 8 the rest of the out is pretty simple, maybe not easy, but simple

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this has already been posted, but here is my choice.

Play the 12 in the corner, having set the CB such as to follow into the 2/8 in such a way as to push them apart.. Should have the 15 ball in the lower right corner next, if your speed is good.

From there, it is a stop to get on the ball in the side and then follow to pick up the other two stripes..Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

If you can get out right now, no reason to play safe.

Short Bus Russ, C player

CueTable Help

I like your option the best providing that the 12 has access to that corner pocket. I like it better because you can easily direct the cue ball to the eight ball and it will give you a better shot on the 15 ball to the far corner.

Playing the 12 to the side pocket is a bit tricky and with the shot being more delicate it could be prone to be mis-hit because you might have to slightly elevate the butt and with more angle.

I would prefer to play it in the corner like you say also because it will allow me to roll the cue ball with a level cue and with less angle making the hit on the eight ball more comfortable.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or they got their ass handed to them by someone who "can't play."

"If only we played on the big table."
"Who plays bank shape?"
"I'd like to see him run 6 racks on a 9 foot."
"He got lucky with that kick shot."

So how'd you play it Jude?

I posted my pattern before but will say it again. I made the 12 in the side (it didn't go in the corner IRL), bumped the 2, took care of the 15, cutting across to take care of the 14/9 and used the 13 as the keyball to the 8. I figured once I got rid of the 12 and 15, what happened next really didn't matter.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
as others have said, 12 to the upper left corner with just a bit of an angle to allow follow to kick the 2 to the left rail. Hopefully you won't be jacked on the 8, but left with a decent shot on the 15 to the lower right corner. 13 to the top side, then 14 and 9 to upper left (in either order), 8 to the lower left and RACK!

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted my pattern before but will say it again. I made the 12 in the side (it didn't go in the corner IRL), bumped the 2, took care of the 15, cutting across to take care of the 14/9 and used the 13 as the keyball to the 8. I figured once I got rid of the 12 and 15, what happened next really didn't matter.

Jude;

I would prefer not to go from side to side, 15 to 14/9 to 13. You have less options in case you make a small angle error in position. The 14/9 isn't the greatest set up for the 13, which is not a bad shot if your on it right. The 8 ball isn't, after the tip, in a position such that the keyball is of big concern. Moving the CB side to side presents more chance for error. Of course, if your angle on the 15 is bad, you may have to do it.

Actually, I would consider the 13 as more of a problem ball because its location, suggesting to me that it should be shot at first opportunity.

tingen

Registered
On a barbox I really like my chances of getting out after executing this shot:

CueTable Help

The safety behind the 9 is a good safe, but with this out available, I don't think you should play safe.

I'd prefer to play this in the side rather than in the corner with follow, because the way the CB hits the 2 is extremely sensitive to the exact angle you give yourself if you follow. Line up a fraction too much angle, and you hit the 2 thin rather than full. Cutting it in the side, it's hard to get the angle wrong. The only thing I'd worry about is getting jacked up over the 8, which isn't a deal-breaker with the next ball so close, and which probably won't happen due to the CB's tendency to roll forward a little after contact with the 2.

-Andrew

I would go for this.

Opening up the 8, 15 corner pocket, 13 side pocket, 9 and 14 corner pocket then 8.

Key shoot the 12 in side pocket.

12 in corner pocket is also a option, like Russ Chewning sugest. I think its more risking as CB might end up kissing the 7 and making runout much harder.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude;

I would prefer not to go from side to side, 15 to 14/9 to 13. You have less options in case you make a small angle error in position. The 14/9 isn't the greatest set up for the 13, which is not a bad shot if your on it right. The 8 ball isn't, after the tip, in a position such that the keyball is of big concern. Moving the CB side to side presents more chance for error. Of course, if your angle on the 15 is bad, you may have to do it.

Actually, I would consider the 13 as more of a problem ball because its location, suggesting to me that it should be shot at first opportunity.

I wasn't in love with the location of the 13 BUT once again, this is a barbox so I wasn't terribly intimidated by it, either. My concern was to open up the 8-ball and have a shot on the 15. Yes, the angle I ended up getting was a little bigger than I would have preferred forcing me to cross the width of the table. It didn't bother me that much because I figured I'd be positioning for the 14 AND the 9 and would simply decide how to address them then. Taking the 13 earlier would have been nice but I simply didn't think the risk/reward made it worthwhile.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Honestly I am probably moving from here. I would likely line up the 13-3 combo to the upper corner and shoot it drawing back abit behind the 12 and 15.

CueTable Help

From there my opponent is in trouble, they have a soft 2 rail kick trying to just touch the 7 and hook me frozen on the 8, or they can try and tie some of my stuff up, but from here I am in control of the table and can torture them for abit with a slow kill.

Even if I am shooting well and a strong favorite to win on the runout I dont like shooting the second shot short side jacked up over the 8-ball after breaking the 2 off of it. I might be a 85% favorite to run out but I am a better bet to win on the safety battle and it has the added advantage of also getting to my opponent depending on their mindset.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly I am probably moving from here. I would likely line up the 13-3 combo to the upper corner and shoot it drawing back abit behind the 12 and 15.

CueTable Help

From there my opponent is in trouble, they have a soft 2 rail kick trying to just touch the 7 and hook me frozen on the 8, or they can try and tie some of my stuff up, but from here I am in control of the table and can torture them for abit with a slow kill.

Even if I am shooting well and a strong favorite to win on the runout I dont like shooting the second shot short side jacked up over the 8-ball after breaking the 2 off of it. I might be a 85% favorite to run out but I am a better bet to win on the safety battle and it has the added advantage of also getting to my opponent depending on their mindset.

I just don't understand your thinking here. You are 85% favorite to run out, yet you don't want to? ANYTIME you let your opponent to the table, he has the opportunity to put things in his favor. And, it is amazing how many crazy ways they can accidentally do it.

If you like to win, take the opportunity when it arises. In this scenario, you may think you are playing smart by shooting that combo, but I feel you are making a big mistake. If you were playing me, and did that, you would be in trouble.

I would shoot your 15 down onto the 7, and it is very possible that I could also get the 12 there on the same shot. In doing that, I could possibly bump the 2 with the 15, moving it just an inch or so, but making it playable. Now, YOU are the one in trouble. You have 2 balls tied up with mine, and you only have the 13 available (might not even have that after the combo) to break them out. And, in breaking them out, you have really no control over the break out. You might not even have a shot on one of them, and might not even get them both broke out.

Essentially, if you are so uncomfortable shooting the 15 while possibly jacked up over the 8, you really need to practice those type of shots. Remember, the idea is to win the game, not run up innings. Just because I don't have a good shot on solids, doesn't mean I am even going to shoot at my balls. I am going to mess up your balls so YOU have to break mine out. If necessary, I will start shooting your balls in the hole, and make YOU make the mistakes!

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CueTable Help

that option is out there.... Any safe here would be from the 9. I would freeze behind the 14 and send the 9 long bank into cluster. That said, I would never play the safe. I think you are playing too late into the night after too many drinks.:thumbup:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I actually like making the 7 with the 15 and putting the cue ball behind the 12. Gives me a chance to get ball in hand again and I now can use the 15 as my last shot and out ball.

If I'm playing the out I'm shooting the 12 first in the side and moving the 2 out of the way. Then either the 15 or the 13 depending on how I left myself. I'd prefer to shoot the 15, then 13, then 9, 14, 8.

Probably depends more on who I'm playing in all honestly.

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how many ball in hands are you looking for? I say, ball in hand is the best shape I'm able to play... I just need a good shot up the rail over a ball to run out! why risk them kicking safe, missing the safety or bad breakout.