Mastering Pool w/Mika Immonen

Clark_the_Shark

Has 9-Ball-itis
Silver Member
3 DVDs of some of the best pool information ever put on video. The production quality is out of this world. Very well put together with great computer generated diagrams and pictures. Not to mention Mika's dialog while he runs racks of 8-ball, 9-ball, & 10-ball.

The DVDs are separated by Beginner, Intermediate, & Advanced with lessons growing in difficulty as each one progresses. Everything is explained clearly and accurately.

I would recommend this set for players of all levels, and are worth every penny.

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
Hold on a sec!

Now just who the heck you think you are for posting a review? Some people really frown on that around here!:rolleyes:

I need to see your permit for sharing a personal opinion on a public forum.

I also need a professionally done recording of you playing so I can see if you are qualified to watch a dvd and form an opinion on what you thought about it. ( but wait, I forgot, I am not qualified to see if you are qualified! crap, now what do we do?)

I mean it is the least you can do! We can't have just anyone having opinions around here.:eek:

ok, just kidding. Good post! These dvd's sound good.

what do they sell for? I am honestly curious about them ( not going where some might think).

Jw

Clark_the_Shark

Has 9-Ball-itis
Silver Member
http://www.mastering-pool.com/ They sell for I think $80 plus or minus shipping.

[edit] the only qualification I have and need is that I like to play pool and have watched these DVDs. I am perfectly capable of evaluating whether I thought something was valuable to me or not. But I definitely appreciate the good joking reference...

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
I know you know I was just messing with you.

I appriciate your post. I do think I will try out these dvd's. You are not the first to recomend them as being very good.

I think I am going to wait till after xmas, but will prob get me a set.

Jw

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Very profession and well done. Nice graphics. The banking and kicking section is worth the price alone. The bonus sections of Mika running racks shows his skills and would have been worth buying on another DVD.

Worth the money.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was going to order - initially the shipping charge was $9.00 - after finalizing the order a handling/shipping charge of $17.00 was added instead of only $9.00 - tell me up front what the additonal charges are - don't put it in at the very end - I don't buy from people doing business like this.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Actually, shipping is free on all items. I changed this just a few hours ago. You must have tried to place an order as the changes were being made.

I make the movies and run the site all by myself, and considering that I'm just a pool player who's trying to make a living, mistakes do tend to happen. Please email me next time if you encounter such a problem.

meximan2469

WPBL
Silver Member
Great Christmas Gift

I received these last year for Christmas (good wife), They are by far the best quality instructional material I have, and I have quite a bit. Not to mention the quality of the production is top notch. I agree that the section of banking and kicking is great...but by far my favorite was the special features with Mika narrating his thoughts through racks of 8 and 9 ball. You really get inside the pros thought process while he imagines patterns you would have never thought of in a million years.

Top Notch Stuff I highly recommend it for any beginner, or seasoned player there is a sometthing for everyone.

Great Gift.

Dave

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Clark, since you have viewed both sets (Mika's and Max's) which do you feel is better for advanced players?

Woody

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Clark, since you have viewed both sets (Mika's and Max's) which do you feel is better for advanced players?

Woody

This is supposed to be an unbiased review board, so I'll make this short and say just one quick thing.

The 3 volume series is directed at the main demographic of the sport, which tends to be league players. The 3rd volume 'Advanced' is targetted at the upper caliber of these players. It however is not intended for die hard players who have been playing for an extended period of time.

Mika and I are planning an Expert level DVD in the near future (probably next year). This new volume will address extremely advanced aspects of the game, so depending on your level of skill, you might be better off just waiting for this new volume.

I'm ruining my business by saying this, but I made these DVDs to teach people, and I'd hate like hell to disappoint anyone. Then again, if you're not a run out player, volume 3 might be just what you're looking for.

Clark_the_Shark

Has 9-Ball-itis
Silver Member

Woody

For ADVANCED players... the Mika DVDs are definitely better. But all the pros have MASTERED the fundamentals taught in Max's DVDs. So... it really depends on what you need help with. Mika's show all the different types of shots, Max hammers on fundamentals... I'd recommend Mastering Pool for the more advanced player.

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
This is supposed to be an unbiased review board, so I'll make this short and say just one quick thing.

The 3 volume series is directed at the main demographic of the sport, which tends to be league players. The 3rd volume 'Advanced' is targetted at the upper caliber of these players. It however is not intended for die hard players who have been playing for an extended period of time.

Mika and I are planning an Expert level DVD in the near future (probably next year). This new volume will address extremely advanced aspects of the game, so depending on your level of skill, you might be better off just waiting for this new volume.

I'm ruining my business by saying this, but I made these DVDs to teach people, and I'd hate like hell to disappoint anyone. Then again, if you're not a run out player, volume 3 might be just what you're looking for.

I can appreciate an honest response like this.

I will say that I just checked out your website and it looks very good!

Even though I see most of it as a review, I still think it would be worthwhile for me. I am also helping a very new player learn the game right now, so I could use some review and some good examples of certain situations. At the very least it looks pretty entertaining. Production looks amazing. Very clearly presented.

I do have one question. The bonus stuff, is it the same on all 3 dvds? They each say 12 racks. Is the same footage repeated on each dvd , or is the bonus material different on each?

Thanks.

You can expect an oreder from me prob right after christmas ( or at least after I finish my christmas shopping!)

Any special offers for AZ?

Jw

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
I just went back and checked out the venom trick shot dvd. OMG!!

That is unbelievable. I think my jaw dropped through the whole preview!

Some of that is just sick.:eek:

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
I do have one question. The bonus stuff, is it the same on all 3 dvds? They each say 12 racks. Is the same footage repeated on each dvd , or is the bonus material different on each?

There's a total of 36 racks, 12 on each disc. I filmed them all from 3 different camera angles too, so you get a nice view of each run out. There's also a picture-in-picture overhead view in the corner of the screen. Mika's pretty quiet most of the time, so I fed him a few drinks during the recording of these. He kept rambling about the traffic outside. lol

Here's a sample rack if you're interested (it will play in almost every video player except windows media player):

http://www.mastering-pool.com/samples_5.flv

I just went back and checked out the venom trick shot dvd. OMG!! That is unbelievable. I think my jaw dropped through the whole preview!

lol thanks. I'm just finishing that up now. I had hoped to have it out long before xmas, but sadly it's taking me longer than anticipated. The official release date is the 21st.

As for special deals, I have a free shipping promo going on right now. This includes international orders too. :)

Thanks again for the compliments.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I'm glad to see this product listed here. I ran across the site a month or so ago and have been really curious about them. Thanks for all the input!

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

QUOTE]

Will you give the buyers of the first 3 a discount on Vol 4? If it is as good as the first 3 it will be a great addition.

Keep up the good work.

Aprazur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You Nathan

Folks,

:cool: I got my Mastering Pool DVD's from Nathan in 8 days, just like he said it would take from Canada to Florida. Per post mark, he mailed them the same day he got my money.

Its nice to deal with someone who does what they say they will do. Nathan is very helpful and a nice person to do business with.

By the way...The Mika Immonen DVD's are OUTSTANDING. The production quality is excellent. Graphics are Hollywood class professional and the sound level is excellent. A lot of information for both newbie and old dog players like myself.

These DVD's should be #1 on everybody's "Want" list.

Jerry

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with the positive reviews. I can watch Mika play for hours.
His stroke is poetry in motion, just amazing.
All 3 volumes are outstanding.
I wish Mika's commentary to the games was done immediately after the games so he could remember his thinking process a little better.

All in all great stuff!

I want the next volume!

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nathan, please put me on the contact list for the 4th volume. I found some interesting bits on #3 (although they were basically different takes on what I already do), but #1 & #2 didn't provide much to me. Would no doubt be very good where they fit.
I expect #4 would be of more real interest for me.

Last edited: